Short story contest

edited October 13 in General Discussion
I think Derek Brinkman recently said in an interview that Citadel Studios is not going to put all their effort into lore/story creation, but instead let the players create the lore in game. There is already some established lore in the game and three short stories created by Tim Cotten, that have since vanished from the home page. Essentially there are two creator gods, Lily and Eve, that have grown tired of their own omnipotence and wish to be surpassed by lesser gods (if I recall correctly).

Here is an interesting story background narrated by Tim Cotten in 2014: Gods and Conflict with Tim Cotten http://www.legendsofaria.com/story-qa-gods-and-conflict/

Would people be willing to engage in a short story contest for Legends of Aria? The best story elements could be incorporated in the game, npc dialogue, whatever. Currently the story component is underdeveloped and would benefit from more quality content. Stories are important in RPG games.

Comments

• When they say lore created by players, I think they’re being more literal. The story is forged by player adventures and guild/faction wars. You create the history through actual gameplay. If you look at UO, yeah there was a backstory, but that’s not what people remember. What they remember is that time lord british was killed, or when Britain was invaded by horrible monsters, when trinsic was a trap with player killers baracading it, that murderer who the entire server feared, and the countless other player influences on the world.
  • edited October 13
    Nefarious said:

When they say lore created by players, I think they’re being more literal. The story is forged by player adventures and guild/faction wars. You create the history through actual gameplay. If you look at UO, yeah there was a backstory, but that’s not what people remember. What they remember is that time lord british was killed, or when Britain was invaded by horrible monsters, when trinsic was a trap with player killers baracading it, that murderer who the entire server feared, and the countless other player influences on the world.

Valid point. But back in the day when UO was launched there wasn't as much competition. I don't think that having a better story would hurt the game. Immersion is something this game will rely on.
  • Oh no doubt. I thought there would be a bit of story in the game trailer. That is the point though, where I realized what they meant by a story created by the players. Our actions, drama, personal beef, building of wealth, manipulation, and adventures are what create the story. I think it’s an easy way to avoid having to come up with rich lore, that half the players may not like. Play style freedom allows the story to unfold, without them cramming a story down our throats.

I remember in UO, players used to write stories in books, and leave them around for people to find. Some houses had “Lore Libraries” that was just endless shelves of player written stories you could click and read. In the WoW forums people used to make HUGE threads with WoW lore related stories.

I wonder if we can create lore libraries in houses and such. It allowed people who were interested in those stories to visit and read them. I didn’t see anything like this in LoA, but I believe the blank books would be super easy to script in. I made a similar book script in RunUO and it literally only took me an hour to create.
  • Nefarious said:

Oh no doubt. I thought there would be a bit of story in the game trailer. That is the point though, where I realized what they meant by a story created by the players. Our actions, drama, personal beef, building of wealth, manipulation, and adventures are what create the story. I think it’s an easy way to avoid having to come up with rich lore, that half the players may not like. Play style freedom allows the story to unfold, without them cramming a story down our throats.

I remember in UO, players used to write stories in books, and leave them around for people to find. Some houses had “Lore Libraries” that was just endless shelves of player written stories you could click and read. In the WoW forums people used to make HUGE threads with WoW lore related stories.

I wonder if we can create lore libraries in houses and such. It allowed people who were interested in those stories to visit and read them. I didn’t see anything like this in LoA, but I believe the blank books would be super easy to script in. I made a similar book script in RunUO and it literally only took me an hour to create.

The problem I found with LoA, is that items decay on ground within the minutes.
    A big part of games like UO and Tibia, was that when you placed items on ground it stayed there (or at least until next server restart). So this allowed things like that (and many other creative and unpredicted things) to happen.
    But in LoA. If you would have placed a scroll with text on ground for someone to read. It'd just dissapear :/
  • Well UO shortened those times too. World clutter just gets to be a problem.

I still like the idea if players being able to write books and make their own “Lore Library.”