POLL: Please allow Gate/Recall to Houses.

edited October 6 in General Discussion
Let’s say a player wants to run a vendor house/mall. But oops, all the good plots were taken day 1. It might not even be a matter of losing the race... maybe they found LoA 6 months after launch. They have no chance to play the game how they want, which is the entire point of the game!

I understand the reason for travel mechanics. You want people to get immersed in and explore the world. That’s fine, and great even. I’m not asking for rune books, or rune marking, or any of that. People should have to learn their way around and travel to dungeons and such. But recall/gate to your home is almost necessary.

Let’s look at all the reasons gating to homes is needed:

Vendor Location: New or late players will have a hard time getting even a simple vendor operation going without the ability to send people to their homes. The could have as much as a 7 minute run mounted (much longer dismounted) to their home from any populated area. We all know players focus in areas. Try being in Valus and telling someone to visit your vendors in the desert. Players still have to work by burning resources opening gates and spending time advertising.

RP/Friend Immersion: Perhaps you like to have friends or guests over for a meeting or a mug of ale. Won’t be much of a LaserTools when your house is to far to run to....

Storage: Any game needs pacing. We are already time gated by running to town, running to dungeons, running to spawns, running to champs... so on and so forth. Getting to your own home to dump some items of grab something for a friend should not be a time gate.

I’m sure other people can think of many other reasons. Let’s keep in mind though, that running one side of the continent to the other takes roughly 42 minutes, MOUNTED! I know, there’s transport towers, but seriously....

Here’s how it can work without breaking the game. Only the owner of a home can gate to that home. Guildmasters can designate their own house a guildhouse, allowing guild members to recall to the guild house. There will be no runes, no rune marking, no rune books. I personally feel like hating to houses is necessary for many players who wish to run a business but can’t get prime real estate. Just starting the game late could put players at a significant disadvantage that goes far beyond catching up in character strength. People who want to be crafters only would find it difficult to play without combat...

Take the poll!

easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5bb8f064e4b064885fea4a35

Comments

• ...Something stopping you from gating right next to a house?
  • Squid said:

...Something stopping you from gating right next to a house?

If your house is in the middle of nowhere, and you’re not near a teleport tower, then you have to run to your house. In some cases, that can burn a lot of your game time.

Currently you can’t mark runes (this isn’t UO) so there is no way to recall or gate to your house. This also means that only those who place houses first will have a viable location for vendors. Let’s face it, everything near towns or dungeons will be gone in a day.

Honestly my concern is for community building. This isn’t UO, but the social possibilities are the same. Some guy in town gating people to a large vendor mall, or player made auction house. Possibly someone who lives in a player made city giving people a gate to that city. I don’t have an issue with running. Every game does it. Old UO you ran till you could get a horse, FFXI you ran till you got a chocobo license, Vanilla wow you ran till level 40 and paid 100g for a mount. They all do it, and it’s fine. But most games also allow you some form of expedited movement you your house. In UO it was port/gate, in FFXI you had access to your mpg house in every town, in WoW after they had garrisons you could hearth to it (not a house, but close!).

Running to dungeons is acceptable. Running to towns is acceptable. Running to your house, particularly if you want to have vendors just sucks.

• Are you talking about a specific community server? Because mark/gate works just fine on the LoA server (or did when it went offline), and while you can't gate in to a house plot, you can open a gate right next to one.
  • Hmmm... I went offline during Beta II, so maybe I missed that while moving back to my hometown. You weren’t able to gate to homes before. If they changed that, I’ll be really stoked. I hated running to my house. Didn’t mind running everywhere else, but my house annoyed me.
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    I also thought they had removed lots of fast travel resources, and than I stopped playing on official server. Did they changed it?
  • You can still mark runes and gate to where the rune was marked. You cannot gate directly into your house, but you can mark a rune right next to it and gate/portal there. Recall was removed. The stuck option is also planned to be removed.
  • They removed recall? LoL. That’s going to suck for non mages.
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    Yeah, its really a letdown for me... Recall rules so much :/
    I really hope that when the map gets bigger, they add recall again
  • Grunge said:

Fear not. They will be fine tuning aspects of the game well beyond steam launch. Games that are 15+ years old are still making changes and adjustments. Look at UO, FFXI, WoW, etc...
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    Nefarious said:

Grunge said:

Fear not. They will be fine tuning aspects of the game well beyond steam launch. Games that are 15+ years old are still making changes and adjustments. Look at UO, FFXI, WoW, etc...
    Although its really nice to know, it reveals my age lol
  • I feel ya. I’m getting a few grey hairs now, particularly in the beard, and it’s driving me crazy!
  • There is a non mage way to “recall” if you will. You can buy an item at the inn that you can mark and use one time. Then it vanishes. The main reason for all this is they want people to run around the map, use towers and maybe barter for a portal. They want us to interact.

But I feel ya. You can always use portal scrolls, which make it possible to portal with lower Margery.
  • Oh I’m fine with it. I main a mage anyways. I farm with a warrior, have a carpenter, and I dungeon craw and do champ spawn with my mage.
  • GrungeGrunge Mountains
    Teufel said:

There is a non mage way to “recall” if you will. You can buy an item at the inn that you can mark and use one time. Then it vanishes. The main reason for all this is they want people to run around the map, use towers and maybe barter for a portal. They want us to interact.

And let us get carpel tunnel xD