UI Feedback - Pick One Thing

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
Probably the biggest thing we get feedback on from people playing the game for the first time is difficulty with our user interface. We know we have improvements to make, and as it happens, we've got a list :)

I'm here today to get some help prioritizing this list. Would you all please post ONE thing about the UI that frustrates you? I know there are multiple things, and polishing UI is not a one time process, so don't feel like limiting yourself to one thing will mean the thing that's ALMOST as annoying will never get fixed. I just want some help figuring out which is the top source of grit in the gears.

Please be as specific as you can. You're welcome to propose a solution, but the important thing here is creating the list.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• maybe make it where we can change the scales on hotbars and our health/stam/mana bar and mini map
    so we can see more of the game. and be able to move the hotbars around the health bar around mini map around ect. but otherwise isnt a bad ui just would like to make the scaling on hotbars a lot smaller
  • bigger highlighting on karma protection setting. i never know if its on or off, always needs to trigger it, so see what the current state was. The current "on"-state doesnt really have big difference to the icon when its not activated.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    -For new players coming in the question I see the most is where to see stats/guild information on the character sheet(some way of highlighting the sides expand out)
    -Chat commands to see /karma should be somewhere on the UI
    -A toggle to make the minimap stay true-north
  • YayukiYayuki United States
    edited May 14
    Hotkey modifiers for ability slots (shift+1, shift+2, shift+3, alt+1, alt+2, etc...)
  • I know there is already a ui scale I mean make the scale worth even smaller or make it when you hide UI it doesn't hide player names and ur healthbar under the character
  • @yayuki UI-Feedback ;)
  • AHHHHHHH just one?????

OK if I have to pic one of my two biggest pet peeves, it would be the following.

Ability to move hot bars and skills to any slot. I hate that Q and E are the main abilities . Also my brain likes my hot bars on the bottom of my screen instead of the left or right.

Fix, Allow hot bars to be unlocked and moved anywhere on the screen.
  • YayukiYayuki United States
    Kell said:

@yayuki UI-Feedback ;)

That is UI. :smile: Maybe you're thinking GUI? :smile:
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    The game not saving the UI state.
    Each time I open the game I have to block the chat window, open the backpack and put it in the right position, same thing for the god window, etc.
    Make all that UI settings persistent!
  • edited May 14
    I'm going to go with persistent UI settings as well!

There's a lot of things that could use some love and polish (more keybind options, chat, mini-map true north toggle as previously stated, etc.) but what annoys me most is the UI not saving the position I move all of the elements to. Everything should have it's own anchor and we should be able to pin it wherever we want - including the loot window with an toggle option to follow tool-tip (mouse) or set position, and MOST OF ALL when I craft (i.e., cook fish) and it goes into my backpack, make the newly created items stack instead of appearing in a random location? It's no fun to have to stack each individual item after we already had to click and drag and click just to make one combine - having to stack each one too is giving me carpel tunnel when I skill up. lol
  • MindsMinds Devils of Kimone
    The top of my list is easily the lack of fully customizable hotkeys. I want to be able to bind any spell/skill to any key or key combination on my keyboard, and not be limited to 30 or however many we get now. The full 45 is better (as LoU has unlocked), but still not enough.

This is of course a UO vet perspective. Seems there are some WoW players who popped up on Official, who build their characters around prestige abilities, and literally rock 7 hotkeys total, which I find unimaginably low for "UO2". If that's the crowd which this game draws in then the UO vet priority list will not align with theirs.
  • DominusDominus I always start my day with a Special K, for breakfast.
    Font size & Font choice. I can't read the current font easily, some options would be helpful for older players that didn't listen when they said it would make us blind.
  • LinthuLinthu Colorado
    I want pack mules. Wait, what do you mean thats not UI?! I would want to see them through the UI, doesnt that count?

Ok, ok, ok. Then i will second Damander's post:
    Damander said:

Ability to move hot bars and skills to any slot. I hate that Q and E are the main abilities . Also my brain likes my hot bars on the bottom of my screen instead of the left or right.

Fix, Allow hot bars to be unlocked and moved anywhere on the screen.

• If I can pick only one thing... then give me an ability to move the mini map somewhere else.
  • Minds said:

The top of my list is easily the lack of fully customizable hotkeys. I want to be able to bind any spell/skill to any key or key combination on my keyboard, and not be limited to 30 or however many we get now. The full 45 is better (as LoU has unlocked), but still not enough.

This is of course a UO vet perspective. Seems there are some WoW players who popped up on Official, who build their characters around prestige abilities, and literally rock 7 hotkeys total, which I find unimaginably low for "UO2". If that's the crowd which this game draws in then the UO vet priority list will not align with theirs.

