Safe Zones

Have safe zones been reconsidered (to be removed)? If not, how are thieves expected to operate in cities, and what will stop people from simply staying inside safe zones to prevent anything bad ever happening to them?

Please no "you can have private server :)" trolling. Get lost. I want to know what kind of game this is going to be on official and only on official. Will there really be 0 risk involved in cities?

Can anyone explain the situation to me, please? I'm willing to listen and come around. I had high hopes for this game and want to have high hopes again.

Comments

• BarcodeBarcode san francisco
    edited September 11
    We should probably start with first having stealing. All games are a balancing act for keeping the ecosystem in tact, I'm sure they'll want thieves in it, and they'll keep their dashboards up to help tweaking to make sure it stays balanced. Same as IN UO, it starts one way and evolves into something else. There aren't many people attempting sandbox, so I say, try to have faith and patience first. Don't lose hope now, lose hope later. We aren't even in steam yet.

But to your point, it might help if you try and recommend how a balanced thievery mechanic could work, one that keeps your hopes high, but also makes sure thieves don't completely troll every new player into leaving.
  • BarcodeBarcode san francisco
    edited September 11
    Check out this link. This is the creator of UO describing the problem with making a new sandbox himself. He created a world and nothing worked, and everyone hated everything. The only reason it worked was because people STAYED with the game, and protested in game. They were passionate about it being better.

Starts at 12m24s

• Hazard89 said:

Have safe zones been reconsidered (to be removed)? If not, how are thieves expected to operate in cities, and what will stop people from simply staying inside safe zones to prevent anything bad ever happening to them?

Can anyone explain the situation to me, please? I'm willing to listen and come around. I had high hopes for this game and want to have high hopes again.

Well, for one thing, there's no stealing and thus, no thieves. They plan to add it, but I believe I read something about it being restricted to stealing from monsters.

The current insta-gib protected zones are a band-aid solution to a criminal justice system that wasn't working and was added to stop all the townkilling. I doubt CS considers it to be in its final form.
  • Hazard89Hazard89 Terra Australis
    Well that's very disappointing to hear. Thanks for the info.
  • Barcode said:

Check out this link. This is the creator of UO describing the problem with making a new sandbox himself. He created a world and nothing worked, and everyone hated everything. The only reason it worked was because people STAYED with the game, and protested in game. They were passionate about it being better.

Starts at 12m24s

All I think Garriot brought to UO was the U while Raph Koster and others brought the O and systems.
    Then again Garriot's latest game just like his last is trash and on life support.