Impressions after long absence.

DKuangDKuang New York City
Was playing this when it was still Shards Online before the name change, among other overhauls and changes, over the year and months. To be honest, the graphic update is nice but wasn't something I'd say was TOP priority in terms of the game itself that needed fixing, but I'd dare say going into Steam EA with the previous graphics after so many years you'd probably get some negative reviews just for that (them people who MUST have good graphics or the game sucks :( ). I feel things have taken a backwards step instead of forwards. This is going to be a long wind blast from me. Was holding it back for a while but just a bit disappointed.

To quote Derek Brinkmann

"...we only need to answer to our community. They don’t care about the bottom line, they just want the best game we can create for them. "- Citadel Studios CEO, Derek Brinkmann

My question is...have you? Because I honestly feel Legends of Aria is actually even more behind the times in terms of content, mechanics, and overall gameplay than what Ultima Online did decades ago. Sure, better graphics, better controls, better network but Ultima Online launched in September 1997, it is older than some people playing Aria. Yet Ultima Online still beats Legends of Aria over the head with it's better oriented skills, crafting, gathering...just to name a one thing I noticed day one. Mobs dropped what they were using in UO.

In UO when you killed an orc lord, you were able to loot his battle axe, ringmail, thigh boots, and orc bone helm because that was what he was wearing. You could do this with all human mobs as well. Sure you couldn't loot the Troll loin cloth...but why would you. Least he dropped his spiked maul though. Which brings me to the loot drops. Why are they so bad and lacking? Like you literally kill a Lich, you get nothing but coins, blood, and a skull. A troll, nothing but coin and bread. Do we have to wait until skill 90-100 to kill a mob that will drop anything worthwhile for players? Or are we just going to have crafters do all the gear work for us and make PvE, unrewarding and useless except to level up combat skills? Because back in UO, when I killed a lich...it was a hard as hell fight, I needed a silver weapon, and IT's A LICH! It had a large sum of gold, good amount of gems and magical items. More so for a Lich Lord. In Aria...killing a mob is anticlimactic and just feels like grinding through mobs for skills and nothing more...*sigh* Moving on.

You could smelt iron weapons and armor back into ingots in UO, which is pretty damn logical. You didn't need a specific tool to skin an animal. You double clicked a bladed weapon and got meat and leather, based on the size of the creature. Specific NPC's actually bought your junk and crafted things instead of you left holding an inventory bag of crap you can't sell to anyone, some exceptions of course. Macros and key binds were hella easy to work with, and UI was just you dragging your stuff on your screen, so you could keep it as cluttered or neat as you wanted.

The world wasn't so blah and empty as Legends of Aria, nor was it so bland either. There were little birds, snakes, rats, undergrowth, wandering trolls, ogres, ettins, Orc camps, brigands, harpies, mongbats, and skeletons for you to randomly encounter in the world. Mobs weren't JUST relegated to spawn camps and locations as Aria has it. I find this boring and predictable, and basically creates a pool for people to go farm at and for pvper's to camp out as as well. Spawn camps is fine, dungeons is fine, but cripes sake man...put in some random roaming mobs, make the world feel dangerous and alive. And yes, those random brigand or undead camps with the crappy t1 treasure chests, and the farm plots with gatherables was a nice touch, but we need more variations of those random things in the world.

I'm hoping things will get patched, and this game that seems to still bare will feel more robust and rich as it moves towards EA on Steam...but based on what I've seen for the past few years? I'm not going to hold my breath and will just check the content fixes and patches as they come. I've seen enough disappointment and empty promises from developers over the last decade and a half to have a reality check. Peace out.

P.S
When asked would I recommend this game? Even with the Legends of Ultima server? Nooope, I would not in good conscience do it without giving them the long review and let them decide, especially if they're UO friends I've known since '98.

Comments

• ZoltZolt Milky Way Galaxy > Earth > North America > USA > Ohio
    Very good observations, good summary.

Like you, I find it very strange how few monsters are roaming the country side. I just don’t understand it.

Spot on regarding the loot and lack of variety from different monsters.

