Patch Notes, 5/25/18

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
Servers will return at 11:30 EDT with the following fixes and new goodies:

- You can now securely trade with other players through the context menu option “Trade”
- You can now trade houses with other players by selecting “Transfer Ownership” from the house sign.
- The world map is no longer available via the ‘M’ key. We feel strongly that “GPS” doesn’t make sense in our world, and having a map you open with a hotkey creates the wrong expectation. We have plans for more navigation tools that do make sense in a sandbox world. See the next note for our first pass:
- Players can now purchase physical maps of the 5 world areas of Celador in the respective towns / outposts.
- Players can rename and place waypoints on physical maps
- Players can no longer mark locations on notes.

-Combat tweaks
1) Increased the heal amount of Heal
2) Increased the STR damage modifier from 40% to 100%
3) Reduced base weapon damages to account for strength mod increase
4) Removed stamina potions
5) Affinity now provides the bulk of evocation damage in the absence of staves.

-You can now accept crafting orders from blacksmiths. Make the requested items, add them to the order, and turn them in for a reward. Crafting orders provide a way for any player to earn a living through making weapons and armor.
-Removed composite material drops that were not being utilized, such as thread, charcoal, and others*.
- Dynamic camps now have mobs and loot that make sense for the difficulty of the camp
-Server optimization pass.
-Server stability fixes.

*I know that patch note sucks, but the person who removed the items is out this morning. I'll update when I have more information.

Comments

• Aewsome! Thanks for your hard work, as always! :)
  • Curious about the map changes. Need to check it out.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Those are great news! Thx Sanya and all the team! :smiley:
  • edited May 25
    > Affinity now provides the bulk of evocation damage in the absence of staves.

Welp, the game sucks again, GG

Finally had fun UO style hybrids, but can't have that I guess, because this game hates fun.

These patches seem really aimless, and just random shots in the dark.
    It's like the team has no idea which direction they wanna move in, so they randomly just fuck mages up.

Week to week these patches are just all over the fucking place, and show absolutely no indication of what the team is thinking, and how they are balancing shit with the feedback of maybe only 1-2 players, who tend to skew things to favor their own personal builds.
  • So I'm curious about the Magic Affinity change. Does this mean that Staves are a no-go in the future? I've kept Magic Affinity specifically for Staves, you've given me a reason to keep it now, but at the same time, I always wield a staff (or spellbook) so it seems you have just traded the problem. There's no reason for me to use them anymore.. Other than that, I'm happy to see a patch.
  • edited May 25
    Do I have to redownload the client or is there an update option?
  • BOD's! Wohoo! Awesome addition for us crafters.
  • edited May 25
    Really? You removed map? Great decision Citadel, especially for new players. (clap) To wander around the world without knowing where you are its really newbie friendly and very "exciting". :neutral: . First fail with no arrow in map to show your location. Now this.. Just don't make it hard for new players, these days ppl are used to a map function.
    Don't even talk about "Players can now purchase physical maps of the 5 world areas of Celador in the respective towns / outposts." thats just stupid.
  • I actually support the map changes if it works how I am thinking. If I can explore and make and KEEP my waypoints I added, it will work. On top of that, my map that I spent hours marki g with relevant locations for my character should be lootable on death.
  • edited May 25
    To all those complaining: do tell us more about your successful careers as game designers.
  • I really love that the "GPS" function has been removed. The less hand-holding the game offers, the more fun it will be, in my opinion. Thank you for striving to offer a grittier experience than the softer MMOs out there!
  • Zxcv said:

To all those complaining: do tell us more about your successfull careers as game designers.

A lot of people that post here are developers as well, and do develop games and designs. My full time job is software development.

But see that's the thing, you don't need to be a good designer or even a programmer to realize when people are just randomly throwing darts at the board instead of providing a cohesive balancing strategy.

Hybrids, an all time classic UO favorite since the dawn of the MMO's -- which gloriously made it's way back to the game in the shape of Hally/Bashing mages is now unceremoniously ripped out for no reason whatsoever.