Fair point, and I agree that we definitely need more hotkeys.

You're not wrong but back during the first 2 expansions in WOW, I came within a few keybinds of filling up every hot bar Bartender had to offer (10 x 12).

This last decade in WOW has been a lot different though, and you can rock a class with 7 or less most of the time :(

45 would be awesome!
  • Make the "chat bubble" (that appears over your head when you talk) raedible.

It being a plain thin small white text makes it really hard to notice when players try to talk to you and vice-versa. Also hurts my eyes to read it.
    This is my prio one because the social aspect of a game like LoA is really important, and having people ignore each-others because their eyes aren't neccesarily focused on other players all the time ain't optimal.
  • MazcoteMazcote United States
    Persistent chat, maybe a flyout/expandable scroll page like old school UO, anything with a more "permanent" method of viewing chat text.

Minimap fixed north.

Persistent UI settings.

I quit playing UO in ~ 2001 so I am not sure if any changes were made since but that's what I mean by "Old School".
  • Persistent chat. +1
  • Mazcote said:

Minimap fixed north.

PLEASE do not forget to include a "toggle" in your request!

Just straight up changing the mini-map fixed to N instead of NE would literally force me to start my map projects over again - and if at any point in the future it changes without a toggle, I will have to start from scratch to make any updates.

So, simple solution is, give everyone a toggle to have it face true North, and if you want the toggle enabled by default, go for it. But please include a toggle in your requests, folks!
  • TihraLahnTihraLahn www.teiravon.com
    +1 Persistent Chat
    Chat tabs
    And +1 to toggle in all previous requests ^^^
  • fiyadankfiyadank Murica
    edited May 16
    more chat windows please..one for global, one for combat ...

id like to know who is online in guild when I log on. there needs to be a more informative guild tab please

also please let us move any parts of the ui that we see fit. no reason for anything to be static in this age of gameing
  • edited May 16
    I dislike the fact that some important buttons are attached to the minimap, even though they have nothing to do with the map itself. It would make more sense to have them on a separate location, hopefully making their function more intuitive.

Also, please improve the big world map GUI. Right now it is static and blurry, and adding markers/points of interest to it is way too unintuitive. People should be allowed to zoom in and out a higher resolution image, see different regions from the one they are currently in, and easily add markers, etc.
  • edited May 16
    Zxcv said:

Also, please improve the big world map GUI. Right now it is static and blurry, and adding markers/points of interest to it is way too unintuitive. People should be allowed to zoom in and out a higher resolution image, see different regions from the one they are currently in, and easily add markers, etc.

So apparently I am not the only one that experiances the low resolution map. I made a post on this once and everyone seemed confused by my claim.

+1 for better maps.

Edit: Wasn't my post, it was someone called Dargor.
  • KacerionKacerion Canada
    +1 The two panels are really well hidden for stats and guild informations etc. A simple highlight should do the job.

+1 for the karma protection again, simply change the color when it's on and off.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Noone can attach to "choose one"?? :smiley:
  • Cronus3166Cronus3166 United States
    For me, the current biggest UI issue is dealing with NPCs. I absolutely HATE trying to purchase things from them.

Let's not even get started with player ran vendors. The very idea of having to look at every item on the screen makes my eyes bleed.

I miss the ability to say, Vendor Buy, and then see a clean list of their wares. Where I could build a little shopping list and then purchase the items without the need to click on 80 things.

If I could add a second, it would be the bank box. That 3D box is weird.
  • Persistent UI. (save bag/ui location and size settings)
  • Sacha said:

The game not saving the UI state.
    Each time I open the game I have to block the chat window, open the backpack and put it in the right position, same thing for the god window, etc.
    Make all that UI settings persistent!

This
  • edited May 16

For me, the current biggest UI issue is dealing with NPCs. I absolutely HATE trying to purchase things from them.

Let's not even get started with player ran vendors. The very idea of having to look at every item on the screen makes my eyes bleed.

I miss the ability to say, Vendor Buy, and then see a clean list of their wares. Where I could build a little shopping list and then purchase the items without the need to click on 80 things.

Good point. I actually started a thread to discuss this a while ago. I also think this needs revision. The current system is very useful for quick purchases, so I propose it is kept as it is and polished. On top of that, however, it would be nice to implement a parallel system which offers a list view of all items on sale. That would facilitate the purchasing experience for players placing larger orders, and would make everyone happy.

• SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    Thanks for all of this, everyone. I'll put together a list and give it to the fellows :)