A few questions before I purchase.

Von_WulfenVon_Wulfen United Kingdom
edited October 6 in General Discussion
Hello all.
I have recently been on the hunt for a good isometric Rpg.
I was a bit disappointed with PoE and the new Pathfinder game, I kept thinking I wish they were more open like the old Ultima Online game.
So I did a search on Ultima Online and kept seeing references to Legends of Aria being Ultima's spiritual successor.
I also noted that it would be coming to Steam on October 4th. I was really hyped to find this game so I watched a few vids on youtube and here I am :)
Now for a couple of questions if I may.
1 What are the differences between UO servers and standard LoA servers?
2 Does LoA have its own distinct gameworld separate from UO universe?
3 If I purchase now will I be able to play now and link to my steam account on steam release?
4 Will the steam release be the same price as on the LoA website?
5 Will, there be a monthly sub, and if so how much?
Many thanks :)

Comments

• 1) The servers are completely different. UO uses a system of live server management. LoA uses a cluster to populate lists with options to connect to their official server or mod (player run) servers.

2) LoA while mechanically similar, has its own world, it’s own unique touches, and its own lore that will be created by the players.

3) If you purchase now, you can play on mod servers by directly connecting (see list in their forum). Official is down at the moment until a possible final test phase is opened, or launch. They should be sending out steam keys before launch, so the launch will be on steam and linked to steam accounts.

4) It’s unclear at this time what the steam price will be. I believe supreme stated in a podcast interview that they were aiming for a price close to the cheapest founder pack cost.

5) There are no plans for a monthly sub. They may at some point add an in game store, but it will be purely cosmetic items that cannot grant any in game advantages.
  • Von_WulfenVon_Wulfen United Kingdom
    Nefarious said:

1) The servers are completely different. UO uses a system of live server management. LoA uses a cluster to populate lists with options to connect to their official server or mod (player run) servers.

2) LoA while mechanically similar, has its own world, it’s own unique touches, and its own lore that will be created by the players.

3) If you purchase now, you can play on mod servers by directly connecting (see list in their forum). Official is down at the moment until a possible final test phase is opened, or launch. They should be sending out steam keys before launch, so the launch will be on steam and linked to steam accounts.

4) It’s unclear at this time what the steam price will be. I believe supreme stated in a podcast interview that they were aiming for a price close to the cheapest founder pack cost.

5) There are no plans for a monthly sub. They may at some point add an in game store, but it will be purely cosmetic items that cannot grant any in game advantages.

Many thanks, Nefarious.
    Could you explain a little more about the mod servers, please?
    Apart from UO mods are they based on the Aria world?
    Even though it was thoughts of UO that led me here, I am intrigued to learn more about the world of Aria :)

• Apart from UO mods are they based on the Aria world?

For now they all use the same map, but that will be changing soon(ish) and custom servers will be able to build their own maps.
    Squid said:

For now they all use the same map, but that will be changing soon(ish) and custom servers will be able to build their own maps.
    Many thanks, Squid.
    Does that mean some of the mod servers are the same gameplay mechanics, crafting etc as Aria?
  • Squid said:

Many thanks, Squid.
    Does that mean some of the mod servers are the same gameplay mechanics, crafting etc as Aria?
    Currently I don’t think they’re able to use custom assets. So they use the existing map, already imbedded skills, models,mobs, etc... and edit things such as behaviors, damage values, NPCs, names of things/places, so on and so forth.

Keep in mind that these changes make the mod servers play moderately different. A mod server like LoU will have a similar but different feel from LoA official. Once these servers can use their own maps, models, and make game changing modifications to the game, you’ll start to see VERY different worlds.
    Nefarious said:

Squid said:

Many thanks, Squid.
    Currently I don’t think they’re able to use custom assets. So they use the existing map, already imbedded skills, models,mobs, etc... and edit things such as behaviors, damage values, NPCs, names of things/places, so on and so forth.

Keep in mind that these changes make the mod servers play moderately different. A mod server like LoU will have a similar but different feel from LoA official. Once these servers can use their own maps, models, and make game changing modifications to the game, you’ll start to see VERY different worlds.
    Many thanks, Nefarious.
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains

Hello all.
    I have recently been on the hunt for a good isometric Rpg.
    I was a bit disappointed with PoE and the new Pathfinder game, I kept thinking I wish they were more open like the old Ultima Online game.
    So I did a search on Ultima Online and kept seeing references to Legends of Aria being Ultima's spiritual successor.
    I also noted that it would be coming to Steam on October 4th. I was really hyped to find this game so I watched a few vids on youtube and here I am :)
    Now for a couple of questions if I may.
    1 What are the differences between UO servers and standard LoA servers?
    UO atm have a much bigger world than LoA (of course), more skills, boats and custom houses. The rest is very similar.

2 Does LoA have its own distinct gameworld separate from UO universe?
    Yep, and the devs are build an engine to let admins create their own worlds!

3 If I purchase now will I be able to play now and link to my steam account on steam release?
    You will receive a key for your 1week headstart.

4 Will the steam release be the same price as on the LoA website?
    We dont know yet!

5 Will, there be a monthly sub, and if so how much?
    Thanks god, no! Thanks god again!

Many thanks :)