Back to LoA after long, looking for hints about crowned locations (merchant activities / npc shops)

Greetings citizens,

I was waiting for this moment since so long. After years of waiting, I can hardly believe this is really happening.
But it’s there! Less than 3 months and my dream of jumping again into an MMO, that will bring back the golden age and good times (if not making them even better) of Ultima Online.

I followed Shards Online (now since long renamed to LoA) in the last years, but this last year was a very busy year for me and I wasn’t able to catch up anymore and keeping an eye on community and all the major changes.
This is why I need your help – because now, despite I’ve 130 games sitting on my Steam Wishlist, I want to invest all my energy and time for this project.

My goal is to create a community / guild strongly focused on merchant activities, and having different “branded” shops, where NPC are restocked daily with all the needed supplies and rarities.
At the bottom there is a link to my recruiting thread where you can read all the details about activities, structure and goals of this guild, called House Of Silver.

Basically I need to know, based on the most recent experiences you had in the last months (on the official servers)

- Which regions and which locations are the most populated? Which are the cities where you’ve seen most people hanging in there together, or advertising selling wares?
- Outside the city areas: which spots were the best hunting ground, or the most dangerous one? And if we are talking about PvP, where did those epic battles take place?
- Crossroads / Passages: There are always crossroads or main roads that are taken very often from all kind of players, can you tell me more about them as well?

All those information are needed to find out in which city should we establish our HQ, and the area of interest mentioned above, the idea is to place our shops very close, in the way during any hunt, pvp battle, or just close to the most crowned roads, there will be always time to rest and refill with all the materials, weapons and much more you may need for your journey from our NPC Sellers.

Thank you a lot, looking forward to start this amazing adventure!

Best Regards,

Kerkyon

Comments

• Seems like you want the goods on housing areas, but I’m pretty sure there will be a housing rush at launch. Happens on every game with player housing. UO, LOTRO, FFXIV, etc... all had a huge housing rush. I doubt anyone is going to give up their strategic spots.

The best way to choose a housing spot is to find what suits your own needs. It may very well be a different game at launch.

I felt like the population was pretty spread out over cities. If so had to choose the most populated spot, I’d say Valus. That being said, I feel like Valus will lead the charge in the housing race.

They’ve cited a new way of doing housing, where you will buy land. I don’t think any of us are all that informed. I’m hoping we get a new test phase soon before launch. The entire point of purchasing during Alpha/Beta is to show support for development while also learning the ins and outs of the game. I expect a certain degree of change, new content, and a bit of the unknown. While testing, I was very careful NOT to play all aspects of the game. Need things to do that’ll keep me interested and motivated. That being said, I feel like housing is the one thing that backers and founders need to be on top of. I played Beta for UO and had no issues figuring out early housing. At final launch it was a nightmare though. Then every time a new land opened (Trammel, Malas) the rush was on, and so were the dirty tactics!
  • Kerkyon said:

... and having different “branded” shops, where NPC are restocked daily with all the needed supplies and rarities.

Can you explain that one line? Sounded interesting. Do we need to restock the NPC's? Can they run out of moss, and only way to refill that is from other players? Or perhaps they restock themselves but in a very slow rate?
    ... so many questions.
  • Fencce said:

Kerkyon said:

... and having different “branded” shops, where NPC are restocked daily with all the needed supplies and rarities.

Can you explain that one line? Sounded interesting. Do we need to restock the NPC's? Can they run out of moss, and only way to refill that is from other players? Or perhaps they restock themselves but in a very slow rate?
    ... so many questions.
    I think they are going for the UO style vendor mall. Generally a large house, with various vendors. Each vendor owner has a responsibility to restock and keep stocked the items that they sell. So if you sell Leather Armor, then you would check your vendor and stock more leather armor daily.

