CB II - My Feedback - 8/1/2018

I will update this post as things may get fixed, changed, or my perception changes. I will certainly find additional things to add to this list, as well. I will update the date in the title of this post each time I update it. Without further ado,

- BUGS -
Cannot split stacks in saddle bags.

If horse has a different owner then your character and has saddle bags, it prevents you from being able to remove items from the saddle bags.

Death teleports to his spawned trash mobs out of bounds and breaks the raid encounter.

Add the ability to use the ENTER key to all menus, especially the log in screen.

Log out timer needs to be increased to prevent people from using Vanguard and logging out during combat.

House killing using magic is still possible. Houses should be complete safe zones from being killed. Fix it so it is
impossible to kill someone inside their house.

Round 1 of the tree awakening needs to have mobs that will aggro on players. It is far to difficult for average - casual
players to progress through Round 1 fast enough without being able to round up groups and AOE them.

A horse statue should indicate if the horse has saddle bags on it.

Ore blends in with the backpack too much. Change something so it is more visible.

Miners with 5 horses with saddle bags can use the /Stuck to go from unprotected mines to the safety of town. Prevent miners from being able to do this somehow.

You cannot open containers in the trade menu.

You are unable to eat food while mining.

Faction titles do not disappear when you quit the faction.

You cannot open the chat window by hitting enter when the trade window is open.

Magic Affinity gains in the 90s is set way too slow.

Carpentry gains are set way too low.

Mage towers need a period of protection added to the player while he loads in on the other side. Currently, the player can be attacked before the new location is loaded on their screen. Basically applies to faction only.

- DESIGN CHANGES -
Catacombs level 2 mobs should reward some of the highest amounts of karma in the game. They should not be equitable to a low level bandit in terms of karma granted.

If in combat, especially faction, you should be unable to use the mage towers to escape.

Magic Resist should be a skill not a stat. As it stands, the last three stats simply require too much sacrifice when picking your stat levels. We either need magic resistance removed as a stat or the amount of magic resistance granted per stat point buffed.

Make CTRL work inside containers like in previous iterations of this game.

Faction quit timer should start as soon as you join a faction. After 7 days you can quit the faction. Once you quit, add an additional timer restricting the character from joining a faction for an additional 7 days.

Oasis guards should ONLY protect positive karma players. All negative karma players in Oasis should be able to kill each other and be looted with no guard interference at all.

Bind Portal Stones should list the characters current bind location on the mouseover.

Using CTRL near houses/vendors should not list locked down items. It makes vendor shopping difficult. Prevent locked down items from displaying when a player is holding down CTRL. However, containers should still show up as they are utilized greatly on vendors.

Show the age of the character by their name on the log-in screen.

Add the ability to access the game settings on the log-in screen.

Add the IDOC or decay status as something that will show up when a player is running by houses and holding CTRL.
Do NOT sell 500 iron ore in each city. Remove that immediately.

The number of lockdowns in housing is simply too low. Each different level of house should have progressively higher number of lockdowns. However, all houses should have their lockdowns increased from what they are currently set. You are unable to even decorate your house with these current numbers.

Remove the ability to sell Blacksmith items to the NPC. Instead give us the ability to smelt items for a recoup of say 10-25% of the materials used.

Only players that possess the house key should be able to use crafting stations that are at a particular house.
The weight of boards is too high.

The weight of reagents are too high.

- SKILLS -

Overall across all skills, the gains are simply too fast.

- MAP/WORLD -

Dungeon Chests need to brought back into the game. Make treasure hunters be able to have an ability that opens them.
The land between Eldeir and the mage tower needs to be opened up for housing. If you are going to make us run that far to the mage tower, create an area perfect for vendors.

The difficulty of mobs needs to be polished. You should have to progressively fight harder monsters as you get higher in your skills. That is not the case right now. There is not a smooth difficulty curve across the mobs. There are gaps and overlaps. And, you can train several melee skills to 85 on a single mob. Further, I should be stopped from getting a skill gain on a mob that is too far below my skill level.

