Is harvesting going to be updated before wipe?

Seeing the updated roadmap and realizing how soon Aria is going to be going live has made me concerned about the current state of crafting. Obviously there's a lot WIP about it now and that's understandable, coals not having a use etc., but the big thing that worries me in a post-wipe game is the easy-mode harvesting.

I'm talking about the cave in Helm, and the cotton field in Eldeir here. I was really sad to find out just how braindead the cave in Helm made smithing to the point where it made me lose interest in crafting in the beta -- I really liked exploring for ores and bringing back a huge haul from many different areas, and this just completely ruins that.

I realize that there's only iron and copper in there so obviously for end-game you'll have to go out and actually find your obsidian, but this doesn't excuse the fact that the cave and cotton field takes what should be a really interesting journey of leveling up a crafting skill and just boils it down to the most mindless grind I've ever seen. GM crafting when the game goes live should be something someone can be proud of.

On a related note another thing that basically made me quit mining/smithing (and lead to the discovering of the not-just-easy-mode-but-actually-mandatory newbie miner cave) is the weight stacking bug fix. If Helm didn't dissuade exploration-mining, this bug fix 100% kills it. I really, really hope item weights are given a pass before launch as well. Not just materials but coin weight also.

Comments

• On a related note another thing that basically made me quit mining/smithing (and lead to the discovering of the not-just-easy-mode-but-actually-mandatory newbie miner cave) is the weight stacking bug fix. If Helm didn't dissuade exploration-mining, this bug fix 100% kills it. I really, really hope item weights are given a pass before launch as well. Not just materials but coin weight also.

another solution to the wieght bug would be to introduce pack horses/animals that way you could move more heavy items.

• Yeah good point. More ressources spread in the world map. For example, different types of coton, ore etc
  • BizynatchBizynatch United States
    I agree with the OP, it should be more time consuming to gather cotton, minerals, etc... I’d hope that was just implemented to help people along with figuring out how things work or to let people spend less time to experience the more fun aspect of the game during this closed beta. Only time will tell... or an admin.
  • gwarthamgwartham Devils of Kimone
    And then at the same time with the current crafting system some things are just terribly BROKEN. Take carpentry for example. At like 80 skill your basically crafting ash warbows for skill. It takes forever to get a backback full of ash, like 1k wood. Then after that you end up converting it to a measly 200 boards, which give you 20 chances to make a bow, and out of all that you will be lucky to gain like .3, then its back to chopping wood again.
  • waygonewaygone Alaska
    @gwartham
    Craft wooden standing torch at 82 I think. Then about 90 start crafting barrels to gm. Torches require 6 wooden boards and barrels 8. ALOT less resources than crafting ash bows and regular wood is way easier to get.
  • Well, I definitely don't want gathering to be like it was in WoW or other MMOs where it's all scattered about, forcing players to engage in combat with random trash mobs. One thing that was unique about UO, and LoA, is having full blown crafting characters. Some people don't want to fight constantly while gathering. I think should remain concentrated and abundant in mines. Scattering it into tiny separate nodes just makes the game feel more "theme park" like rather than sandbox. Mining/Lumberjacking have never been the funnest things to do in games like this, it takes time and is one of the reasons crafters will be valuable. Not a lot of people wanted to chip away rocks in a mine for hours on in.

I think it should come down to PvP. Precious mines should be unprotected, like Misty Caverns. Guilds can engage in PvP to own, control and harvest these mines. Same for other resources. We need more craftables and more incentive. Maybe there could be valuable mines in the depths of dungeons in the end game, forcing guilds to clear the path for the guild crafters to harvest, that could make things exciting.

I for one don't mind the occasional boring mining/lumberjacking expedition, sometimes a break from the intensity of getting jumped by PKers every 30 minutes is refreshing. But that's just me.

As for cotton fields, I think they should take more time to respawn, and have more valuable fields in unprotected fields as well to encourage end-game PvP.
  • A farming system allowing players to plant their own cotton seeds in their house front yards would be nice.

I agree with all the suggestions above. Of course, all this need to be complemented by a safe trading system! Right now bank-sitting commerce between players is inexistent due to the lack of safe trading.
  • In UO the mines were unprotected, if you where a struggling miner, you better up your hide skill!!! Now, a mine is a mine, I don't want to have my squishy crafter having to run around and getting killed by low lvl mobs just for some ore. The mining needs to stay as is, maybe more rare ores spread around the map. Mining and blacksmithing was a royal pain in the butt in UO. especially trying to get to GM Smith. Back in second age that meant something, then the new silly imbued weps and such ruined that.
    As the cotton fields, yes they spawn too fast, maybe they will reduce the spawn rate.
  • The mobs are not that deadly in the world. All can be kited. Its the player killers to be weary of.
  • Or do a miner and a bs, with just enough skill to defend yourself. Without classes you can do that.
  • Dcdoc45 said:

In UO the mines were unprotected, if you where a struggling miner, you better up your hide skill!!! Now, a mine is a mine, I don't want to have my squishy crafter having to run around and getting killed by low lvl mobs just for some ore. The mining needs to stay as is, maybe more rare ores spread around the map.

I agree. But instead of rare ores spawning randomly, I think it should be small unprotected mines, or mines in hard dungeons with an abundance of rare ores. I'm super resistant to the idea of randomly scattered, lone shiny nodes that you have to bounce around like a pinball machine to find. Maybe here and there as a lucky find, but not as a primary way of acquiring rare ores.
    DrDoo said:

The mobs are not that deadly in the world. All can be kited. Its the player killers to be weary of.

DrDoo said:

Or do a miner and a bs, with just enough skill to defend yourself. Without classes you can do that.

I mean yeah, but once again I just feel like that is kind of forcing crafters to be adventurers, and will probably lead to a set, predetermined path of mining like theme park MMOs. (Start outside eldeir, run around gather, then go to Black forest, run around, fight, gather, then go somewhere else, run around, fight gather etc.)

Having dedicated mines with certain ores and no mobs gives you a choice of where you want to go so you can measure the risk vs reward of whatever mine has, and it allows a crafting character to be just that, a crafting character. Being able to be whatever you want, rather than forcing a crafter to get certain skills just to avoid annoying trash mobs while gathering random nodes scattered around. It comes off as too WoWish to follow that model. Those kinds of MMOs allow you to pick up gathering skills/crafting skills at no penalty to your adventuring/fighting skills, so they essentially merged grinding trash with gathering/crafting, making it all seem like the exact same thing. Crafting and questing became one simultaneous grind, and I don't like that idea. Making a character with half crafting/half fighting skills can work, I've done it, but by the time you are GM'ed you just have a half assed crafter and a half assed PVE fighter incapable of taking on PKers that are worth their salt. So that style of gathering really doesn't mesh too well with this model of MMO, in my opinion.

Besides, mines are something that actually exist, miners IRL don't run around in grassy plains looking for random shiny nodes. (I know this game has magic and isn't aiming 100% for realism, but still.) Sure it can be boring, but if you want exciting, you make a fighter/PvPer and go make your living killing stuff. The beauty is you don't have to do anything in a sandbox MMO if you don't want to, where as wow-like MMOs basically make you follow a pre-made template, I'm highly resistant to that.

When I find myself bored to tears with crafting/mining I just put on a movie or something, knowing I can chill for a while and do something else and still making progress in the game. That's something I think was great about UO and is great about LoA. We just need better reasons to put up with the grind, rather than changing the system all together.

Sorry for the book. :tired_face: