Updated Road Map!

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
http://www.legendsofaria.com/the-updated-road-map-is-here/

We're still tweaking the ACTUAL roadmap page (http://www.legendsofaria.com/road-to-beta/) so don't expect that text to be final until tomorrow. But I didn't want to hold the post back any longer!

What do you think?

Comments

• Wait I'm confused. So in July you will wipe the servers and give us a one-week head start. But then you're not actually going to Steam until Autumn? But if people happen to search and find LoA, they can still join.

Wouldn't having a bunch of players well established for several months be off-putting to people who hadn't heard of the game before Steam?

I had thought the one week head start would be the week before the Steam launch.
  • P.S. Very excited to start playing for "realsies" in July! :)
  • This is just a release date, wheres the road-map? What are the priorities of the developers at this time? What are they working on? What will they be working on?
  • Sanya this roadmap is a bit poor, just some information even not certain
    I'm a bit confused about the game design, because still now i dun know the ideas for the final version, what u think to implement of change (not little things, the big plan).
    The previous roadmap had a side-text explaining the contents in each step this one is just for orientation...

Personally, and really personally, im sad about july wipe because normally i go on holidays that eriod and my headstart will be trashed probably :(
  • chrisx9chrisx9 christian@elfers.eu
    I like it! And i can understand the concern regarding the one-week-headstart during the holidays seasons. If there is no real conncetion between the one-week (july) and steam launch (autumn), why not move wipe to june or to autumn? cheers, chris
  • Sir MurphySir Murphy Crossroads
    I feel like a staggered launch is a terrible idea. I would rather wait for Autumn than have steam release that far from the final wipe. Hardcore followers will be playing long before steam even has a chance to get in on it?
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    There will be more detail on what we're doing as soon as Miphon/Jeffrey finishes the plan. He's still sorting out which bits go where.

I'm not helping, either, I keep dumping stuff on him. "What about this tool? I need this thing. If you want me to do this I have to have that. Hey, Jeffrey, this thing is broken, can you do it?"

Thank goodness we have an ocean between us, or I'd get slapped.

Why wipe in July when we won't be on Steam until autumn? Because we're going to need the time to balance properly and tune. There's a lot of stuff that simply won't be apparent without critical mass. We'll be able to hack in the broad outlines of balance during the month of June, but we only get one shot at a Steam launch. There is no chance it will be ready after just a month of testing. And there will be some things that only come up after the world has really been rolling for awhile, as in, post wipe.

And also, because we need there to be a bustling world before someone who is totally unfamiliar with sandbox gaming logs in.

Picture this. Someone whose only gaming experience is something like a theme park MMO or a shooter logs in. The first thing he does is look for the quest objectives _that don't exist_. He probably thinks that because he picked "archer" on the creation screen, he's doomed to play an archer forever or reroll.

If it's seven days after we opened the doors, he's going to see a horde of people further along than him, but meh. If it's a few months after we opened the doors, he'll be bumbling along and then one of you will gallop by with a flock of wyverns. Someone will give him a piece of armor they made just for the hell of it. He'll walk by a huge house with a crowd of people buying from a merchant. And okay, yes, he'll probably die horribly after wandering into a red zone without paying attention. But it'll be a world, one he can be a part of.
    We saw this at PAX. People would be mildly interested and then they'd see one of YOU, all decked out and awesome looking, and just like that, they were hooked.
  • chrisx9chrisx9 christian@elfers.eu
    Ok, understood! (and fully agree). Does this mean that we can play in the final world from sometime in july to steam release in autumn?
  • Sir MurphySir Murphy Crossroads
    edited April 24
    I understand you want it to be ready when it launches. No kidding. But why not just launch all at once properly when it is ready? The more dispersed the population is, the less staying power it will have. You can see this effect in other games and other launches of said games. You want the biggest critical mass you can get in the smallest time frame in order to have a population that will both attract more hype and hold itself together the longest. By having essentially two launches, you are doing the opposite of that. You are splitting the impact of launch in half.
    It's a risk, Sir Murphy, but it's one we have to take. The potential boost from Steam is big, but most of them will know nothing about this game and very little about what a sandbox even means. Retaining that audience is going to be an uphill climb under the best of circumstances. Whereas the people who are already here, and people brought in by players who are already here, are in theory going to be understanding and work with us during the summer to get the game ready for Steam. In return for all that help (and for making this game possible AT ALL - please note, we have no funding source besides players buying into the vision), the early adopters need something tangible, and that something is time.
    Chris: Yep, but more accurately, from sometime in July until the game closes down, which I hope will be never :)
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    +1
    As others said, it's a bit laconic, but at least I'm happy to see admin tools mentioned :)
  • edited April 24
    Nice to hear about what to expect in the coming months! Thank you for the post, Citadel!
    I will fill in the details as I get them, I promise.
  • The GZAThe GZA Minnesota
    Thought it would have been smarter to introduce some new fixes before leaping toward a launch. There's still quite a lot of things that need to be fixed. I'd say run it with a patch before wiping it at least. Let's get this crispy before you hit Steam. Marketing aside, this game will bring the crowd with game quality, not with visuals and game materials. Either way I hope to see this game grow, but let's not get the horse in front of the carriage.

My two cents.
  • really unfortunate to see july, as i'll be on vacation with my family then as well. not only will i miss it probably, but i wont be able to take off any time when it launches.
    The GZA said:

Thought it would have been smarter to introduce some new fixes before leaping toward a launch. There's still quite a lot of things that need to be fixed. I'd say run it with a patch before wiping it at least. Let's get this crispy before you hit Steam. Marketing aside, this game will bring the crowd with game quality, not with visuals and game materials. Either way I hope to see this game grow, but let's not get the horse in front of the carriage.

My two cents.

I must admit I'm confused. I said in the post that there would be several patches before any of this happened. And while I didn't say so explicitly, I've never done a beta where we didn't patch multiple times over the course of the process in response to feedback and new bug reports.

You may be thinking of our our old model, which was "save up fixes and do a major build once every few months. Now we'll be patching things as we get them - for example, there are three or four fixes that are ready today, so we'll probably be putting them in today, as opposed to waiting for weeks. The idea is that you'll all see regular, incremental progress.
  • Glad to hear that you guys will be opening up modding tools before STEAM launch though I hope it will be sooner rather than later

Glad to hear that you guys will be opening up modding tools before STEAM launch though I hope it will be sooner rather than later

Well, let me manage your expectations right into the ground - it won't be a free for all, because even after another pass they won't be "total GUI" or even close. You'll need technical expertise.

Sorry, I'm kinda the dream crusher at this stage of development.
  • VeronicaVeronica AriaHub.org
    edited April 25
    I like what I know of the plan so far!

I think the new way you have set up the road map, the schedule that is, is well thought out and still gives you a little flexibility when it comes to Steam launch (which will probably be much needed!).

I understand that you need a lot of feedback still but I think that the CS team has really listened to the community and used our feedback to improve the game, it shows!

There's a lot of guilds that need to get their butts back in game and help test now more than ever. But I think a lot of them are "waiting" on stuff that will let them play/progress instead of focusing on testing. *sigh*

How does the CS team plan to address that (besides the obvious, you're inviting more testers through free trial keys I know)? I have heard a lot of players say they want more drops (especially from dungeon monsters), dungeon monsters now do a ridiculous amount of spell damage, etc.

Can you give us a short list of 'the big things' we can help focus our testing on?

Thanks for all the hard work (to you and the team)!
    Sanya said:

Well, let me manage your expectations right into the ground - it won't be a free for all, because even after another pass they won't be "total GUI" or even close. You'll need technical expertise.

3 years of waiting has given us time to get some expertise :smiley:
    Anything will be most welcome

• NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    Sounds good and I totally understand having the world filled prior to Steam release. One recommendation is doing away with "one week Steam headstart" and just saying "one week headstart" unless Miphon really thinks a week later it's gonna hit Steam, there's no reason to advertise as such.
  • Hello, hi~ Apologies in advance for huge wall of text.

I've been eyeing the development and community of this game for a while from afar; the 'afar' largely because I'm really excited for the potential of everything here, but gosh, I've also contributed to others' exciting projects in the past just to see them never reach the light of day and there be burn scars, so I've been trying not to stick my face in the fire again. But this update on the roadmap has me finally out of the shadows and really interested in the direction things are heading. (That said, please forgive me if I yammer on about things that are obvious to people who've really been in the thick of it all longer! I may not have the most solid idea of where things are at from just pressing my face against the window outside.)

A group of friends and I have been looking for a sick as heck sandbox game which would support private servers to potentially allow for what could be called 'persistent world roleplay', where for the average player, everything would be in character (save for the occasional need for ooc chatter and such). What characters do would directly impact themselves, their builds or items, and the world which could be modified by GMs (or DMs even) of said server, if not the characters themselves. In addition, there would be the potential for making structures and modifying the environment to create that world for the shared story to unfold, potential for DM 'possession' of npcs to talk through, and so on. So while it might be less 'playing the game as a game' the way one might often play an mmo with all the meta, it would definitely be 'interacting with the world as a world'. Which hopefully, in theory, would end up having the freedom of a tabletop game insofar as story and world creation, while letting players be able to access characters outside 'sessions' to just go about, say, exploring on their own, or doing research, or hunting for the group, meeting other people or encountering the server GMs disguised as npcs, etc.

