Concept for repair mechanism, item durability and looted equipment

JaworJawor Central Europe
Hey guys, I was watching Roundtable yesterday and afterwards decided to elaborate a bit about repair mechanism I have in mind. It might be an inspiration for the official server, otherwise I will try to implement it for my future community server. I think I have written about it back in the days of Shards, but here I go once more.

Premises: Repair mechanism is needed. Crafts should not die out due to low demand for new equipment. Mobs should drop some equipment but of lower quality than crafted one (with exceptions of bosses etc.). Each piece of equipment will break at the end => cannot be repaired infinitely. Individual materials have different resistance to long-term stress during use.

I will be writing about example on blacksmithing products in terms of my suggestion to ore rarity overhaul (Copper < Iron < Bronze < Steel < Mithril … https://www.legendsofaria.com/forums/discussion/6859/mining-ore-blacksmithing-overhaul#latest )

Basically, I suggest to implement two types of durability status which will reflect short-term and long-term damage to the equipment. Let’s just define them. “Durability” reflects things like blunt edges on weapons, bulging in plate armors after mace stroke etc … things that can be repaired easily. “Weariness”, on the other hand, reflects damage that cannot be repaired because internal structure of the material starts to crumble during use-repair cycle. Little cracks will appear inside steel sword blade during fights, they accumulate and finally lead to breaking of the swords … stuff like that. In case of this type of damage, it’s better to smelt the sword and reforge it than try to repair it. The same applies to any product. You can sew up hole in your mage robe … but if you do it too many times, the robe would not hold together anymore.

So each piece of equipment will have additional parameter expressing how many times you can repair it – the Weariness. An integer number decrementing after each repair … and when it hits 0, you can throw your weapon/armor away once its durability runs out. The trick is that each tier of equipment has different Weariness parameter initially … formula = tier - 1. Copper sword (tier 1) has 0, the material is so bad you cannot repair it even once. Brand new steel sword (tier 4) has weariness 3, you can repair it 3 times etc.

And now about loot. Humanoid mobs should drop some equipment they are using. Not each piece. We have killed them, they were fighting vigorously. Maybe their weapon was broken during their last stand, maybe their armor falled apart … but there should be a chance they will drop something. If we don’t want to ruin crafters lives in the process, looted equipment should have very low Weariness. Zero in most cases, occasionally one … minibosses could rarely drop something better. Only boss could drop some equipment in perfect condition. And also Durability should be lower than maximal, somewhere between 25-75 % in most cases.

Example: You have killed a bandit and he dropped his iron sword he was using for some time … its Weariness is 0 and Durability 30 %, have fun. You can use the sword, but it will be trash in no time.

If the lower Durability (less than 50 % ?) would also mean somewhat lower damage for weapons (and lower defense for armors), that unrepairable bandit sword is not even worth picking up with exception of emergency.

Comments

• JaworJawor Central Europe
    I guess this should not be too hard to implement...
  • VyrilVyril US
    edited August 13
    Meh.

No repairing, items should break a lot more often than they already do now.

Dying needs a bigger impact on durability of gear being worn at the time of death.

Crafting needs to be more important, people need to be burning through gear when heavily used.
    Good shop keepers and crafters should be seeked out by the population.

Salvaging based on current durability should also be in the game.

Increase the rarity on high quality crafts, we need more reason to craft and buy stronger gear.

Mobs should drop Magic items that are even less durable, but only have good bonuses for PvE and not PvP.

But, the real choice would be having mobs dropping materials for crafters to make magic items.
  • I agree with Vyril and I will tell you why. Because gear in this game needs to be (for the most part) accepted by all players as "replaceable". In most cases you shouldn't need to repair your sword, because by the time you will need to you would have died already and lost it. There should be good items that suck to lose yes but the majority of players will be using mediocre gear which if they lose, isn't a real problem to find a replacement for.

The moment we start caring about our gear enough to need a repairing system to preserve it, is when we've attached ourselves with it and losing it becomes a keyboard-smashing, negative-forum posting tantrum in full loot game.

So yes, crafters and bosses should have a rare chance at something superb....but the rest of the gear would have just slight bonuses between tiers. The level of crafter would mainly have chances at a few more stats on the items and higher durability.

• beater07 said:

I agree with Vyril and I will tell you why. Because gear in this game needs to be (for the most part) accepted by all players as "replaceable". In most cases you shouldn't need to repair your sword, because by the time you will need to you would have died already and lost it. There should be good items that suck to lose yes but the majority of players will be using mediocre gear which if they lose, isn't a real problem to find a replacement for.

The moment we start caring about our gear enough to need a repairing system to preserve it, is when we've attached ourselves with it and losing it becomes a keyboard-smashing, negative-forum posting tantrum in full loot game.

So yes, crafters and bosses should have a rare chance at something superb....but the rest of the gear would have just slight bonuses between tiers. The level of crafter would mainly have chances at a few more stats on the items and higher durability.

Agree. And it would make for a more robust economy. Personally I think that as an item becomes damaged, it should also lose its defense or attack rating, on a sliding scale.
  • I'm up for the sliding scale idea
  • edited August 14
    While I agree with you as to items being lost more easily, that can only happen when there is a strong economy and replacing those items are easy. Repairing items does not conflict with this, as long as the repaired item is not as good as the new item. Normally this is done through lowering the maximum durability of an item, so that future wear and tear happens more frequently. There also has to be a cost in repairing it, just like there is in the real world (should I pay to fix the car, or is it time for a new one?).

The example that was used in that *other game*, where players could run around with a repair deed, is horrible. Tracking down a smith to repair a sword is also a cost that has to be factored in to the repair/replace consideration.
  • Which makes it more of a tedious task to find somebody to repair. Finding somebody to repair was not fun in UO, and that's why they put in deeds. Deeds wasn't the best idea either, but let's just cut out all the bullshit first, and just make crafting and item life cycles occur.

I'd rather the items would just break and you have to go buy new items, instead of repairing.
  • Vyril said:

but let's just cut out all the bullshit first, and just make crafting and item life cycles occur.

That is why Salvaging has to be part of the equation. So that all that PvP loot gets recycled into resources for new items.