The Road to Launch: The Plan So Far

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
edited August 8 in Straight from the Citadel
http://www.legendsofaria.com/the-road-to-launch-the-plan-so-far/

Want to ask me questions about this plan? Were you at the Twitch stream and we didn't answer your question?

I'll be doing a round up post.

Comments

• edited August 8
    Ok going to try form this out as some of the info is still stewing in the old noggin.

1.) You've essentially disincentivized a bulk of the current players sinking in serious hours, who are submitting those bug reports, and reaching GM levels to feel out potential problems in those builds from putting forth any more hours with a hard set date for official going down. I personally see no point in finishing my builds or logging in besides the server stress test now.

2.) Releasing into persistence with an Early Access tag is a two fold problem:
    A.) Many people avoid Early Access games due to being burned in the past.
    B.) Most MMO players consider persistence actual release and don't like coming late to the party.
    C.) You're not going to get a second chance at a first impression with Steam and reviews
    Want a prime example of this which was also a Kickstarter and launched with this model? Shroud of the Avatar.

3.) With the server downtime you're going to lose players' interest and free word of mouth promotion that you already have from say streamers, youtubers, social media etc who will move on to other titles and may stay in them. Same goes for their fan bases which are potential customers.

4.) The lack of an answer of how QA for all these new features and testing will be handled and the hand wave of we're just focused on the stress test on the 17th doesn't sit right and is frankly concerning that it seems like a shooting from the hip approach.

5.) The "we're working on it and read all the bug reports", just doesn't cut it when it comes to bug tracking and doing free QA work. There needs to be a public bug tracker especially if you want people to approach known bugs and your fixes from every angle to try to break the system.

6.) There was a seeming lack of concern for some key bug questions in regard to #5 which also didn't sit well. For example the problem with load hitching and pauses on zone lines leading to people dying to NPC mobs or in PvP.

7.) Glossing over any mention of an open beta phase unless I missed that while refilling my drink.

There's probably more I could post, but I'm sure others will handle that task.

That stream left me more concerned with the future of the game than hopeful sadly.
  • Any info on why carpentry is exponentially slower than the other crafting skills would be appreciated. I think if there was a valid explanation it wouldn't make it hurt so bad. Right now it just feels like bad balance.
  • I'm hoping my post didn't get lost to the void when editing a grammar error since it said it then required moderation approval. If so let me know please as I put some thought and time into it.
  • beater07beater07 America
    Me personally, I am fine with the plan if it keeps the ship above water and moving in the right direction.

And those of you worried about the steam reviews, you do realize that even if the game was up to your standards of "ready" it is a niche game and will get ripped to shreds anyway by people that don't appreciate open pvp, full loot, sandbox games where content mainly comes from the community and not game-driven quests and raids.

Those smart enough to see past the QQing of the hand-holding-instant-gratification generation will still buy the game despite the bad reviews. Many of the bad reviews I can imagine we'll see, would actually be the best selling points to the target audience:

"I got murdered while mining and dry looted!! This game sucks!"
    -Excellent, sign me up!

"No quests? What kind of game doesn't have quests, this sucks!
    -Finally, a game without quests! Sign me up!

"What the heck are we supposed to do in this stupid game....walk around and make our own story?
    -Yup.

• Hoping to see this game succeed, I will start providing feedback and more bug reporting rather than the casual play I have been doing (which has been really fun the last few weeks). I played in beta1 a little bit but found it hard to stick to it due to slow progress. I am really enjoying beta2 and look forward to more features being added as this game becomes permanent but I too am ready to start investing my time into something more permanent.

I feel the developers are smart to include more of the typical MMO and UI experience such as a hotbar, achievements, named mobs, and more. If this pushes the release back by a few months, I am not so enthused however. These are all great ideas but please do not forget to focus on all the fine tuning that will make the gameplay experience more smooth and enjoyable for every player, even now (i.e. server lines, smarter AI (not just faster mobs), more displayed info for items).

