Keep Testing and Win a Lord Pack

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
BAF ending, the patch will be on Test all weekend, and we have a contest for you beta testers! http://www.legendsofaria.com/beta-testers-only-win-a-lord-pack-this-weekend/

And if the winner already has a Lord Pack or better rewards via KS, well, we'll work something out that will make you feel rewarded.

Comments

• NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    Pst what time does that start?
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    We're going to run the query for the whole weekend starting at midnight tonight and ending midnight Sunday night.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    *cracks fingers*
  • GlokGlok Ukraine
    Interesting. I received the newsletter about the testing even though I do not have access to it. I would gladly take a glimpse of it.
  • Have logged in after a long absense:
    Created an archer. As there were no quests or anything I ran out of town and collected some animal skins and treasure from thieves, goblins and skeletons. At some point I realized that I was apparently out of arrows. Tried to find a merchant to buy new ones, the merchants I found had no goods at all. Then wanted to run to the next city to search for a merchant with stuff there. Map didn't work (thought it's a bug). Ran around for about an hour without finding any town or merchant. Gave up. Now found out that the map was deliberately removed....

What would be the plan how a new player would cope with such a situation? Delete the character and create a new one just to return to a city?
    Imho everybody should at least start with the map of the start area and if he went to unmapped territory at least a position marker so he can run back to mapped out territory and buy some maps there.
  • edited June 9
    P.S.: Found some maps in the internet. But having to jump out of the game just to add some fundamental functionality imho doesn't make much sense. Particularly because with the current level design the landscape looks so similar everywhere (almost like procedurally generated) that it's very hard to find out where you are even with a map.
    If you aim for "realism" please add more distinctive landscapes, the capability to ask guards for directions and an e.g. zoom out feature that simulates the ability to look at the horizon.
    The current approach is imho just frustrating.
  • beater07beater07 America

...What would be the plan how a new player would cope with such a situation?

I would recommend speaking to your doctor, they might have something you can take that would help.

My advice or suggestion for the game is that all basic starting materials (wood, ore, hides, etc) and a low level dungeon entrance should be able to be found in or within 1-2 screens of the starting town's border. A new player should pretty much spend his first few sessions of playing and never leave that area. After they are confident in this area they can venture out as far as they know they can find their way back and try and find new adventures.

If the game is making you go out and get lost just to find basic materials for arrows and armor then they've done it wrong. Either the game devs need to recheck that every class can survive (with basic needs) from stuff found within 1-2 screens of the town or you didn't use your brain and ran into the wilderness assuming the game was going to hold your hand and keep you from getting lost.

• I just tried to give some first impressions of what I thought in the first hours of playing this game. Perhaps I was stupid and decided wrong. Which probably might happen to more starters as the game gives no directions at all what to do in the game - you just start standing in the middle of the city and try to guess what your purpose might be. So an archer deciding to go out hunting after speaking with many of the npcs in town (no players around) and not getting any meaningful dialog options with them might be "wrong" and "not using my brain" - but from my perspective not completely unexpected. (The unexpected part started when I ran out of arrows and then tried to open the map...)

Imho particularly a sandbox game that completely relies on players should have some roadmap to keep new players attracted instead of frustrating them. E.g. along the lines what Ryzom does (which beside the point has a super friendly player community that know that helping out newbies in starter areas (instead of insulting them right from the start) is the way to keep their game alive).
  • edited June 10
    Read some additional postings regarding the "map with gps thing". I personally don't see much merrit in not showing the player where he is on the map. C'mon, a mage can summon hell from the skies to burn a dragon into dust but not bewitch a map so it shows where the player stands? Even Harry Potter could do that :P

But if you so insist: Why not a compromise: Offer a "starter map" of the size of the entire world - but only the starter region filled out (the rest is just blacked out). And only this starter map offers "GPS". So you can find back to that starter region (where you can buy basic stuff) from everywhere.
    This map could be available to every player and open when you press "m".

Other maps that can be bought offer the details for other areas - and if people insist don't provide the GPS functionality.

Might that be an idea?

P.S.: Or another alternative: A unlimited use "town portal" as standard equipment that teleports you back to the starter region. So if you don't know anymore what's going on you can always go back to a defined state.
  • edited June 10

Read some additional postings regarding the "map with gps thing". I personally don't see much merrit in not showing the player where he is on the map. C'mon, a mage can summon hell from the skies to burn a dragon into dust but not bewitch a map so it shows where the player stands? Even Harry Potter could do that :P

But if you so insist: Why not a compromise: Offer a "starter map" of the size of the entire world - but only the starter region filled out (the rest is just blacked out). And only this starter map offers "GPS". So you can find back to that starter region (where you can buy basic stuff) from everywhere.
    This map could be available to every player and open when you press "m".

Other maps that can be bought offer the details for other areas - and if people insist don't provide the GPS functionality.

Might that be an idea?

I think this suggestion on the Map/GPS issue is a very good compromise. By the way, I could not find where to buy a map in the starting area either - hopefully this will be addressed by the new "New Player Experience".
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]

Even Harry Potter could do that :P

That was a special, magic and unique item. Maybe here it could be the same...
    But if you give newbies a magic map with GPS, I want also a magic fishing rod that automatically finds fish, and a magic shovel to find treasures :)
  • edited June 11
    Sacha said:

But if you give newbies a magic map with GPS, I want also a magic fishing rod that automatically finds fish, and a magic shovel to find treasures :)

Question will be: How many people will quit the game when they
    A ) have to delete and recreate their character after 1+ hour trying to return to a city where they can buy basic stuff like food or arrows just because the developers decided to deliberately leave out a (game)life quality feature they learned to expect from a 21th century game
    B ) don't get magic fish and treasure detectors, infinite use instant kill AoE spells or invisibility and invincibility cloaks that likely not so many would have expected to get

My quit rate estimate (reasonably well founded on high quality thin air) for these features being left out would be 76 of 100 for A and 1 of 1000001 for B and for these features being implemented 2 of 100 for A and 98 of 100 for B :)
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Wonderful world of guesses and long term vs short term adiction.
    We can also guess the quit rate estimate for a game that gives players only what they have learned to expect from a 21th century game, when build by a indie company.
  • Who won??
    I have contacted the winner and asked him what he wants me to call him in the announcement :)

The database spit out the guy's real name and I don't use those without permission. Just because I'm dumb enough to put my real name everywhere doesn't mean everyone's gotta be that dumb.
  • Nice, congrats!