Give us NPC Guards

ValhaloValhalo Australia
edited July 14 in General Discussion
So as we all know, at the time of this posts creation LoA uses a system in which large portions of the map are 'Protected' meaning that if you do anything illegal you are instantly punished by a 5000 damage lightning bolt, and honestly this system just seems lazy, unrealistic and boring. Instead I propose NPC guard based safe-zones.

How does it work?
1) If you have committed a crime you are flagged as a criminal for 5 minutes, guards will kill you on sight.
2) If your karma is too low, guards will kill you on sight.
3) If a player sees a criminal inside a guard-zone he can target them and use /guards to alert the guards to his location.
4) Guards are extremely strong.
5) Guards have a high re-spawn rate.
6) Starter cities have a lot of guards

What will it change?
1) Cut down down the size of safe-zones to areas that are important to have protected, if we take The City of Valus for an example, everything inside the city would be a guard-zone, the sewers would be a guard-zone, the small graveyard would be a guard-zone, the large graveyard would not be a guard-zone, and the all the miles of wilderness that are currently protected would not be a guard-zone.
2) Easier to find PvP (See issues 1)

Issues?
1)Ganking new players. Something all PvP games have to deal with is the fact that some more experienced players prey on noobs. *However, everything the noobs need to learn the basics will be protected by guards, giving them a chance to learn to play before they venture out, it's not as if a player is going to spawn in just to be killed repeatedly like some people make it out to be also, preying on new players would not be beneficial, firstly you would no-longer be able to enter towns, since your karma will be too low, which is an inconvenience. Secondly, you have nothing to gain, an experienced player will not want the loot of a new player. But nonetheless there will still be people that do it, but there will also be people seeking out these criminal players so that they can also kill, but without punishment and that will create conflict and conflict= fun and purpose.

Please let me know if you agree or disagree and why.

Comments

• SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    You propose 2 different things:
    a) changing instakill for powerful guards.
    b) reducing safe areas greatly.

I disagree with both.
    a) I agree it's unrealistic, but it was needed. If devs find it unnecessary at a given point and revert it ok.
    b) That would mean you can't take a step outside the city (let's say to reach your own house nearby) without risking been killed, so there would not be state security but where the rich elite npcs live... an awful place to live. Those not interested in full time pvp will leave the game after a while.
  • Keep in mind that players will be able to create their own servers, ans you will be able to have 'hard core' rules at that time.
  • Hazard89Hazard89 Terra Australis
    Insta-kill? I thought that was a placeholder. Very disappointing. 'Make your own server' is snarky and not constructive. I won't be making my own server if I don't like the game, I just won't be playing.. and I think you'll see that is a very popular mode of thinking.

Insta-kill should be removed except for a very tutorial/beginner type of area. Otherwise there won't be any sense of danger or risk. If you can't be randomly murdered or robbed you may as well be playing ... literally anything else. What is the game offering?

You can make your own PvP-restricted server where there is insta-kill (You like that?)
  • Agree 100%. I will be anti-pk myself and I know if I go to Oasis I will find them but they can`t do the same. that is frustrating.
  • There is wide sections of unprotected areas, if you only live to gank beginner farmers maybe you need to man up.
  • YorlikYorlik www.arcanima.org
    Seems the discussion is multiplying into several threads.
    My answer is here:
    https://www.legendsofaria.com/forums/discussion/comment/34159/#Comment_34159
  • edited July 23
    Hazard89 said:

'Make your own server' is snarky and not constructive.

But the idea is a good one, which you're seemingly rejecting without any consideration here. There's only one official server right now, there will be more. And there will be plenty more community servers. Making your own server is a good alternative for some who wants to invest in different rule sets and/or communities.

The advice is perfectly sound. I'm not reading through the entire thread to see how it was delivered though and pass judgement - just trying to be positive and give frustrated folks hope. :)

• FLAG = PVP yes or PVP no - all problems solved.
    Turning the FLAG on or off is account based not character based. Make your choice wisely. Once Flag is set it is done.

Games needs a pirate city so everyone has a place to bank also.

This is an easy fix for 90% of the issues we all have currently.
  • edited July 24

FLAG = PVP yes or PVP no - all problems solved.
    no subscription fee means the barrier for entry on a second account is a couple of bucks up front so you can still have someone with support character set to PvP off.
  • beater07beater07 America
    Completely turn off PVP account wide? Gold farming bots love your idea.. but I don't.
  • Vampiriss said:

FLAG = PVP yes or PVP no - all problems solved.
    Turning the FLAG on or off is account based not character based. Make your choice wisely. Once Flag is set it is done.

This is an easy fix for 90% of the issues we all have currently.

Eww that's semi what Shroud of the Avatar did and they completely borked PvP.
  • Hazard89 said:

You can make your own PvP-restricted server where there is insta-kill (You like that?)

That's exactly what I intend to do. Make my own server that is, the rules will be announced when released.
  • Vampiriss said:

Yes, yes they do.