For many of us old UO lovers this game still has a familiar layout and we know how to compare landmarks to the map but to entice and help new players get out of the initial newb stages and being afraid to explore (which you can find yourself stuck in for days without seeing more of what the game will offer) they need assistance somehow. New players unfamiliar with LoA or UO need more direction and early progress. I found the wisp minimally useful TBH.
    As much as I am not a fan of the location marker on a map idea, I do feel a lot of new people would be turned off without it. This game is meant to shadow but not mimic UO so I do feel it makes good business sense even though I prefer the challenge of figuring it out.

Repairs and Salvaging: One or the other is critical to the game, especially regarding the player economy. Having a special executioner weapon and making the most of it before it breaks down makes sense... this also ensures they maintain a decent value in the market because they only last so long before needing to be replaced. The same value concept applies to very high % bonus weapons, the limited lifespan gives higher bonuses more value on the market. Clearly, this equally affects PvE and PvP and if repairs are implemented I think they should not be too generous.
    If repairing can be implemented... what about a system that reduces overall durability and damage with each repair so that a very strong weapon can be used throughout 2-3 repairs and still be effective near its quality, with diminishing returns of course (i.e. repairing a weapon dropped its max durability to slightly worn and reduced the damage slightly, repairing a second time dropped it to worn with more damage reduction. After 2-3 repairs the weapon is best to be replaced. This should require GM skill also IMO). If this or a similar repair system is too complicated to make... we should at least be able to salvage damaged weapons and armor. I am sure most players would be happy to receive even a fraction of the crafting supplies (lets say 1/4 or 1/5 as an example). My concern with the current lifespan of items and no repair or salvage system, is that everyone will want to make a crafter to stop buying so many replacements (there is also a push to make crafting easier which further enhances this issue), flooding the market and dropping the prices drastically for those who do want to craft and sell. I am not a fan of grinding to collect resources and I don't craft a lot so I buy most of my items from player vendors.
    On a side note to players: if crafting is too easy, everyone makes their own and nobody sells or buys much.

Will: Is 'Will' going to be changed at all or remain the same as it is? Currently, 'Will' seems like a pretty useless stat and it only makes the cap more difficult to manage. It doesn't seem to have much effect in PvE from my experience, if it does in PvP I would like to hear from others how it plays a role (prevents a stun and tells you it did so?) and how effective it can be.

Housing and plots: I bought a small house in beta1 and a medium size house in beta2. I do really like the housing setup and how the decorating is managed once you have a house. Would all of the current aspects of housing remain the same once your plot has built a house on it? Will housing plots be bought in various sizes and prices from the beginning (such as houses are now)? Will a player be able to upgrade their plot size or will they have to repurchase a new one that is larger? This would have a big effect on whether I hold out for a larger plot in the beginning.
    As far as resource collection to build the house as the developers mentioned... will we need to turn in 100's or 1000's of resources to build a house and will it only require a few simple resources such as stone and wood logs or many others? If this is the approach housing is to take, I feel this part should NOT be very demanding or tedious. Will a house immediately appear when the needed amount is turned in or will it be on a timer (hopefully not a long waiting process)? As much as I like the simplicity of the housing system as it is now... this could open up a lot of interesting ideas and prevent housing issues down the road, but I do suggest (to the developers) treading lightly and keeping this simple and enjoyable.

Weight: It was good to hear the developers are working on this one, it could use a little balancing for sure but can easily become overdone. I feel the issue of weight should be more generous to players making money but not catered specifically to crafters collecting resources. I farm monsters mostly and I have to make too many trips to town, for the distances I have to travel, to really make decent money. I also have a lumberjack/carpenter and I feel the wood and log weights are fair but the carpentry gains are too slow. Increasing the weight capacity would help both monster farmers and crafters but I also feel the weight of weapons and armor should be reduced by 1-3 each so that more can be carried. This is partly why farming mobs or dungeons has a lot of limits right now. Money weighs a little too much but I do understand why it would not change much (as explained in the video), however, making money even 25% lighter would be nice.