Mages now require 300 skill points to be able to do damage and regen mana -- 400 if you want to heal yourself.

This patch just aims to completely remove Hybrids from the game, no explanation, no comments, just fucking plopped on there like some sloppy lettuce and tomato on the cheapest McDonalds burger you can buy.

PvP was in a literal sweet spot, and was finally coming together, only to be unceremoniously fucked with for absolutely no reason. Tamers can DPS hundreds of DMG in seconds, but yes it's MAGE HYBRIDS that REALLY needed the nerf, after they just got done being nerfed to hell and back.

Overall, the reception of this patch is poor, and no you don't have to be a fucking software designer to figure out that the population is dying, and the Dev team is aimlessly throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Only now are we getting trade windows, fine we can all agree they are much needed, but honestly who really cares at this point. No one is playing the game, no one is leaving the guard zone, because loot tables have been completely busted for a month now or longer. What's the point of a trade window, if no one is around to trade with?
  • Zxcv said:

To all those complaining: do tell us more about your successful careers as game designers.

Be fair, tell us of CS employees successful careers as game designers.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    The ability to sell your house is very welcome too. Great patch.
  • So when are pets going to get the changes they need? They are still far too weak and frail.
  • BoS_Anksieth_GallantBoS_Anksieth_Gallant Serpents Hold
    edited May 26
    I am sad my snipe brokeded. Since I was home on leave I did not notice until this past tour of duty. While on overwatch duty I saw a combat aged male on a cell phone, likely reporting troop movements or talking' to his ol' lady, then lost sight of him only to find a mother and her young child exiting their wood house cottage and heading directly to my brothers in arms. I noticed the mother hand her child an explosive device that was likely made by a notorious PK who is trying to keep a low profile. Regardless, I pulled myself together, nocked an arrow, began to draw but realized I could not loose the arrow as I had learned from the book that ranger read to me. No, it wasn't because I had teary eyes because the intent to skewer a child in front of his mother, I simply just couldn't snipe anymore. So now my guild mates are dead and I can't find enough poisonous mushrooms for my quest to ramble on, self medicate, and try to find a quarter staff or gnarled staff for non magical reasons but for bashing like a mace weapon Donatello style.

/salute

• Jon_IrenicusJon_Irenicus internetman@email.cz
    Feedback to map: it is so exiting to be lost most of the time and instead of actually doing fun stuff just running around, swearing, frustrated ... now its a good time to remove the minimap compass so you can be completly lost!

Buying map in town? Why? I am lost until I learn where to go without the current map, why should I bother buyin some useless map from npc? I dont use M anyway since it does not help.
  • edited May 26
    So far, the maps that you must buy is a problem for two reasons. Consider this as constructive criticism, feedback and/or suggestion.
    i. Their weight is 1. Which might not seem like a lot but is quite much when you need to buy one map per area.
    ii. There isn't (at least for a mage) enough room for the hotkeys to short-bound them to a simple keyboard.

Solution: Decrease their weight to perhaps 0.25 per map and add more hotbars where you can place your maps (just like you do with a skill/spell). Priority is the absurd weight of the maps, that now makes a hunting round even shorter due to not being able to carry more copper.

Just my five cents.
  • CryodacryCryodacry cryodacry@hotmail.com
    OMG .... you guy's did not think this through on the damage increases .... you basically increased the damage of every NPC in the game by about 60 % .... This is crazy town .... I went into Halls of Ruin and got hit for 470 non crit damage from an Evil Dead Archer... This is obsurd ! .... I would hit every NPC with a 30 % str Nerf or more to bring them into a tolerable range again.
  • Nice hysterics folks. You should win an award for drama.

Game design has long practiced a rock-paper-scissors approach to classes. Specialization > Versatility. Every player should be forced to make choices, and this implementation in a game still under major development should be expected.

Perhaps you are not good enough to find a way to make it work. No shame in that (I would not be able to), but that doesn't mean that someone else cannot either. So let the devs push the boundaries while we testers see how those changes can be applied in the game world. Then, after providing constructive feedback, the game will be made better.
  • Agnius said:

Really? You removed map? Great decision Citadel, especially for new players. (clap) To wander around the world without knowing where you are its really newbie friendly and very "exciting". :neutral: . First fail with no arrow in map to show your location. Now this.. Just don't make it hard for new players, these days ppl are used to a map function.
    Don't even talk about "Players can now purchase physical maps of the 5 world areas of Celador in the respective towns / outposts." thats just stupid.

I mean this game isn't supposed to be "Newby friendly". It draws it's influence from UO, and there was no "M" for map in as far as I'm concerned the map thing doesn't change much, there already wasn't a GPS arrow, so the map was mostly useless. You will always be able to go to Wikis, or buy the little physical objects. I think you're blowing this out of proportion. If a new player gets on and quits quickly because they are "lost" and don't have a GPS map, then this game probably isn't for them in the first place. WoW is always there for those types.
  • WhisperMaddisonWhisperMaddison United States
    Pretty much everyone used the easy map add on in UO once it was out. One will eventually be made for this game and no one won't use it, might as well put it in the game and make it toggleable or something.
  • By the way, I never used to use the M map so much anyways, just clicked alt+tab to change window to http://exilesresource.com/ et voìla!
  • DerrinDerrin United States
    Has anyone been able to talk to a blacksmith and get the crafting orders? I have talked to the Blacksmith in Helm and Eldier to no avail. No option, nothing. How do we use this new feature?
  • Hey guys, I've been playing for a couple of weeks and just thought I would chime in on the map discussion.
    I rely pretty heavily on the map at the moment using the note/waypoint thing to get my bearings.
    That being said, I don't think not having the map is going to be a great issue for new players. If someone gets lost, and gets to frustrated they can always hit "stuck" and get back to town. No doubt this will cause people to be more mindful of where they are.
    I don't see having to get 5 different maps as being any different than having to buy recall stones.
    If you want to get around easily, you are going to have to pay for that convenience, just like in RL. Some people choose to have GPS in their cars, others like not knowing every second where they are or how long it is going to take them to get somewhere. The devs are giving you a choice. I applaude that.

• RaizjielRaizjiel Canada
    I'm not quite sure what direction this game is taking anymore... A lot of strange changes throughout the last year or so and the forums are almost completely dead now. I don't see this game ever coming to a full release, or even close to polished enough to compete with some of the other games out there by the end of August. The world still feels dead and empty, dungeons are lack luster at best. Animations are clunky, bugs I have reported almost every round of Alpha/Beta still have not been addressed. Best of luck everyone, I'll check back in September.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    Cryodacry said:

OMG .... you guy's did not think this through on the damage increases .... you basically increased the damage of every NPC in the game by about 60 % .... This is crazy town .... I went into Halls of Ruin and got hit for 470 non crit damage from an Evil Dead Archer... This is obsurd ! .... I would hit every NPC with a 30 % str Nerf or more to bring them into a tolerable range again.

Exactly. Except players aren't effected as well as NPC's I guess. Melee damage for Players being completely broken. I sent an email. we'll see.

The dragon spawn is broken and keeps resetting on the second phase due to AOE lag spikes that are around 3-10 seconds long. (Meteor a group of mobs or use destruction and Energy Bolt) On top of the mobs hitting for too much(snakes doing 60 damage.... White named snakes do 60 damage((to light armor all +2)))you can't do enough damage with melee in time for phase 3.

I was figuring that STR could work this way. I don't know why they are doing it to everything in the game and not just players but :| we'll see what happens.
    I know these aren't the official numbers. I'm just throwing hypothetical numbers.
    10 str (No bonus) 2 handed weapons would get 5%
    15 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 5% 2 handed weapons would get 8%
    20 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 8% 2 handed weapons would get 13%
    25 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 10% 2 handed weapons would get 19%
    30 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 13% 2 handed weapons would get 23%
    35 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 15% 2 handed weapons would get 30%
    40 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 19% 2 handed weapons would get 40%
    45 (+X.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 24% 2 handed weapons would get 50%
    50 (+XX.XX% bonus) 1 handed damage would get 50% 2 handed weapons would get 80%