You need a mage tower added somewhere in the vicinity of the pirate grotto. That entire section of the map is cutoff from the rest of the world unless you take a long hike. No other location is like it.

- CRAFTING -

Resources inside the saddle bags of a horse right next to me at crafting station should be able to be used directly. I should not have to move them to my backpack.

The Cure potion and Antidote should be swapped in the location on this craft. Antidotes are the most useful potion and do not require a cooldown. It should be the top potion crafted in the current system. Literally just swap the two potions.

Need at least 1 more potion added to the craft. Highest difficulty potion is 75.

Comments

• Good post. Thank you.
  • edited August 2
    Going to tack on when faction timer runs out you shouldn't be able to quit just any old time especially mid fight leading to a guard whack (learned that one the hard way last night).

Also needs a cooldown on immediately rejoining faction after you leave.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    >If horse has a different owner then your character and has saddle bags, it prevents you from being able to remove items from the saddle bags.
    >You are unable to eat food while mining.
    Not sure why these 2 are bugs.

>House killing using magic is still possible. Houses should be complete safe zones from being killed. Fix it so it is impossible to kill someone inside their house.
    That ain't necessarily a bug either.

>Add the ability to use the ENTER key to all menus, especially the log in screen.
    >You cannot open the chat window by hitting enter when the trade window is open.
    These 2 might interfere with each other?

>Miners with 5 horses with saddle bags can use the /Stuck to go from unprotected mines to the safety of town. Prevent miners from being able to do this somehow.
    Yes, /stuck used to just teleport you nearby.

>Bind Portal Stones should list the characters current bind location on the mouseover.
    Why? Maybe just the ability to rename them?

Agree with all the rest.
  • Sacha said:

>If horse has a different owner then your character and has saddle bags, it prevents you from being able to remove items from the saddle bags.
    >You are unable to eat food while mining.
    Not sure why these 2 are bugs.

>House killing using magic is still possible. Houses should be complete safe zones from being killed. Fix it so it is impossible to kill someone inside their house.

>Add the ability to use the ENTER key to all menus, especially the log in screen.
    >You cannot open the chat window by hitting enter when the trade window is open.
    These 2 might interfere with each other?

>Miners with 5 horses with saddle bags can use the /Stuck to go from unprotected mines to the safety of town. Prevent miners from being able to do this somehow.
    Yes, /stuck used to just teleport you nearby.

>Bind Portal Stones should list the characters current bind location on the mouseover.
    Why? Maybe just the ability to rename them?

Agree with all the rest.

You are the owner of the horse. But someone else bought it or tamed it before it became your horse. I'm not saying you should be able to loot other people's horses. It's a bug because once it transfers to you it blocks you from using the saddle bags.

You can eat while doing any other skill that I have used. So I assume it's a bug for mining.

Bug might be wrong word for house killing. Regardless, you should not be able to be killed inside your house IMO.

I can see the Enter key thing interfering with trade window. Good point.

I often change my mind spot and never seem to remember for sure where my bind stone will take me. It would be nice to have your current bind spot listed somewhere.

• SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    Thanks for this post. Linked it to internal chat.
    The one comment I'd make - since I CAN'T say anything productive about the actual content and what may change, being neither a designer or a programmer - is that "too fast" or "too heavy" and so on are largely a matter of perception. For instance, if we changed the weight limit, or gave you more options to increase your carrying capacity, "too heavy" might be "just right."

I'm saying the actual balance problem for some of these may be something bigger than speed, weight, or the obvious factor, and we may not be wise to make the easy/obvious fix.

There are many games I've worked on where the designer decided to fix the symptom, and then upon fixing the underlying problem, discovered that nearly every item in the game needed to be nerfed.
  • Sanya said:

The one comment I'd make - since I CAN'T say anything productive about the actual content and what may change, being neither a designer or a programmer - is that "too fast" or "too heavy" and so on are largely a matter of perception. For instance, if we changed the weight limit, or gave you more options to increase your carrying capacity, "too heavy" might be "just right."