Lastly, and most importantly, I like a lot of what was covered but the one month lull of no server will be detrimental to the momentum gained thus far. Many of the players that have invested their time in LoA (or are starting to such as myself) are likely to lose their interest or just find interest in a different game during that time period. I am playing at a moderate pace and wanting to pick it up but this tells me that there is less incentive to dig deeper into the game now, rather I should start a few months from now upon early release :( Your supporters are happy to play up to the day they know they will lose everything and start over but taking that option away is confusing to me. Even if a mirror server were available for players without much developer attention or ongoing updates, at least players would still be learning the game and growing the community.

Thank you to the developers for communicating and inviting feedback. We all want to see this game succeed.
  • Any info on why carpentry is exponentially slower than the other crafting skills would be appreciated. I think if there was a valid explanation it wouldn't make it hurt so bad. Right now it just feels like bad balance.

So when that question was asked, the response was about how they're changing housing. I don't know if they were just talking about why wood weighs so much (since you'll have to carry loads of wood to your house plot to build) or if building a house will actually require carpentry (which could create a great market for hardcore crafters, but would more likely just frustrate people).
  • MisterGizmoMisterGizmo UnitedStates
    There is nothing wrong about the housing idea in my eyes. I like the idea you have to gather resources and bring them to your plot. You do not have to go out and get the resources manually, it means people can sell resources more often. So it helps in that area. If a crafting skill is hard and time consuming that is another good thing. Most people will just create another character to handle that stuff. If people do not want to do it, then that is mostly the casuals. Meaning those who invested the time and pain will be rewarded for their work. So.. the casual guy can just say screw it.. i am just going to buy my stuff because they do not want to be crafting, they want to be out fighting or pvping etc.
  • Will there be a European server at the early access launch?
  • closing for a month? really? nobody does that! I have beta tested many games and nobody closes shop for a "month" right before release.
  • AndrejsAndrejs Latvia
    What about mac users? Will they be able to play from native client on steam launch ?
    Now it is impossible to do without bootcamp or parallels and that's sucks.
  • MorphMorph Denmark
    1. Will we be allowed, and will we be able to use more than one client? Can i run two account at the same time?

2. Will there be an European server for 7 day headstart and launch?
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Andrejs said:

What about mac users? Will they be able to play from native client on steam launch ?

A linux & mac client would be great, but CS has no resources to do that before steam. Don't forget this is an indie adventure.
  • I do feel that taking the server down for a month is a bit much of a break. I'd personally like to keep testing and experimenting. Now a week, I could totally understand. Then wipe and open the server back up for the one week head start, then take the server down for 24 hours and bring it back up on Steam Early Access to let others try out the game for a small fee before going final launch, but keep all the progress, loot, housing already earned.

I would play a lot more knowing the final wipe was behind us.
    As much as I love Citadel Studios. Being down for a month before launch is like going all in on a 30/70. The things being promised on all ends is kinda of staggering in the time we have. But, there isn't anything this team cant do is what I am getting. This takes some ballz... huge ballz. So +1 for the confidence they have in achieving this.
    Since this is a public forum, I will keep things as general as possible. I do some development that some other servers have adopted or use a version their of. We have a bunch of developers in our community on many servers. We are ready to push forward with you. We have loved (or hated lol) some of the updates as of recently. So my question to the team is When can you fit us in for another Developer Town Hall? Perhaps give us some agenda of tools your in the works on, or making.

I ask this because we all want to make these players have a kick ass time running around official, or on a crazy alien world. Soon as we get some tools, this stuff has way crazy possibilities. As a developer I am happy to be apart of this experience. We are not asking for much, just a little love. Many of us are at the point where you cant do much without the things we are needing. Thanks for the chance to ask a question.
  • b0mb3rb0mb3r Brazil
    Only 1 question: When reading the recent feedbacks in the forums we see a lot o players asking for more content. Will this kind of feedback be answered in the next patches or all that we can expect is some bug fixes.
    Int's in the players nature to ask for everything, yes we want it all. Knowing the limited resources of CS, do we want them to fix bugs or add content?
    When they add things (like the enhanced graphics) people criticize for doing that instead of bug fixing, when they only fix the world get's labeled as dead, empty and dull.
    I vote for a wise combination of critical bugs fixing & scattered content aditions :)
  • AndrejsAndrejs Latvia
    Sacha said:

