Population size and concurrent users

Hello everyone, Trammie Surprise here and very excited for the launch this month but having a hard time getting my guild excited and was hoping you all could answer some questions.

1. How many concurrent users can a server hold and what was the peak users on a server at 1 time thus far? A large concern my gaming community has is that a few guys tried playing during the Alpha about a month or so ago and they said the world was empty everywhere they ran. This is a little concerning since many titles coming out recently have loaded pay to play betas.

2. Will the ability for all players to run their own server dilute the population of the official server?

3. Will the steam release still be considered beta? Will their be a wipe on the official server at some point after early access?

4. Can someone explain how housing works? This is a feature many of my guys really loved in UO but outside of digging through the forums I find it hard to find any real information.

Thank you all for any responses, I have not played yet myself as I am still active in UO but I am very excited for the release of the successor.

Comments

• GrungeGrunge Mountains
    edited October 9
    Steam launch will be on december 4, not this month.

1 - Peak afaik was 400ish, caps was not informed till now
    2 - Depends on the type of the server, there are demands for different types of servers, ie: there were already pve only players crying here cause they wanted pve-only servers, so its an option.
    3 - Early access, no wipes after steam
    4 - You have to buy a blueprint from a npc vendor, and search for a spot that you can deploy your house (without terrain objects that dont let you deploy it). Very UO-like, except for custom houses that are not implemented yet.
  • Grunge said:

2 - Depends on the type of the server, there are demands for different types of servers, ie: there were already pve only players crying here cause they wanted pve-only servers, so its an option.
    4 - You have to buy a blueprint from a npc vendor, and search for a spot that you can deploy your house (without terrain objects that dont let you deploy it). Very UO-like, except for custom houses that are not implemented yet.

The housing system has been revamped. There are no longer pre fab houses. You must first buy a land deed. That deed allows you to claim a small parcel of land. There is a weekly tax you must pay to keep the plot. You can expand your plot, but the larger your plot the larger your weekly tax bill. You can keep the land house free and put whatever you want on it, but if you want lock boxes for storage, you will need a house. To get a house, you need to buy a foundation and place it on your plot. You then use mats to build your house. The larger the house the more mats are needed and a larger plot is needed.

It reminds me of how housing was done in Second Life.

I hope this helps.
  • Oh, and during the stress test we were able to crash one zone of the server with about 450 people on. The whole server, however, should support thousands, unless we all pile into one zone at the same time.
  • Teufel said:

Grunge said:

The housing system has been revamped. There are no longer pre fab houses. You must first buy a land deed. That deed allows you to claim a small parcel of land. There is a weekly tax you must pay to keep the plot. You can expand your plot, but the larger your plot the larger your weekly tax bill. You can keep the land house free and put whatever you want on it, but if you want lock boxes for storage, you will need a house. To get a house, you need to buy a foundation and place it on your plot. You then use mats to build your house. The larger the house the more mats are needed and a larger plot is needed.

I hope this helps.
    Hey, thanks for that info. I was curious about the housing changes. I hope they run one more test before launch....

• TeufelTeufel Aria
    edited October 9
    Nefarious said:

Teufel said:

Grunge said:

I hope this helps.
    Hey, thanks for that info. I was curious about the housing changes. I hope they run one more test before launch....

Here’s a sneak peek from Supreem.

imageimage
  • Wow, interesting. One must wonder though.... how do they intend to handle rocks, brush, etc... Even some areas flat in appearance aren’t housing ready. Perhaps some type of excavating option?
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    Teufel said:

Grunge said:

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the update! I didnt like the tax part tho... I always thought about that as unecessary gold sink. I know they want to free spaces from non-playing people, but there are other ways to do so... It smells like Archeage :(
  • The tax doesn’t bother me. It’s either tax or decay. I’d rather have a tax. I do hope though that they get rid of house decay.
  • PetrPetr Czech Republic
    I hope that with this change they also change the decay of house.. For example that the house/plot will remain untill you run out of money for rent :wink: Beause 1 month decay for house, which they mentioned before, is sick for vacation planing.
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    edited October 9
    I dont get this gold sink... its like you dont have the option to buy the house, just rent it...
    I prefer a decay system, that if the player doesnt log in 2 months, the house decays, something like that...
    I mean, this game is not like d3 where gold drops from everywhere lol
  • edited October 9
    Honestly, I believe that taxes will likely be so easy to cover you won’t even notice.
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    Nefarious said:

Honestly, I believe that taxes will likely be so easy to cover you won’t even notice.

This makes sense, otherwise it will turn into a elitist system that only allows hc players to have houses. Deja vu :P
  • You can always play a community server which doesn't have taxes that would be nice
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    edited October 10
    Nefarious said:

https://www.legendsofaria.com/forums/discussion/comment/35738/#Comment_35738

Edit: also decay was removed, tax is all that's required to remain in your possession.
  • beater07beater07 America
    edited October 10
    I fear that people will accidentally spend too much gold/forget how much is in their Bank and down goes their house followed by rage quit.

Is there a warning period if you cannot pay the tax that is very hard to miss and maybe lasts a week or two?
  • I don’t know. If there’s no management plan in place or any grace period, I’ll probably just make sure that each week I have a seperate stock in my bank that is atleast my taxes for the month. Easy to manage if you just make sure the stack of gold is never less than a months taxes.
  • Your avatar goes to debtors prison...
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    beater07 said:

I fear that people will accidentally spend too much gold/forget how much is in their Bank and down goes their house followed by rage quit.

Is there a warning period if you cannot pay the tax that is very hard to miss and maybe lasts a week or two?

Taxes are a separate non refundable balance that can be paid directly at the plot or a banker, any player can help pay the tax at the plot. The balance remains on ownership transfer.

There is a grace period before plot is put up for public auction. The exact time frames may still be altered but currently the grace period is 48 hours after taxes are collected.

All tax will be collected from all plots same time each week.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @trammie_surprise, I felt everyone answered your other questions already.
  • Kade said:

beater07 said:

Taxes are a separate non refundable balance that can be paid directly at the plot or a banker, any player can help pay the tax at the plot. The balance remains on ownership transfer.

There is a grace period before plot is put up for public auction. The exact time frames may still be altered but currently the grace period is 48 hours after taxes are collected.

All tax will be collected from all plots same time each week.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @trammie_surprise, I felt everyone answered your other questions already.
    Thanks for the great info!

Some of us are wondering if an auction comes up, will that include things on the plot, or will items/house on the plot decay by the end of the public auction?

Also, can taxes be paid in advance?

Thanks!!
  • I don’t believe you.... I’m convinced you guys call the IRS lol