Housing in Early Access

chrisx9chrisx9 christian@elfers.eu
Hi, i must admit that i havent played since may (since final-wipe-annoucement for summer). After reading some posts here and there i have the impression that there is a major change planned for the way housing works. Honestly, getting a good spot is my major reason for being a backpacker, so this is rahter important for me :-) Can you explain briefly what the plans for housing in early access are? Thanks and see you in Aria! Chris

Comments

• I think we’re all wondering the same thing. It seems they’re switching to a seeded land model. It should be interesting. I hope we get to test it soon to figure it out, report issues/bugs, and give feedback.

I am ok with the way housing has been, but I see what they are trying to do. With land ownership you would be able to customize for functionality better. House over here, stable over there, for over in this corner. I get it. I just hope it works well, and that the land cost is reasonable.
  • Instead of your property limits being determined by the size of your house, they'll be determined by the size of the land plot you purchase. This will allow players to buy a large plot of land, but place a small house on it—thus giving them a large yard for vendors or whatever. It also allows them to grab the land needed for a larger house should they choose to upgrade over time.

I would speculate, based on what they've hinted at in the past, that this is the first step towards and eventual custom housing system.
  • I’d be pretty stoked about custom housing. Back in the UO days, just seeing player houses lined up was cool. It’s a little less cool these days to see 10 of the same house in a row...
  • You can buy an above ground swimming pool in the loyalty points store!
  • edited October 5
    Teufel said:

You can buy an above ground swimming pool in the loyalty points store!

Epic
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    Briefly; a land deed will be provided at a reasonable price (don't quote me but think day or two of play)

All land is claimed as the smallest plot size, you can refund your land deed if the plot is empty. You can also resize the plot, for an increased tax rate. Plots are taxed weekly.

Finally a foundation can be placed given the space and resources can be added to turn it into a house.

Note: Keys are gone. Containers take their own lock down limit in houses and are secure. Containers not in houses cannot be locked or secured.
  • Has there been any thoughts or ideas around making a player-made city, to look like an actual city - and not just a bunch of houses randomly dropped around a grass-land area?
    In other words, making streets and lamp posts etc. around your plot, and connect it with that of other players.
    Most of the player-made cities looked more like camps in the beta. And even when there were roads, houses were built on the road.
  • Fencce said:

Has there been any thoughts or ideas around making a player-made city, to look like an actual city - and not just a bunch of houses randomly dropped around a grass-land area?
    In other words, making streets and lamp posts etc. around your plot, and connect it with that of other players.
    Most of the player-made cities looked more like camps in the beta. And even when there were roads, houses were built on the road.

I don’t think they want players to be able to edit the map, which is essentially what roads would do.

Off the top of my head though: Say miners could take loose stone and covert it to pavers. Then 10-15 pavers could be converted to a section of road, that can be placed on your property. So 10 house owners could run road and make them appear connected. If your house decays and falls, then your road goes with it. Just an idea to make it work. I don’t know....