Andrejs said:

A linux & mac client would be great, but CS has no resources to do that before steam. Don't forget this is an indie adventure.
    I do understand that, and I am not asking it before steam launch just shortly after.
    It was possible to run LOA on OSX easily, but now these simple solutions are not working anymore and I am feeling cut off the experience that you guys are having now.
    Yeah, I have to dual boot whenever I want to play LoA :(
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    I'm reading all this, guys - hoping to work as much as I can into the Q&A going up tomorrow.
  • Kulain said:

Repairs and Salvaging: One or the other is critical to the game, especially regarding the player economy. Having a special executioner weapon and making the most of it before it breaks down makes sense... this also ensures they maintain a decent value in the market because they only last so long before needing to be replaced. The same value concept applies to very high % bonus weapons, the limited lifespan gives higher bonuses more value on the market. Clearly, this equally affects PvE and PvP and if repairs are implemented I think they should not be too generous.

I am of the strong opinion that both need to be in the game. Repairing encourages inter-guild workings, and salvaging serves as a sink. Without either there will be an increase in the number of items stored (and forgotten about) through-out the world.
    Kulain said:

As far as resource collection to build the house as the developers mentioned... will we need to turn in 100's or 1000's of resources to build a house and will it only require a few simple resources such as stone and wood logs or many others? If this is the approach housing is to take, I feel this part should NOT be very demanding or tedious. Will a house immediately appear when the needed amount is turned in or will it be on a timer (hopefully not a long waiting process)? As much as I like the simplicity of the housing system as it is now... this could open up a lot of interesting ideas and prevent housing issues down the road, but I do suggest (to the developers) treading lightly and keeping this simple and enjoyable.

I had not heard about this, and have some mixed feelings toward it. I like that it adds complexity to the game, and an increased opportunity for harvesters to make coin. I would hate the grind to build out a large house though, so agree about treading lightly.
    Kulain said:

Weight: Money weighs a little too much but I do understand why it would not change much (as explained in the video), however, making money even 25% lighter would be nice.

Agreed - money is too heavy. I understand the goal, but a 25+% reduction in coinage is needed.

• Just watched the stream (not sure how I missed that it was there - I'll blame old age), but for the land plots - is the plan that plots are purchased or rented?
  • Sanya said:

I'm reading all this, guys - hoping to work as much as I can into the Q&A going up tomorrow.

Might wanna head off site as well ;)

https://www.mmorpg.com/legends-of-aria/news/the-road-to-early-access-begins-with-stress-tests-events-and-a-period-of-darkness-1000049441#vanilla-comments
  • MorphMorph Denmark
    edited August 9
    In the stream you spoke of loot changes, can you go into more details?

I spoke with Supreem_CS yesterday and he said you have plans for implementing rare items:

https://imgur.com/bxM2NMg

What are your ideas for rare decorations? Will monster have a small chance dropping them? Will champions? Chest with lock picks? etc. Please go into details :)

Thank you ever so much @Sanya
  • wondering when clothing as vanity slots will be a thing? are there plans to add more armor components ala gloves, arms, boots?
  • I know either Supreem or Miphon mentioned at the least a cloak slot coming with the infamous SOON™ on discord yesterday.
  • JaworJawor Central Europe
    edited August 10
    Will we (normal pledgers) get the access to admin tools during early access?

I might miss the information, sorry in that case and thanks for reply.
  • I know either Supreem or Miphon mentioned at the least a cloak slot coming with the infamous SOON™ on discord yesterday.

Well, since cloaks are part of the founder packs, they kinda have to add cloaks pre-EA.
  • MorphMorph Denmark
    Another question: With the new house changes are you also gonna add 1-2nd floor to houses? and will houses have sufficient lockdowns - atm they have waaaaaay to little - would been a good thing to test how it affect server to load item.
  • CowgoesmooCowgoesmoo Australia
    A while back that said there there are technical engine reasons that make second floors unlikely. If you look around buildings that have a second floor have no access to areas under that floor.