Game Release Suggestion

Hi,

I've been with you guys since pre-alpha and just wanted to throw my opinion out here. I think this game is great and will have a successful launch on steam. With that being said, this is what I think you should do. I have witnessed you guys change everything time and time again. While I see this as being counter productive, you have also developed lots of new content. Overall, people that play this sort of game really like content above all. Throw some bosses in those dungeons, bring back some of the old content like necro, implement a trade system, and release the game on steam as an early access beta game. I don't know why you decided to cut out some of the old content. A lot of the old mobs, and the weapons and armor were pretty cool. I feel like you've reached a point of indecisiveness, in which you are throwing out some really good ideas that you have already previously implemented. I know you are trying to fix bugs and balance the game still, but I feel like you are at a point where you need a larger audience. I think this might help keep you from back tracking so much.

Comments

• I think they should leave out map regions for now and focus on improving game play. You can always pump out more content and areas after Steam release, but the core of the game is more important. People will be more forgiving on Steam release if you are lacking on content than if the game play needs serious fixing.
  • Getting stuck all the time, everywhere, even when you teleport you sometimes teleport yourself into stuckness. I can't see this game being released any time soon.
    How things end up in your backpack, how arrows are close to invisible, how it is a huge challange to get your target right and shift from targeting yourself, to the monster, to your friend and accidentl fireballing yourself.

Great game and all, but very un-polished at the moment, so I agree with Keldar about focusing less on content and more on bugs, quality of life and just getting things more smooth.
  • Keldar said:

I think they should leave out map regions for now and focus on improving game play. You can always pump out more content and areas after Steam release, but the core of the game is more important. People will be more forgiving on Steam release if you are lacking on content than if the game play needs serious fixing.

What gameplay problems are you talking about? I really haven't experienced any major gameplay issues in Beta. Most of the people I talk to agree that more content would be best. They will continue to create new issues for themselves if they continue on this path example..adding staves, removing staves, adding quest, removing quest, adding necro, removing necro. A lot of back tracking and going in circles. They need opinions of larger crowds at this point.
  • Fencce said:

Getting stuck all the time, everywhere, even when you teleport you sometimes teleport yourself into stuckness. I can't see this game being released any time soon.
    How things end up in your backpack, how arrows are close to invisible, how it is a huge challange to get your target right and shift from targeting yourself, to the monster, to your friend and accidentl fireballing yourself.

Great game and all, but very un-polished at the moment, so I agree with Keldar about focusing less on content and more on bugs, quality of life and just getting things more smooth.

I am talking about a Steam Early Access Beta release, not a full release. I am not saying that the game is finished lol. Getting stuck is annoying I agree, it doesn't bother me so much because I avoid it by simply understanding how it's happening. There are some flaws with targeting, but it's definitely not a difficult fix, or a deal breaker for an early access steam beta.
  • Gameplay is much more important than content for me... If the gameplay is bad usually people spend very little time playing the game, leave and never come back.
  • waygonewaygone Alaska
    Agreed..
    Gameplay needs much improvement before Steam. Aside from targeting, getting stuck(already mentioned), pets are pretty whacked out. They stop attacking for no reason if getting hit by more than one mob and sometimes run back to you. If you tell them to attack another mob, or the same mob they are already attacking, they will run back to you. Guard doesn't work.
    Not sure if it's intended, but pets that cast spells somehow forget how after being tamed. To me they should be slightly weaker, but still be able to cast some lower spells with higher more powerful spells as they are trained up.
    Sorry, didn't mean to run off on a tangent and derail the thread.
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    Many of the systems had to be redone to be more maintainable in the long run, this includes the underlying system that boss abilities run on. It's not easy implementing a new boss, they have to drop something worth it while not being too easy to farm.

This is just an example but a lot of the stuff it looks like we are indecisive about comes down to time and old systems are not directly compatible with new.

Also, last I checked pet guard works fine. The one being guarded must take damage for the pet to react, can you confirm you took damage while being guarded and the pet did not react?
  • waygonewaygone Alaska
    @Kade
    Thanks for the reply. I will test it later on single mob and see. Most of the time in corruption dungeon it's a case of multiple mobs agroing. Glad to hear you are aware of the pets amnesia issue.
  • Kade said:

Many of the systems had to be redone to be more maintainable in the long run, this includes the underlying system that boss abilities run on. It's not easy implementing a new boss, they have to drop something worth it while not being too easy to farm.

This is just an example but a lot of the stuff it looks like we are indecisive about comes down to time and old systems are not directly compatible with new.

Also, last I checked pet guard works fine. The one being guarded must take damage for the pet to react, can you confirm you took damage while being guarded and the pet did not react?

I just tested that a couple times last night, I had 4 great harts and my pets didn't attack back when I got attacked. Need more testing obviously but doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment.
  • waygonewaygone Alaska
    With the way mobs are stacking in corruption, fighting mobs one at a time is difficult at best. Even the plain old imps at dungeon entrance can BLAST you to hell in seconds with the OP explosion spell(delayed damage)
    Wish my wyvern had that :smile:
  • RelsanctRelsanct Costa Rica
    @Kade Pet Guarding does not work for me either. Additionally pets should attack anything attacking the player, instead of waiting for them to damage the player.
  • gwarthamgwartham Devils of Kimone
    Joseph228 said:

Keldar said:

I think they should leave out map regions for now and focus on improving game play. You can always pump out more content and areas after Steam release, but the core of the game is more important. People will be more forgiving on Steam release if you are lacking on content than if the game play needs serious fixing.

What gameplay problems are you talking about? I really haven't experienced any major gameplay issues in Beta. Most of the people I talk to agree that more content would be best. They will continue to create new issues for themselves if they continue on this path example..adding staves, removing staves, adding quest, removing quest, adding necro, removing necro. A lot of back tracking and going in circles. They need opinions of larger crowds at this point.
    Lets see completely broken crafting system, a multitude of bugs in PvP, no drop gear, those are just off the top of my head, and quite frankly I would be completely shocked if they can even get those 3 things fixed before steam release.
  • gwartham said:

Lets see completely broken crafting system, a multitude of bugs in PvP, no drop gear, those are just off the top of my head, and quite frankly I would be completely shocked if they can even get those 3 things fixed before steam release.

Your skill in pessimism has increased by 0.1%. It is now 100.0%.
  • LoULoU Legends of Ultima
    We fixed it - there were certain checks in the way.
  • gwarthamgwartham Devils of Kimone
    Zxcv said:

gwartham said:

Your skill in pessimism has increased by 0.1%. It is now 100.0%.
    No, just a realist.

All 3 of those issues are not just some small things that need a quick touch up by a coder and they are fixed/finished.

One of the things I always respected about Citadel was the no rush to get this thing into early access, because they know how important that initial steam release will be for the future of the game. This July roadmap feels a bit rushed tho.

Remember it was just a few weeks ago we were playing in a Albion Online type crafting system with tiers and stuff. A lot of us felt that this was a terrible way to make a "UO" style game, and obviously the devs realized it too. But totally overhauling and revamping your entire system isn't a easy simple task, as we have seen, and without the drops in the game after several weeks now the playerbase has dwindled.

Remember this is a game made by a very small dev team. Things with small teams take time. I'm not sayinng it cant be done, but I am saying they must be done before steam release or this game gets torn to shreds on the reviews.