Like you, I too have a lot of hope but as it stands now could not recommend this to an old UO friend either.

Let’s not forget, it is still in beta so lets keep our fingers crossed.

-Zolt
  • With the switch to Legends of Aria they shifted their focus to PvP and I think this shows in a lot of what the game is currently lacking.

My wish is that this game is incredibly successful because I'm here for the world building and if this game succeeds then I have a better chance of getting what I originally pledged for. However, I don't think the choices they made for this game are going to allow that to happen. :(
  • beater07beater07 America
    I'm going to assume that the devs don't plan on launching with the current amount of spawn/mobs because they are not complete idiots. Of course there will be more, when they focus on adding it. But that hasn't been the primary focus and even when it is, they only have a few hands so content I think will come over the course of the next several months and even over years.

I don't remember uo when it first came out but I'm sure it was missing content based on today's standard. Probably seemed like more back then because of the lack of other mmo too compare it with.

So you can't compare a game that has evolved over decades to a brand new game that isn't even released yet...
  • tolgavtolgav Tenebrae
    I agree with you %100
    shards online was better because they're making a new game instead of develop it on every patch.

dont take it offensive but it's really annoying to remind someone that the game is still in beta phase. it's at alpha-beta phase since 2015 and it is still broken.

UO released at 1997 and first expansion T2A comes out at 1998 then Renassaince expansion comes out at 2000. 3 years and 3 expansion. it's same with aria's alpha-beta phase.

It's been 3 years and there's still nothing for fun in aria. lack of skills, lack of spells . because they wasted too much time on easy things. like fast travel ( changed 3-4 times), bandages ( changed 3 times). it's like reinvention of wheel

and your opinions about loot tables are definitely right. killing creatures make no sense. just for grinding

team and community always talking about immersivity of game. they said they remove the Map and they don't want to add a map marker because of immersivity.
    celador is not globe. also there is water in the oasis...map, map marker, fast travel is immersive breaker but water in oasis is not.

In UO when you recall same facet or another one it's fast as blink an eye.

In Aria when you enter a sewer or dungeon you have to wait at loading screen for long time. (also it's crashes at this beta phase) it's too immersive right ?

I believe UO and aria comparable. especially when aria has videos on youtube as UO2. that's why I pledged.
  • DKuang said:

To be honest, the graphic update is nice but wasn't something I'd say was TOP priority in terms of the game itself that needed fixing

Agreed, especially since my opinion on the game before and after is largely the same. It doesn't look amazing, but it's passable. For games like this, where you want to play for a long time... it doesn't matter as much unless it's really something special. This update didn't even come close to what I'd call an important step up in graphic quality, but that's just me.

DKuang said:

Which brings me to the loot drops. Why are they so bad and lacking?

This is probably the single most pressing issue in the game to me right now. It's not specifically mob loot tables, it's this pervasive feeling across the entire game that nothing has any uniqueness, everything feels copy-pasted and it makes me not interested in exploring or really playing the game. To put it simply and bluntly, the game has no soul.

Random examples of what I mean:
    -- All of the towns have the same exact sewer layouts, and as disappointing as that is it doesn't even matter since there's no incentive to explore or get to the end of the sewers
    -- All of the towns have the same items available, at least vendors have stock now but there's no feeling of "oh I have to go to this town to get this specific weapon/spell" etc.
    -- All of the wilderness "encampment" spawns have this same problem... don't get me wrong, I love the merchant spawns, but why do they always sell the same spell scrolls? (btw, it's great we can finally sell items)
    -- The enemy wilderness spawns with the locked chest: again, this is a *super cool* feature, I was so damn excited when I saw this... but then it grows old within an hour when you realize that every single chest has the same static loot table, and while it is a loot table, I can basically tell you exactly what a chest is going to give me now (20-30 of 3-4 reagent types, 4-7 silver, probably a mace or volge, a few spell scrolls out of a limited pool of about 6 possibly spells...) especially problematic is that this is true even if the chest is guarded by 2 skeletons and a zombie, vs. 8 goblin captains
    -- As you said, mob loot tables are the same way, utterly predictable; they actually seem even worse now as equipment seems to have been removed from the tables?

