Gathering professions and refining harvested materials

Since CB2 started I've put the vast majority of my time into crafting. Currently I am at 87.3 blacksmithing and 100.0 fabrication. In all of my travels so far, the only material's I've been able to buy from other players were hides and silk/fluffy cotton. I've never been able to find a miner who will sell to me consistently, or at all. Ditto with lumberjacks, even though I haven't been working on carpentry; I have been on the looking for a wood source and I haven't seen anyone willing to be a wood or ingot supplier for my crafter.

I think this is because the refining mechanism for gathering is in the associated crafting skill, i.e. carpenters refine chopped wood to boards and blacksmiths refine ores into ingots.

i think this should change: miners should refine ores/ingots at a forge and lumberjacks should refine chopped wood into boards at a new planing table/workstation and the refining skills should be removed from both carpentry and blacksmithing.

The reasoning I have for this is because if you're a player who is looking at mining to sell ingots, you also have to pick up blacksmithing and skill it up to learn how to refine higher metals. Same thing is true if you want to sell boards. If you have to invest this much time/effort/resources in skilling up the relevant crafting profession just to process your harvest, then why wouldn't you just keep your resources and take the crafting skill all the way?

You would incentive people who have an adventuring character with an extra skill slot to take a gathering profession by itself because they can make a lot of money selling refined materials, and later on they can always drop it without having had to invest a lot of time and energy into a crafting skill.

Comments

• sudoxesudoxe Sydney
    You can do this already and you have the advantage of leveling BS and Carpentry at the same time!

You can mine and just make ingots. You just need the recipes, you can buy and trade for these if you wanted a dedicated miner. You would be splitting a single system to create two additional new systems with the same features.

The issue with selling ingots in the closed beta was people wanted to pay the copper value per ore as set by CS bad idea imo, they should have let the players set the market value. 2 copper per ore means 10c per ingot and 100 ingots that's 10 silver. No one is their right mind is going to sell 100 ingots for 10s. I sold 100 ingots for 1g and they sold but i had other things to invest my time in that made me more money so i didn't continue doing it. There are two guys that i know of that chop wood and sell boars in cb2, they also charge a premium but mainly due to the weight. Vendors in release will be much more capable of stocking and moving such items, the interesting part will be the higher end materials when people wish to buy Obsidian Ore/Ingots ect.

Dedicated Miners/Lumberjacks are better off just selling the Ore/Wood directly to the Blacksmith/Carpenter and save themselves the time of sitting at the forge/table ;) This was the way i attempted to acquire higher end ingots via ore from dedicated miners in CB2.

P.S. Keep up the good work, you have achieved a lot in CB2, congrats!
  • The reason people do not sell ores is because all types of ores/wood are near town. There is little to no reason for people to include a lumberjack/mining in their PvM characters, so all lumberjack/mining characters are also crafters.
  • FeralLokiFeralLoki United States
    @maesz and @sudoxe I'm currently only selling hides right now, but on launch, I will also gonna be selling Ore and Lumber. hell, I'd even be willing to team up with someone and just purely supply that one person and then split the profit. :) make like a joint crafting empire :)
  • sudoxesudoxe Sydney
    Koz said:

The reason people do not sell ores is because all types of ores/wood are near town. There is little to no reason for people to include a lumberjack/mining in their PvM characters, so all lumberjack/mining characters are also crafters.

Miphon (Jeffrey) has commeneted and confirmed ore types and availability will be changed before release, currently once a node is depleted it instantly refills, this will not be how it works on release. Resources will not be as abundant.
    FeralLoki said:

@maesz and @sudoxe I'm currently only selling hides right now, but on launch, I will also gonna be selling Ore and Lumber. hell, I'd even be willing to team up with someone and just purely supply that one person and then split the profit. :) make like a joint crafting empire :)

Happy to talk in DM on Discord about any joint business ventures. Hit me up :)
  • @sudoxe, that is good news. I know of 1 mine that is huge but when I got there, there wasn`t a good ammount of nodes to mine, just like helm mine is right now (few spawn points). I can see now those + 60% damage weapons being rare and meaningful.
  • I'm sure the botters will provide plenty of crafting mats after the final wipe.
  • edited August 9
    There is some rational reasoning to OPS post in my view. I actually kind of like it. But still wonder if the the idea of the refining be left to the smith, carpenter simply because it does require the station and the amount of time it takes to mine in the first place is enough load on the minor. Blacksmith even when he is smelting ores is still waiting on more ores from miners. You would be making a blacksmith even less busy then they are now. Production time is also a part of the game that needs balance/ professions should have a reasonable amount of content that they can perform. less their life become idle/

I guess it could be balanced in different ways though..

But Here is the question: Should a gatherer, lumberjack, Miner, have it so easy as to build strength, mine, make a ton of money from selling/collaborating large qtys of low weight smelted metals to smiths, then being able to take your 40+Str character(from mining) with his quickly achieved copper set of maxed armor and weapon to good PVE content? Sure.. But.. Let's hope everything else gets balanced to compete?
  • PetrPetr Czech Republic
    Add Commodity Deeds to the game. Then it's much easyer to trade resources in any for and in any house trader even in a wildeness. Especialy help's with the heavyer one. Now for example, no one will go to buy 200 ore pile farther from town.