But notice how the most impact came at 50? That's what I mean. I would love to see Stats matter more, and for people to have to sacrifice stat points to be really strong or really healthy. or closer to being in the middle for hybrid builds. Unlike Constitution. from 40 to 50 Con, you only get 50 Health, but going 30-40 gives you 100.. I believe it should be the other way around. low hp with low con, until you hit 50 and gain 150 or something that would equate to the same HP you get now, 550 max. To mitigate keeping stats from staying off of even numbers like why have 22 STR!? well grant the other passives as well for the in between gains. Like from 30-35 str you get that bonus X% damage and more weight allowance. Make 31-34 just receive weight allowance. Whichever is the secondary function for the stats when gaining should be the in between numbers. Primary stats are on the main brackets of 5, so it's actually worth spending 50 on a stat. as of now there is a basic stat placement among all builds. I want to change that to more complex builds having to sacrifice Health for damage. I do not like seeing mages being in Tank or Warrior range and then complain that they get hit to hard resulting in the disabled prestige abilities Snipe and Backstab, along side the same patch that would have mitigated it all. We've tested snipe over and over and mixing line of sight/Shield/vanguard/stasis/heroism/plate/Heavy armor proficiency all work very well if you don't want to get shot by it. You can't even just snipe whenever you want to either, Mages can do enough damage to where you can't fire snipe because you can't do anything while snipe is readying.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    Right now I just want balance and Stats to matter more-so than they are now. I want PvE worth the time. Now I stress even more "Time" due to the map changes. I for 1 don't care because I memorized the map, but new players wont even know that you can buy or have to buy the map when they start playing. Might be annoying for beginners. PvE Needs fixed now that STR is broken.. I told Grim I didn't like that, that was the changes that were being made to STR, and he assured me he and Miphon were going to test it first and adjust if they felt like there needed to be more damage output.. It feels like they didn't test anything and just threw it out there for us to suffer :P jk but seriously. C'mon. The fix was adding 60% damage to the previous 40% damage bonus scaled from STR to melee damage. Well before when it was 40% scaled damage, You would only see about 5-8 more average damage per second at 50 str compared to 10 str. So that 60% was only effecting 5-8 damage, not total damage. Now when it comes to NPC damage, I don't know how it worked for them... they hit like trucks now. try a group of Lizardman archers at once now.... Rip.
  • i agree with this jubbin
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    edited May 30
    Regarding maps: One interesting thing with the new map functionality is you can actually give people maps directing them to a place. Mark X on the map for your house, your secret meeting, your Fight Club, and give the map to someone.

Also regarding maps: I'm very sorry about the way we handled this. We should have held this removal until we had other stuff ready to go. I apologize and we're having Discussions on being more systematic going forward.

Balance: Part of the problem here is that some of you are giving us feedback based on, essentially, dueling. And we need to balance with that in mind, but maybe 33% in mind. The rest of the balance has to be done with open field combat in mind...a kind of combat you won't see until we have more people.

It's dangerous to do too much balancing right now because we still have a list of missing things. (Backstab replacement, Snipe replacement, stamina functionality, animal lore functionality, cooldowns on bleed.) Once we have those in, we can get to prestige tweaks, and then to proper balance.

We are not doing those things until later this week. The programmer who does those things is working on a behind the scenes system that has to be done first. In the meantime Jeffrey is focusing on the loot table overhaul (which itself is missing some items we're still working on).

All of these things should coalesce within a few weeks. You will know when I feel like we have a rough cut of the game ready to go when I trigger the guild beta invites.

That's all I've got right now.

Sorry for not bringing this information to you sooner - I was actually deathly sick all last week, and my worst day was Friday. I was doing patch notes with a 103F (39.4C) fever and I was honestly missing about a third of my usual mental capacity. I saw the map note and I was all, I know this is going to be wrong but I don't know whyyyyyyy. It's MY job to know when we're communicating something poorly and I just plain hooked the hurdle when I tried to jump it.