I'm obviously willing to forgive the bugs and even the somehow still WIP combat mechanics, but this is the single biggest reason I have no desire to log back in after only playing for a few hours. The last time I played for a long time was when the dungeons were added back in, and that was largely the same: it was cool to explore them once, and have a goal of getting to the end, but once you do there's zero incentive to stay or ever return. Well, at least back then the dungeons dropped higher tier gear, I guess.
  • tolgav said:

It's been 3 years and there's still nothing for fun in aria. lack of skills, lack of spells . because they wasted too much time on easy things. like fast travel ( changed 3-4 times), bandages ( changed 3 times). it's like reinvention of wheel

I couldn't agree more. I really am quite stunned that combat is somehow worse than it's ever been, magery is still not in a great place, weapon skills seem... just... broke? I don't know what the design or idea is but between them having a seemingly 50%+ base miss rate, and then stamina regen being nonexistent...

Not to mention crafting which is probably my 2nd biggest concern, since that's pretty important with final wipe coming up. I was tempted to bump an old thread I made expressing my concern about this, wherein the weight stacking bug was fixed, but weights are unchanged, so now you're just locked to towns for skilling up crafting... instead of any progress being made to fix that (if it's even perceived as a problem, I guess), we've gone backwards and now you can actually just buy iron ore in towns?! I don't understand the thought process behind any of this. In what world is sitting in a town with infinite resources and mindlessly grinding crafting up, with no economic involvement whatsoever, better than having to go out and explore the world for materials and coming back with a huge haul, potentially getting killed and looted, having a sense of risk/reward, etc.
  • KingslyKingsly Blue Boar
    Well said...You just put my thoughts/concerns into words.
  • EnzietEnziet Canada
    I agree with alot of these comments, which is why I'm not playing the game yet. It's still in closed beta, but I have hope yet. It could still turn into a pretty decent game. Although I HATE how low server pop will be. I hope this is increased.
  • beater07 said:

I don't remember uo when it first came out but I'm sure it was missing content based on today's standard. Probably seemed like more back then because of the lack of other mmo too compare it with.

I remember when it came out. It was way, way worse. Raph Koster, the lead designer, had this idea that things would happen organically. for example: two wolves would find each other and if there was enough prey, make puppies who would grow and go out there and do the same.

Everything was built around this concept. This worked during beta due to the limited number of players but as soon as the game launched the flood of players killed every last living thing and with virtually no artificial spawning systems the game had NO mobs around.

Eventually they had to abandon this system and create artificial spawn points. However, for a month or two we were, as my brother put it, sight seers.

• Pinch0@hotmail.comPinch0@hotmail.com Palma de mallorca
    edited July 15
    I totally agree with DKuang.

I think that the worldmap and the dungeons lack their own soul,there is a huge but totally empty world and dungeons that are copy paste of each other. I remember the dungeons of the uo, many and very varied in essence, each with its own style and different floors, large and with great dangers. I have not felt those dangers or that sense that the world is alive, the dungeons seem pre-generated randomly and without meaning.
    The worldmap, like DKuang said, lacks of places of interest. Orc camps, narrow caves that took you to unexpected places like lost lands, temples of different races. Many things that made exploring always have a pleasant reward. And I don't wan't to forget that the game currently has a very low variety of enemies, we are allways seeing the same and the same and this for the exploration is deadly.

I really hope to see these things fixed before the game comes out, but with so little time I have little hope.
  • Look at the sewers in oldschool runescape then look at the sewers in legends of aria, it is night and day.
    Better spawns, more variety, cooler layouts.
    I think that instead of just aiming at being an ultima online clone they could definitely look at other similar games and cherry pick some things.
  • I don't fully disagree but just because a game has a skill progression and a paper doll doesn't make it a UO clone. There is one 1 UO and for me 1 Guildwars 1 (2 was aion reskinned nobody cares) and nothing could bring it back and those where good times so we leave it as is. It's going on 2019. We have to let some things go.

With that being said I won't deny there is not much drive for me to play this game even on release even when I bought the most expensive package and got my friend to get the game. I will be checking in and out but please don't disappoint me. (although I'm pretty red pilled already)
  • i'd say i agree with most of this. a big part of what made UO feel alive while exploring, was all the animals / birds / random mobs. the music while hearing the bird chirps and dogs barking as you walked past. each dungeon felt unique, and you had a unique reason to be in whatever dungeon you were in. PvE was a thrill, and quite difficult sometimes in UO. while i feel like it's just a rush of mobs here currently. i miss exploring things like the hedge maze and new lands. i enjoy PvE as much as PvP, and want a game where i can do both. i understand a lot of people are interested in this game for the PvP aspect that UO once had. but the PvE experience is what made the PvP great, and without it, it just isnt the same. without good, fun, expansive PvE to draw people out in to the world, it'll just be the same people PvPing each other all day. i still have hope for this game, but it needs to be a good sandbox, living world, and not just a PvP game.
  • Well I used to explore and try to get to every point on the map, but making it a two way run kind of killed it for me - took my game time to run out, now i have to run back as recall was taken away? - also 5sp for a one time use recall to your bind point is kind of useless when you goto one camp clean it out and your over burdened already not able to loot more and your take home is the same as the cost of the recall. So what is the point to explore, why put the time and effort into it, no reward kind of defeats the purpose of the basics of any game. (pve player)
    Then there is the griefers (gankers) - the pvp system is old school mechanics and in this age of mmos is a bad idea - suggest on death drop all the coins you have on you rather then everything not equipement - pvpers just loot the coin anyways most of the time only - leave the other items to rot and with the corpse timer so low with no hope to teleport back in time your sol - for new people starting the game will equal no renewed player base - yes the pvpers spend a lot of time on the forums championing the pvp and its the next best thing to sliced bread but you have to read between the lines - if you only listen to your forum and not review logs of chat with in the game, your missing out on real feed back as a lot of people don't bother with forums.
    In this day of age you should have ways to filter out chat logs to use that as feed back for the general population of a server - listening only to forum champs you will produce a game that as a very low shelf life and these people that give their options have moved on after you have produce what they said is what is currently needed - and you faced with dead servers and no new players joining the server. <- this is the biggest thing that is happening with many games being produced - they dead after a 3 month life.
  • MorphMorph Denmark
    edited July 19
    DKuang said:

In UO when you killed an orc lord, you were able to loot his battle axe, ringmail, thigh boots, and orc bone helm because that was what he was wearing. You could do this with all human mobs as well. Sure you couldn't loot the Troll loin cloth...but why would you. Least he dropped his spiked maul though. Which brings me to the loot drops. Why are they so bad and lacking? Like you literally kill a Lich, you get nothing but coins, blood, and a skull. A troll, nothing but coin and bread. Do we have to wait until skill 90-100 to kill a mob that will drop anything worthwhile for players? Or are we just going to have crafters do all the gear work for us and make PvE, unrewarding and useless except to level up combat skills? Because back in UO, when I killed a lich...it was a hard as hell fight, I needed a silver weapon, and IT's A LICH! It had a large sum of gold, good amount of gems and magical items. More so for a Lich Lord. In Aria...killing a mob is anticlimactic and just feels like grinding through mobs for skills and nothing more...*sigh* Moving on.

This is so spot on.

If you do not start to work on a plan for loot drop, the PVE will be shallow.

I believe you need to give monsters loot, that is worth fighting for, worth farming for. I’ve said on several occasions, that if you add rare items (just as we knew them in UO – Skull Candel, just to name the most popular) the hunt would be woth it, give different monster different rare items to find, and not only the hard monsters, give even sewer rats a small percentage chance to drop something worth getting. If you google UO homes, you will see that furnishing and creating homes was a serious thing in UO, by adding rare drops to monster you will not interfere with crafting – heck you can even add small pieces that a crafter has to put together to make the rare item. Lich drop a very rare skull, some orc has a small chance of dropping a candle, put them together and you have a skull candle.

Every monster has a small chance to drop a piece of whatever, when you have 10 you can turn them in for X when you have 20 turn them in for X. Just make sure it is an item to be placed in your home or to make you look cool, some odd hat or whatever. Something people will want, but it does not make them better.

PVE people will hunt for it, and they will keep hunting for it, to have the best collection to have the best home. To sell the wearable pieces to PVP or PVE’er – there is a market in this alone, a market that does not interfere with crafting or anything.

• MenorMenor Brasil
    edited July 19
    Morph said:

DKuang said:

This is so spot on.

If you do not start to work on a plan for loot drop, the PVE will be shallow.

I believe you need to give monsters loot, that is worth fighting for, worth farming for. I’ve said on several occasions, that if you add rare items (just as we knew them in UO – Skull Candel, just to name the most popular) the hunt would be woth it, give different monster different rare items to find, and not only the hard monsters, give even sewer rats a small percentage chance to drop something worth getting. If you google UO homes, you will see that furnishing and creating homes was a serious thing in UO, by adding rare drops to monster you will not interfere with crafting – heck you can even add small pieces that a crafter has to put together to make the rare item. Lich drop a very rare skull, some orc has a small chance of dropping a candle, put them together and you have a skull candle.

Every monster has a small chance to drop a piece of whatever, when you have 10 you can turn them in for X when you have 20 turn them in for X. Just make sure it is an item to be placed in your home or to make you look cool, some odd hat or whatever. Something people will want, but it does not make them better.

PVE people will hunt for it, and they will keep hunting for it, to have the best collection to have the best home. To sell the wearable pieces to PVP or PVE’er – there is a market in this alone, a market that does not interfere with crafting or anything.

+1
  • DKuangDKuang New York City
    Jeez, I didn't log on for a few days and now I come back to read the wall of replies, lol.

For a brief moment before I posted my piece I thought "Man...people are going to jump down my throat for being this honest and semi-bashing the game." However, I figured it's better to speak the truth of the glaring flaws I've observed in the game for the past few months, and most notable, it's current form in CB2 than have this game hit Steam and be dead on arrival or within 2-3 months. Which honestly is what is going to happen if everything that's in CB2 just carries over to Steam Early Access.

From all the changes to loot tables, crafting, combat, and mechanics you'd of figured the people over at Citadel would of made up their minds by now...but that doesn't seem to be the case. Yes, I get it, ideas can be thrown around, rehashed mechanics and such but sometimes when you do nothing but take 1 step back and never a step forward you're always going to be left with an incomplete product. Which is my biggest fear, again I feel the game in it's current form compared to what I played last year has taken A LOT of steps back.

Simple priority list, if it was me manning the helm.

1)Re-evaluate and implement more immersive and rewarding PvE loot drops/treasures, via rares (Giant Rat hooded cape or the materials for a Fabricator to craft, same can be applied to Great Harts/bears as well) and gear drops from mobs on consistent and relevant levels = to crafters of the same level. (Be honest, don't punish players for not focusing on crafting but instead reward both and have them work hand in hand as any good balanced game should.)

2)Make world more vibrant and alive. Add roaming mobs, packs, camps that aren't just the same cut and paste all the time. If it's a npc campsite with a chest...make the loot different instead of it being 95% same. Orks shouldn't just be at the ork camp and no where else in the world, applies to most none super high level mobs like lich lords or drakes. More mob camps in general, the world has too few (for example..hobgoblins..what a joke. I've seen like 2 spots with them only.)

3)We need more armors, weapons, and craftables in general. It's disappointing to have only like 3 sets of armor and weapons for practically everything. Speaking of crafting, bring back option to choose what stats/properties you can try to put into your weapons. Least that way you have more control than pve drops which are random, but certain traits like Undead Slayer or Lizard Slayer are only pve specific drops and player crafted is like More durability and something else (minds blank atm)

4)Stop with the cut and paste dungeons. They're literally like almost always the same, sewers and many of the dungeons are the same layout.

5)Combat skills/mechanics and animations. Higher or lower on priority based on what you guys feel would make or break the game before hitting E.A on Steam.