I'm saying the actual balance problem for some of these may be something bigger than speed, weight, or the obvious factor, and we may not be wise to make the easy/obvious fix.

There are many games I've worked on where the designer decided to fix the symptom, and then upon fixing the underlying problem, discovered that nearly every item in the game needed to be nerfed.

I understand that completely. In reference to wood though, it is so far out of whack with the weight of everything else in game I don't think it falls into what you are saying.

I actually think the carrying capacity of the players is pretty solid as it is now. It's just wood that is ridiculous.

Reagents IMO weigh too much. But reagents definitely fall into the concept you just explained. And a bandaid fix to reagents certainly has far reaching balance consequences.
    Right, I didn't mean EVERYTHING in your post was subject to my caveats -- just noting that we should always have a reference point when we describe something as "too" so that we're perceiving the data in the same way.
  • Sacha said:

I agree. If you build your house out in a PvP open area, then players should be able to use area effect magic spells to cause you damage/death. Houses shouldn't be used as a place to escape to, heal up, then come back out fighting. You can run in and log out.

Now if players are able to target you with direct spells, then yeah, that would be a broken mechanic.
  • Sacha said:

I agree. If you build your house out in a PvP open area, then players should be able to use area effect magic spells to cause you damage/death. Houses shouldn't be used as a place to escape to, heal up, then come back out fighting. You can run in and log out.

Now if players are able to target you with direct spells, then yeah, that would be a broken mechanic.
    I disagree. Heh. But that's what makes the world go around.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    Houses should be safe even in pvp areas. If spells can go through walls than go ahead and make it to where melee/magic can damage houses to increase decay or give buildings health.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    Nocturn said:

Houses should be safe even in pvp areas. If spells can go through walls than go ahead and make it to where melee/magic can damage houses to increase decay or give buildings health.

ewwwwww no lol...
    "Complete safe zones" I'd say hell to the no on that... Just fix it to where you can't aoe people in their homes from the outside.. Maybe that's what you meant, but I LOVE when people try running to their house to be "Safe" but I followed them right in and merked'em :) I'd say this one was my only issue. No AOE or damage from outside someone's house. But if you're inside said house :) :) :)

Also it's amazing to have someone chase you and you lock him inside your house long enough to relog on the main and catch him inside your house still looool.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    edited August 6
    It would be fun if you could throw an arrow or a spell through the window to someone inside his house (that would require good aiming), or damage his house to increase decay like Nocturn said (though that should be very slow and have karma consequences). If don't want it just build your house in protected zone ;)
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    Heh house bombing has been a bug for so long. I only suggest either to fix it or if it is not possible to fix than use the opposite solution.

I agree Jubbin if you can chase someone inside their house, i'm all for the attack and it is not safe. Just no outside the wall exploits.
  • OuijaOuija Canada
    edited August 6
    I woulda really like to see the skill cap at 700.00 and add magic resist as a skill instead of stat.

I havnt found any barehanded skills yet. being able to make a stun mage would be dope.

Poisoning skill should definitely be added.

poisoning potions should definitely be added.

Rune books are a must + blessed.
  • Nocturn said:

Heh house bombing has been a bug for so long. I only suggest either to fix it or if it is not possible to fix than use the opposite solution.

I agree Jubbin if you can chase someone inside their house, i'm all for the attack and it is not safe. Just no outside the wall exploits.

It existed in UO for a long time. Earthquake being the favorite.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    Nocturn said:

I'm right there with you... The whole house bombing thing is so stupid.. Considering most of the homes new players can afford are those small little poop shacks that can be Meteor'ed no matter which side of the house you're on. It makes sense at the same time due to AOE and whatnot, but you gotta realize that most people are either AFK or Crafting. So it's more of a cheesy tactic of poor taste.