To my knowledge, players cannot have automatically restocking vendors. That would basically give the player money free, for randomly generated items. You have to physically get out and hunt, gather, or craft items for your vendor.
  • KerkyonKerkyon Switzerland
    Hi everyone,
    yes, I want to make something like UO Shopping Mall, but on a larger scale ;)
    Please feel free to check my other thread for more details:
    https://www.legendsofaria.com/forums/discussion/7018/recruiting-house-of-silver-the-guild-of-merchants-for-any-player-seeking-wealth-in-loa

The main idea is to have different shops with NPC Sellers on the best spots (crowded roads, close to hunting spots, near cities entrances, etc) and the responsible person in the guild about the Shop keeping duties, will make sure that daily all the stores will be manually restocked in the way players knows our shops will be always stocked with all they need, at least once a day :)
    Maybe there is the possibility to create a a sign with logo in front of the house, in the way shops of House of Silver guild are easily recognized :>

Thanks for any inputs about the best location to place our shops based on the last alpha you played.
  • Well people rush and place small homes in spots very quickly. Now tons of people already know the best spots, and they will be racing to get anything up to hold a spot. With the new coming land purchase mechanics, it may be even crazier, hard to tell....

You could try just outside Valus, but you better be faster than everyone else making gold. Our guild all made tons of new characters and streamlined the process to make fast gold and level skills quickly. I’m sure lots of other people did too.

This is EXACTLY why I wish we could mark dunes and gate to them. If you don’t beat the housing rush, you have no chance of getting business to your vendors. Plus I hate having to run super far to get to my house. Dungeons and such.... sure, run it out. But your house key should be a gate/recall object, or you should be able to bind to your house. This way players can gate traffic to their home.
    Thank you a lot for your information.

Ouch, it seems my plan is lot harder than expected to set it up, I wasn't aware there is already such a big/competitive playerbase during the last alpha/closed beta in this last year.

I'll see if I can get enough people interested in this project, otherwise I may consider to join a big/established build and fuel the economy taking care of this part.

Maybe you can give me some suggestions as well about which guilds were the most established during the last year, that they are not PvP-centric only?

Thanks!
  • Hmm... well I feel like some guilds due to drama from beta 1/2 will probably rebrand lol.

The player base was decent, particularly on the cusp of beta 2. Due to rule changes many PKers left the game, but I never felt like I was in an empty world at all. Every dungeon and farming spot always had atleast a few people around.

I just know between those of us who have already been playing, and those who will be playing, the housing rush will be insane the first day or 2.
  • You need to build your shop(s) across from the Helm tower. Good luck, though, because that will be the first housing plot claimed.
    edited October 15
    Thanks Squid and Nefarius for the info. Yeah, from what I hear it seems all the major guilds already have masterplans for landrush all the valuable spots :/ I doubt I will be able to get something good without the right preparations.. i'll be happy enough to have a normal house spot and will join a guild to enter the business and put the right dedication for economical conquer =>
  • blakheartblakheart san diego
    Kerkyon said:

Greetings citizens,

I was waiting for this moment since so long. After years of waiting, I can hardly believe this is really happening.
    But it’s there! Less than 3 months and my dream of jumping again into an MMO, that will bring back the golden age and good times (if not making them even better) of Ultima Online.

I followed Shards Online (now since long renamed to LoA) in the last years, but this last year was a very busy year for me and I wasn’t able to catch up anymore and keeping an eye on community and all the major changes.
    This is why I need your help – because now, despite I’ve 130 games sitting on my Steam Wishlist, I want to invest all my energy and time for this project.

My goal is to create a community / guild strongly focused on merchant activities, and having different “branded” shops, where NPC are restocked daily with all the needed supplies and rarities.
    At the bottom there is a link to my recruiting thread where you can read all the details about activities, structure and goals of this guild, called House Of Silver.

Basically I need to know, based on the most recent experiences you had in the last months (on the official servers)

- Which regions and which locations are the most populated? Which are the cities where you’ve seen most people hanging in there together, or advertising selling wares?
    - Outside the city areas: which spots were the best hunting ground, or the most dangerous one? And if we are talking about PvP, where did those epic battles take place?
    - Crossroads / Passages: There are always crossroads or main roads that are taken very often from all kind of players, can you tell me more about them as well?

All those information are needed to find out in which city should we establish our HQ, and the area of interest mentioned above, the idea is to place our shops very close, in the way during any hunt, pvp battle, or just close to the most crowned roads, there will be always time to rest and refill with all the materials, weapons and much more you may need for your journey from our NPC Sellers.

Thank you a lot, looking forward to start this amazing adventure!

Best Regards,

Kerkyon

Hi Kerkyon. I am also interested in crafting. Not afraid of pvp….just prefer pvm. Played UO since beta, 11 accounts at one time