Seriously guys, stop pussyfooting around and changing basically everything every 6-9 months with nothing to show for it but taking steps backwards and making the game less enjoyable than what you guys had with Shards Online.
  • Northern_ExileNorthern_Exile outer orbit
    Dam, i haven't been on in a long time (1 year or so). Sounds like nothing has changed :(

Dam, i haven't been on in a long time (1 year or so). Sounds like nothing has changed :(

Sadly...this is what's the most disheartening. It's like they're climbing a constant treadmill and not making any headway at all with any change, since each change puts them back at square one all over again.
  • b0mb3rb0mb3r Brazil
    I liked the idea of the game, and i enjoyed when i first played, but when i came in CBI i heard a lot of ppl saying that many thinks that were before were removed from the game. And when i came back to CBII hoping to see a lot more content, i saw less.

I agree that the game seems to be moving backwards.

I played a lot of other games in Alpha and Beta phase, each new stage a lot of features was added, was a whole new game each Alpha and Beta Phase.

We still have the community servers, but i don`t believe that the Steam players will stick to the game if the main server sucks... Its time to add new features, more content.... CBII is far more empty than CBI, change it or lose more players.

Just check the population in their "Stress Test", the name for it is lack of interest for those who believed in the game.
    Yeah, stress test was a joke, and if the stress test is an indication of the interest in the game? We're doomed. I see more people on the Legends of Ultma Shard than I ever do on the official servers, that and the interest in the game is slowing as well because many people won't invest time into something that'll just be wiped anyways.

I honestly had my run in the previous alpha and beta testings, and playing the game again and knowing it's all going to be wiped is sorta boring. That and the supposed new content and updates are less than lackluster, hell some of the new implementations of content is more lackluster than what they had years ago. Which further reinforces backwards movement, rather than forwards. I read new "patch" I log in, see it, and then don't log back in. No point too.

It's like watching this game de-evolve backwards into a less fleshed out game with each beta test. If they're doing this to test all the different builds and ideas for the game, it's totally the wrong way to go about it.
  • They need absolutely to put open beta test, without any resctriction and any sort of trial key, old playerbase is quite bored, they boosted too much hype in past and now we just wanna test and try game when its out of wipes, all the tests incoming need a fresh player base, the only road is the open beta, putting a stress test during SUMMER is a joke, im on beach like the most i think…. open server to all and try to cap the server otherwise stress test wil be impossible
  • edited July 23
    b0mb3r said:

I liked the idea of the game, and i enjoyed when i first played, but when i came in CBI i heard a lot of ppl saying that many thinks that were before were removed from the game. And when i came back to CBII hoping to see a lot more content, i saw less.

I played a lot of other games in Alpha and Beta phase, each new stage a lot of features was added, was a whole new game each Alpha and Beta Phase.

We still have the community servers, but i don`t believe that the Steam players will stick to the game if the main server sucks... Its time to add new features, more content.... CBII is far more empty than CBI, change it or lose more players.

Just check the population in their "Stress Test", the name for it is lack of interest for those who believed in the game.

Community servers will always have the advantage when it comes to content as they just have to use the platform CS is working on. The game is essentially a moddable platform within another engine. So while doing stuff for official which would be just normal Unity work they also have to work on said platform, scripting functionality and tools/toolkits which is the bridge to the underlying Unity code. Like atm they use a LUA like scripting language for the custom stuff you see on community servers, they're not doing anything actually in Unity or C# for example atm, just using the platform to make content.

Once the platform is more fleshed out and the toolkits then more manpower and resources will probably go to content.
  • I believe that dynamic between official servers and community servers will begin to change considerably around Steam. There are three factors I believe will cause that shift.

1.) If the game is successful, Citadel Studios will grow their team. I doubt there will be many community servers that can compete with their size of full time, proffessional game developers, even if a few of those are dedicated to infrastructure and tool development.

2.) Simple costs. The larger the game official server's gameworld becomes and the higher the number of players need to be supported by the servers, the greater the costs. The tech cost for hosting the current Celador regions and 100-200 active players in peak times like currently is not cheap for hobbyists.