I keep hoping Legends of Aria might be able to allow this with their tools and mods for private servers, and so far nothing has reached a hard stop from my discerning on why it wouldn't. Unless someone wants to crush my dreams, which is fine (gosh, please tell me now.)

But now on to why I'm actually rambling in this topic. The new roadmap makes me really curious about what these changes mean for the potential of being able to have and host private servers with them mod tools. Before I was just being a creeper and either waiting for the Steam launch, or any new info where it was previously mentioned that these server tools would be out alongside that release, but now ... now it seems they might be running around before that. And I'm guessing anyone getting them would have their servers wiped with the other servers, or...? Honestly, that's not super important and would make sense for all the updates that would likely happen to the client.

My question is ... is it known what the criteria would be for getting one's hands on the ability to make and host private servers on LoA? Is it more of a 'technical know-how' bar, or will it be something of an application process, where various outside factors are weighed in as to who will be able to get their hands on these? And if it's something of the latter, would they be available without those restrictions on the 'true launch' in Fall, or will there always be something like that in place?

... because, man. If there is any hope of some new-coming rando like me or one of my friends getting our hands on those private server tools at some point in the future to see if our mad idea is possible, or even just what can be done with said tools, I'm gonna be slapping down so much support.
  • The GZAThe GZA Minnesota
    Sanya said:

The GZA said:

My two cents.

I must admit I'm confused. I said in the post that there would be several patches before any of this happened. And while I didn't say so explicitly, I've never done a beta where we didn't patch multiple times over the course of the process in response to feedback and new bug reports.

You may be thinking of our our old model, which was "save up fixes and do a major build once every few months. Now we'll be patching things as we get them - for example, there are three or four fixes that are ready today, so we'll probably be putting them in today, as opposed to waiting for weeks. The idea is that you'll all see regular, incremental progress.
    I must have glazed over it, but hearing this is great news. Lets crank out some bug reports!
    @Dasair your description matches exactly what I plan to do on my server. So welcome, and good news, that should be possible with LoA.
    As to how to get the tools and "be an admin":
    - The plan as always been that the possibility will be there for everybody on steam launch.
    - Also there has been talk lately that they may open the option of admin pledges before that, if they get the tools ready. So stay alert.
    The trammel will be more of a technical know-how and maybe chance to get the hardware needed for your planned world (big ones will surely require hosted server with enough RAM and cpu).
  • As someone who is migrating here from Neverwinter Nights private servers, I can attest to the overwhelming feeling of joining a new sandbox/persistent world with little to no guidance. Giving the hardcore players a chance to hop in and establish themselves and their factions will invariably be a massive boon to the following pushes after release.

The game and story of a persistent world is just as much developed by the players as it is the game masters and/or developers.
  • @Sacha Eyyy, thanks for the welcome, and the confirmation!

I'm glad it's a 'know how' wall, to be honest, because anything not known can be learned, and there really isn't any downside to learning something like that imo. And having 'the power' to host such a server insofar as hardware was more or less expected. I too came from NWN private persistent worlds from a while back; there was another thread that mentioned something about the CoPaP servers, which were basically different worlds connected to each other like different material planes are connected in D&D through Sigil. And that's where I got the love of persistent rp servers from. Something with that degree of sandbox ability and freedom of creation was a thing I'd been hoping to find again ever since.

So gosh, knowing that could totally be possible and that others are hoping to make persistent rp worlds of their own makes me super excited. *u*
  • Now that we have a road map to early access - will there be new road maps after that?

I'm thinking primarily of a feature road map, with things like necromancer, bard, thief and others... new or expanded dungeons and bosses, new loot, vanity paper doll to change appearance without losing stats, etc etc...

I've been enjoying the game and I am very excited about the final wipe. I'll try to take full advantage of my head start. The quality of the game including look and feel has progressed hugely. I hope that some other signs of quality, such the appearance of certain mobs (*cough* wyvern *cough*) can be updated.

Road maps with things like these really give players confidence that their outstanding issues or desires haven't been forgotten and, in fact, are in sight!
  • beater07beater07 America
    I think instead of hoping for a road map of all that additional stuff you mentioned.... Just hope the dates on the current road map actually succeed this time.