Addition of Executioner Weapons (Concern)

AmekaAmeka United States
edited June 14 in General Discussion
My guild and I were discussing the addition of executioner weapons into the game. We have a mix bag of feelings on this one. We like that fact that it allows non-crafters to participate in the economy (apart from selling prestige books). However, we are also concerned that these weapons will eclipse player crafted weapons and cause that portion of the economy to suffer.

We understand that this is quite a tight rope to walk, appeasing both crafters and non-crafters, but we want to make sure the development / design team is mindful of not allowing a run away effect where crafters are no longer needed/desired because magic weapons / armor and more powerful once attained. This tends to happen in a lot of games now of days.

Given that we do not currently know the drop rates for these weapons, and no "magic armor" has been announced as of yet. We would just like to request that crafters maintain a viable place in the game economy and not be marginalized by the introduction of magic armor / weapons into the game.

Edited:
We would like to suggest that instead of dropping weapons or armor, that monsters drop scrolls of enchantment that can then be applied to weapons or armor to give them the desired effect. This would allow the weapons and armor to still be crafted by players and would give non-crafters the ability to participate in the economy through selling these enchantment scrolls.

Thank you,
Ameka
Order of the Black Rose

Comments

• MytaMyta Here
    In my opinion nearly all items should come from crafters, including any kind of executioner weapon.
    The non-crafter should participate by providing the materials. Instead of dropping a special weapon by a mob (or a chest, or wherever its supposed to come from), drop a special material that can be used by crafters to create the weapon. That also keeps the base materials in demand (mined ore etc.)
  • The ability to attain a comparable level of success through crafting instead of adventuring is, in my opinion, crucial to these types of games and quite often where they fail. The game should seek to strengthen the relationship between these two types of players. Many players will have both types of characters but there are definitely people out there who prefer one to the other and the fact that you have the freedom to supply the battle as opposed to participating directly is one of the beautiful things about it. Please be careful not to marginalize crafters.
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    Executioner weapons are rare, they also are only more powerful than crafted weapons against a specific type of enemy.

They have zero plus attack making them worse than the worst possible crafted weapon for general use. Making a weapon via crafting that's as bad as an Executioner weapon is no easy task as you'd have to roll a +1% attack and even then, for general purpose use, crafted is still slightly better.

Plus crafted items will always have the most durability and repair is still on the way.
  • AmekaAmeka United States
    Kade said:

Executioner weapons are rare, they also are only more powerful than crafted weapons against a specific type of enemy.

They have zero plus attack making them worse than the worst possible crafted weapon for general use. Making a weapon via crafting that's as bad as an Executioner weapon is no easy task as you'd have to roll a +1% attack and even then, for general purpose use, crafted is still slightly better.

Plus crafted items will always have the most durability and repair is still on the way.

Kade, thank you for your quick response this is great news! We would like to know if the current plan is to have these executioner weapons be repairable? If so, it will require a player crafter to repair them?

Thank you,
    Ameka
    Order of the Black Rose
    When repair becomes available all but Cursed items can be repaired.

The current planned method is via player crafters with each repair lowering the items maximum durability, making it a bit more brittle each time.
    For clarification on Cursed items, these come from Death in the catacombs
  • JOnusJOnus USA
    edited June 14
    I for one like the idea of having

The ability to attain a comparable level of success through crafting instead of adventuring is, in my opinion, crucial to these types of games and quite often where they fail. The game should seek to strengthen the relationship between these two types of players. Many players will have both types of characters but there are definitely people out there who prefer one to the other and the fact that you have the freedom to supply the battle as opposed to participating directly is one of the beautiful things about it. Please be careful not to marginalize crafters.

I am also concerned with marginalization of crafters. If the game is created to be player driven I am not sure looking to a PVE source for the "Best weapon" is a valuable idea. At what point is a crafter useless? If I enjoy killing liches and I get a sword that executed liches I can fight those to my hearts content in a protected zone with no other spawn. This is a weapon that I will strive to find or purchase. Doing so will negate all crafted items and create a situation where I am only interacting within a PVE world. I will than hoard gold an other items that find. Enough people doing this would create a huge in game economic problem.

JOnus
    Order of the Black Rose
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Possible solution executioner weapons could have really low durability or limited uses.
  • AmekaAmeka United States
    Kade, thank you for the clarification. We really appreciate your teams time and effort on adding new features and allowing for open discussion of those features.

Ameka,
    Order of the Black Rose
    edited June 14
    JOnus said:

I for one like the idea of having

The ability to attain a comparable level of success through crafting instead of adventuring is, in my opinion, crucial to these types of games and quite often where they fail. The game should seek to strengthen the relationship between these two types of players. Many players will have both types of characters but there are definitely people out there who prefer one to the other and the fact that you have the freedom to supply the battle as opposed to participating directly is one of the beautiful things about it. Please be careful not to marginalize crafters.

I am also concerned with marginalization of crafters. If the game is created to be player driven I am not sure looking to a PVE source for the "Best weapon" is a valuable idea. At what point is a crafter useless? If I enjoy killing liches and I get a sword that executed liches I can fight those to my hearts content in a protected zone with no other spawn. This is a weapon that I will strive to find or purchase. Doing so will negate all crafted items and create a situation where I am only interacting within a PVE world. I will than hoard gold an other items that find. Enough people doing this would create a huge in game economic problem.

JOnus
    Order of the Black Rose
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Possible solution executioner weapons could have really low durability or limited uses.
    Kade said:

Executioner weapons are rare...

..zero plus attack .. worse than the worst possible crafted weapon ...

..crafted items .. have the most durability ...

Ameka said:

Kade, thank you for the clarification. We really appreciate your teams time and effort on adding new features and allowing for open discussion of those features.

Ameka,
    Order of the Black Rose

We appreciate you playing and enjoying :)

• -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Possible solution executioner weapons could have really low durability or limited uses.
    Kade said:

Executioner weapons are rare...

..zero plus attack .. worse than the worst possible crafted weapon ...

..crafted items .. have the most durability ...

Thank you Kade. I second what Ameka said. We are excited about what is to come.

JOnus,
    Order of the Black Rose