The official server can easily add large regions and support players in the 1000s. They generate money to pay for that tech demand. For most community servers (save for a handful of exceptions) that will mean they can not support the same amount of players and as large a gameworld as the official server.

2.) Server Ruleset & World Saturation. Once there are more community servers, we will quickly hit the point of ruleset and world saturation. Players do not distribute evenly across servers that are very similar. There are usually a few very large ones, because it is more fun to play with a larger community. Once there are a few of those, they tend to remain on top and only begin to shrink and get replaced on the top of the player activity list due to serious issues. Staff members abusing their positions, lacking content and community support, bad design so the server becomes more and more bug ridden, etc.

But as a result, once that niche is filled with a few servers we will automatically see more creative endeavors. Greater variation of custom rulesets and custom maps will allow servers to distinguish themselves, and offer a very different experience.

The reason that matters, is because those servers lose the one-up advantage. Official server content will no longer be effortlessly compatiable, and hence you can no longer just take the base ruleset updates and add to them.

I'll just take my own project to illustrate what that means for development. We ripped out the ruleset and are making our own. We are building custom maps, and we are using almost none of the assets that Legends of Aria provides for world building. Aside from improvements to modding tools and base infrastructure, we can use almost nothing from features that Citadel Studios adds in their updates.
  • I couldn't agree more. This game feels so bland, it's like licking water. The world exists as nothing more than space to move around in.

They need to revisit UO's gathering and crafting system, because the crafting in this game needs serious attention.
  • TreizeTreize philippines-chessapeake
    The crafting does need work like there's only 3 craftable pieces of clothing ( bandana, pants and shirt) but to be fair they've added a fair amount where in vanilla UO didn't have them yet (different types of leather, different cloth materials and types of wood)

• Community servers will always have the advantage when it comes to content as they just have to use the platform CS is working on. The game is essentially a moddable platform within another engine. So while doing stuff for official which would be just normal Unity work they also have to work on said platform, scripting functionality and tools/toolkits which is the bridge to the underlying Unity code. Like atm they use a LUA like scripting language for the custom stuff you see on community servers, they're not doing anything actually in Unity or C# for example atm, just using the platform to make content.

Once the platform is more fleshed out and the toolkits then more manpower and resources will probably go to content.
    This is exactly correct. Currently Citadel is creating the platform AND the content on their official server. The community servers are creating content on top of a platform handed to them. Also a lot of community servers have their rule set based on other games they are trying to emulate, so they are not dealing as much with balancing. The two can't really be compared. And to be clear, I love and respect the community servers and jump on them often.

Once the platform itself is complete or at a stage where the developers are happy, Citadel can go crazy on content for the official server/s.
  • b0mb3r said:

Community servers will always have the advantage when it comes to content as they just have to use the platform CS is working on. The game is essentially a moddable platform within another engine. So while doing stuff for official which would be just normal Unity work they also have to work on said platform, scripting functionality and tools/toolkits which is the bridge to the underlying Unity code. Like atm they use a LUA like scripting language for the custom stuff you see on community servers, they're not doing anything actually in Unity or C# for example atm, just using the platform to make content.

This is exactly correct. Currently Citadel is creating the platform AND the content on their official server. The community servers are creating content on top of a platform handed to them. Also a lot of community servers have their rule set based on other games they are trying to emulate, so they are not dealing as much with balancing. The two can't really be compared. And to be clear, I love and respect the community servers and jump on them often.

Once the platform itself is complete or at a stage where the developers are happy, Citadel can go crazy on content for the official server/s.
  • Teufel said:

This is exactly correct. Currently Citadel is creating the platform AND the content on their official server. The community servers are creating content on top of a platform handed to them. Also a lot of community servers have their rule set based on other games they are trying to emulate, so they are not dealing as much with balancing. The two can't really be compared. .

This would be a compelling argument if community servers had full-time paid professional employees. Generally they are volunteers donating their time when they have some free. Sure there might be professionals among the volunteers but there is a difference between a hobby and a job.
  • I feel like the devs are just trying to polish the look of this game as much as possible in order to fool as many people into buying the game on Steam before everyone realizes how bad it is and it crashes and burns.