Steam Concern - Dev response needed

I purchased this game non-steam because due to my job I cannot put steam on my work or home PC's, I work in a governmental capacity and steam is on the list of invasive software due to the nature of it's data collection.

Everything I read talks about steam release but nothing about the non steam version I purchased. Do I need to be concerned or will I just not be able to get into early access?

Comments

  • MorphMorph Denmark
    Good question, I would doubt that, since they will probably use the steam platform in the future to update and patch everyone’s client.
  • As far as I know, after October only steam will be available.
  • In the past Supreem always mentioned that while you will be able to convert your purchase to a Steam version, you do not have to because he is aware not everyone is going to want to use Steam.

    Still good to get official confirmation, but I do not believe this has changed.
  • Pharaun said:

    In the past Supreem always mentioned that while you will be able to convert your purchase to a Steam version, you do not have to because he is aware not everyone is going to want to use Steam.

    Likewise, CS doesn't want to give Steam a cut of the sale if they can avoid it.
  • JoxxJoxx United States
    You WILL not have to use steam.
  • I think we need official response at this point. Personally, I don't want them wasting Dev time on a launcher/patcher.
  • LoULoU Legends of Ultima
    I want them to "waste time" on a patcher. It's not a waste if it allows them to update the client often, since everyone who has more than one account would have to redownload the whole pack every time.
  • LoU said:

    I want them to "waste time" on a patcher. It's not a waste if it allows them to update the client often, since everyone who has more than one account would have to redownload the whole pack every time.

    What he meant is that Steam works as launcher so there is no need for standalone one.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    @Novica Depends, I wouldn't want to keep switching steam accounts to multibox. I think a easy solution is to keep e-mail logins available for steam so we can run multiple clients.

    I don't want them wasting any dev time for a launcher between now and Steam.
  • Yes. I was implying steam takes care of it for them.
  • Nocturn said:

    @Novica Depends, I wouldn't want to keep switching steam accounts to multibox. I think a easy solution is to keep e-mail logins available for steam so we can run multiple clients.

    I don't want them wasting any dev time for a launcher between now and Steam.

    Personally i consider multibox to be same as cheating and i hope they ban it.
  • Novica said:

    Personally i consider multibox to be same as cheating and i hope they ban it.

    This. Boxers ruin games.
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    I'm not ignoring this thread. The problem is, I'm not entirely clear on what's happening on a technical level or what Steam will require when it comes to the cash shop, or how selling the game on our own site would work in context with Steam Early Access.

    Our intent was always to support the Steam client as well as a stand alone client, and have all of you playing in the same world, but I'm scared to promise anything without more information.

  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    @Novica Personally I'd like to use all the accounts I purchased at the same time. Be it for boxing, dedicated crafter, mule, second house, etc...
  • Multi boxing should not be banned.

    Macroing unattended should.
  • Nocturn said:

    @Novica Personally I'd like to use all the accounts I purchased at the same time. Be it for boxing, dedicated crafter, mule, second house, etc...

    Exactly. There is nothing wrong with Multiboxing in itself. What is wrong is when players use additional tools to perform the exact same action on all accounts.

    Further, I didn't just buy a second account for myself, I bought one so I can play the game along with my grandkids. Will probably pick up a third account as well. LoA in a protected zone is a great game to play together like this.
  • Sanya said:

    I'm not ignoring this thread. The problem is, I'm not entirely clear on what's happening on a technical level or what Steam will require when it comes to the cash shop, or how selling the game on our own site would work in context with Steam Early Access.

    Our intent was always to support the Steam client as well as a stand alone client, and have all of you playing in the same world, but I'm scared to promise anything without more information.

    I don't know the technical details, but I know it is possible. Life Is Feudal allows both types of purchase.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    AFK macro is bad, and multiboxing is worse, but playing along with your grandkids should get you a big ban!
  • TeufelTeufel Aria
    edited August 24
    I still think we need a jail near Val bank. Throw all the AKF macroers in there for a first offense 48 hour sentence, second week long sentence and third perma-ban.

    I'm ok with multi-boxing in certain situations. As long as no bots are involved, multi-boxing can be a real challenge and a lot of fun. But when a gold miner is using it with bots to mega-mine, while at the same time keeping legit players from being able to legit-mine, that's where I draw the line, especially in non-pvp areas where you cannot kill the one doing it.

    I remember after Trammel came out, there were certain areas overrun with gold miners, multi boxing with bots. There was no way to get in there, get a kill and loot the kill before the multi boxer with quick-corpse-loot-bot could.

    That was when I moved to Siege and never looked back.
  • beater07 said:

    Multi boxing should not be banned.

    Someone has never been sync-dumped (or enjoys sync-dumping people).
  • Multi boxing and scripting multiple accounts to perform the same action are not the same thing.

    I am in favor of banning multi boxers who script them in sync.
  • beater07 said:

    Multi boxing and scripting multiple accounts to perform the same action are not the same thing.

    I am in favor of banning multi boxers who script them in sync.

    Scripted or not it still gives huge advantage in PvP and that's a deal breaker in game with open world PvP with full loot.

    For example in Lineage 2 everyone had their own pocket healer/buffer box that would follow them forcing you to pay 2 subs otherwise good luck winning in PvP.
  • Since kickstarter the developers have always said there will be a non STEAM option. I am hoping at some point they also put their game on GOG a lot of Ultima and NWN fans there that would happily buy it
  • Since kickstarter the developers have always said there will be a non STEAM option. I am hoping at some point they also put their game on GOG a lot of Ultima and NWN fans there that would happily buy it

    They have said a lot of things since the Kickstarter.....
  • Since kickstarter the developers have always said there will be a non STEAM option. I am hoping at some point they also put their game on GOG a lot of Ultima and NWN fans there that would happily buy it

    Are there any MMOs on GOG currently? I mean besides smaller scale optional multiplayer.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    You mean smaller than LoA?
  • I mean MMOs period I wouldn't call NWN a MMO.

Sign In or Register to comment.