Armor and the respected value towards a character.

CryodacryCryodacry cryodacry@hotmail.com
So i've been testing this quite a bit and there seems to be a huge problem in LoA... #1 .. there is no apparent value to wearing full plate over chain. #2 there is marginal difference between light armor and heavy armor. #3 the value add of Light armor skill verses Heavy armor skill.

#1 ...
I've been playing around with this and it appears that there is no difference between Full plate and Chain. This is a huge problem considering the massive investment that goes into full plate. If there is a difference it so nominal that it is not noticed to the untrained eye.

I've been playing two different characters and really I see little difference between the protection provided between the two. The base items them selves have similar stats.

This is the largest problem.... Light armor is a strait DPS add with very noticeable gains. Heavy armor Does little to increase your mitigation. It appears that the Chance for critical strike cannot go below 5%. The Crit reduction does not balance the crit gain against light armor. There is little or no gain in defense with the skill. That said light armor gives you evasion and the ability to run faster with agility. Currently Light armor has too many pro's going for it and not enough negatives. Heavy armor skill is just a joke ...

@Sanya

I know your busy with stuff but this is really in need of addressing prior to launch. Heavy armor is in dire need of buffs as light armor is almost as good and provides more than a 75 % damage increase.

Comments

• edited May 16
    Is it possible that you are missing the stats or prestige abilities which help you make the most of your heavy armor? I don't know much about calculations that go into computing how effective plate armor is, but those might be a factor you have not considered.

It would still be nice to hear from others who have been testing the game, though. Anybody with experience on builds which use heavy armor? Maybe @Miphon_CS or @Sanya might be able to chime in as well.
  • CryodacryCryodacry cryodacry@hotmail.com
    Zxcv said:

Is it possible that you are missing the stats or prestige abilities which help you make the most of your heavy armor? I don't know much about calculations that go into computing how effective plate armor is, but those might be a factor you have not considered.

It would still be nice to hear from others who have been testing the game, though. Anybody with experience on builds which use heavy armor? Maybe @Miphon_CS or @Sanya might be able to chime in as well.

Not really....

I am GM Heavy Armor Skill... There is almost no balance between Heavy Armor and Light armor. Vanguard is the Prestige ability that helps you tank ... it forces all targets within 15 yards to attack you. It also gives you some defense.... That is completely mute towards the balance between Heavy armor and Light Armor. Light armor provides almost the same protection while Heavy Armor does not give any benefit other than a minor amount of crit reduction that does not go below 5 %

If your looking for the Meta on Melee ... wear leather armor with a shield and your weapon of choice. Heavy armor and Light armor offer very little difference in how hard your getting hit.
  • CryodacryCryodacry cryodacry@hotmail.com
    @sanya

Heavy armor needs love ... In Specific the Skill it's self... There should be some sort of Defense Scaling with the skill. As is there is no Reason to use Heavy armor over Light.... Light gives roughly the same protection while yeilding Crit / Evasion / Movement speed from agility.

Where is the Heavy armor equivalents.... I would Suggest maybe adding your strength bonus to Armor ? Higher Defense Value .... and keep the crit reduction ? Either way these two are not remotely close to being balanced.
  • RelsanctRelsanct Costa Rica
    @Cryodacry

I would agree that this needs attention, and overall I also believe heavy armor is lacking. However I think you are not giving heavy armor quite enough credit. That is mainly in regards to the vanguard skill. It does not reduce a little damage, it nearly makes you immune for a period and has a fairly short cool down. Using vanguard effectively is a complete game changer. It is the only thing right now that reliably reduces magic damage, along with silence.

My problem with the vanguard skill is that the base vanguard ability reduces too much damage. It is too easy to take light armor for example, put just 20 pts into heavy, and you get a skill that reduces dmg by I believe 60% at first level. If I remember correctly the highest level of vanguard is 80% damage reduction?

I would suggest first level vanguard reduce closer to 20% or 30% so that if a player wants to achieve 60% or 80% damage reduction they should have to invest more points into the heavy armor skill.

Also I feel like heavy armor reducing run speed so greatly makes it nearly useless and possibly a bigger issue. You become a turtle, can not catch anyone, can not run away, the lowered crit value makes it hard to do enough damage to defend yourself. If skills like hamstring worked better to slow your opponent it wouldn´t be so bad so at least you could absorb damage and provide CC in a group. As of now even in group pvp a heavy armor tank has little value.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    armor values are all jacked up. any type of heavy armor can only yield you (with +3 on all pieces) 39 extra armor. It's stupid because Full plate should have the highest Defense value... This is why Snipe got nerffed... Most of the QQ'ers were wearing cloth and armor values are already broken so they got hit hard as hell and couldn't figure out why... I had no prob with snipe in my heavy armor. With the right prestige skills you can mitigate most if not all of it easily. but yeah, all heavy armor is crap when looking at it's Defense value, and not Defense rating. the rating will say a higher # than your defnse on your character screen.