On exploiting during beta

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
I've had a flurry of questions lately about people using exploits. For the purposes of this post, let me define "exploit" as "a bug someone uses in order to do something we do not want to allow in the live game."

"Something" doesn't have to be to the user's advantage. There are plenty of things people do just to be annoying.

Okay. So, we're in beta. We WANT people to try and exploit things. Break things. Find the perfect combination of skill points that makes you effectively immortal. Spot the hole in the collision that makes you invulnerable. Someone actively looking for flaws in the system is not a bad person, they're a beta tester and we can't manage our planned schedule without them.

But we also want people to report those things as soon as they find them. Finding them and not reporting them is contrary to the spirit of the beta.

Furthermore, once those things are found and reported, _continuing to exploit isn't testing, it's just annoying_. It's childish and tedious for everyone else. Especially us. Our QA team is also our CS team, so every single email our Grim has to field about someone being a horse's ass is literally a period of time he's NOT spending on testing. If you are the cause of those reports, you are wasting our valuable time.

Therefore, if you've been warned to stop doing something by a CS employee, doing it again will be grounds for removal from the beta.

Let me repeat what I've said elsewhere: If you find a bug, you have 24 hours to test it, see if you can duplicate it, and report what you found. If you continue to use it after those 24 hours without getting in touch with us to let us know/ask how you can help, and I find out about it, you've missed the point of a beta and you will be suspended until we launch on Steam.

None of this is directed at 99% of you, by the way! I'm posting mainly to clarify our position. I have always found beta testers to be some of the best people going. This game is a bit complicated by the fact that people can buy access, but that doesn't make it less of a test or me less of a hardass about it.

Final note: We are constantly adding new tools to our design list. Please be patient with us and a clunky process in the meantime. Please send your ingame reports when you suspect exploiting, but shoot me an email at the same time until we have some more tools in place.

Of course, this is all complicated by LOA being a PVP game, and the ensuing drama. There is more than a little "I can't have lost, he must have been cheating" when it comes to combat bug reports. (That's why I prefer reading bug reports from people who tested the combat issue scientifically and with a consenting friend.) That's a different topic, though ;)

Comments

• edited May 2
    Hey Sanya, thanks for posting this.

By the way, your email address or contact@citadelstudios.net?
    Sanya said:

...shoot me an email at the same time until we have some more tools in place.

• its okay if its an exploit but hack is another issue
  • Good call(s)

:)
  • its okay if its an exploit but hack is another issue

The line between exploit and hack is not for us to decide imo - report and treat them the same.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    Blergh said:

its okay if its an exploit but hack is another issue

The line between exploit and hack is not for us to decide imo - report and treat them the same.
    That "Line" between hacking and using an exploit is very VERY small once you start doing this "Exploit" multiple times. Depending on that "Exploit". so someone morphing through your walls to kill you isn't a hack but doing it over and over and over to someone: Might as well be hacking.

The point of the OP is to clear this issue up. Try and test this bug/exploit and report it once you've figured out how to activate said bug: stop using said bug. Done. But that 1% of douche baggery are those ones who use said bugs to manipulate KdR or steal from people's homes or just to survive(Running through homes or tables in people's yards)((No clipping)).
  • Nice. Well put. Are you all happy its not 99% of us? Cause i am.
  • KacerionKacerion Canada
    Good call.
  • Jubbin said:

Blergh said:

That "Line" between hacking and using an exploit is very VERY small once you start doing this "Exploit" multiple times. Depending on that "Exploit". so someone morphing through your walls to kill you isn't a hack but doing it over and over and over to someone: Might as well be hacking.

I second this message.
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    Veronica said:

Hey Sanya, thanks for posting this.

By the way, your email address or contact@citadelstudios.net?

Sanya said:

...shoot me an email at the same time until we have some more tools in place.

sweathers@citadelstudios.net

:D
  • TalizzarTalizzar Colorado
    Wouldn't hacking be using tools outside of game mechanics to change an outcome, discover resources, scripting combos or things that in game would never be possible. Changing client or server packets to effect an outcome?