New(bie) player questions

RahelRahel Padova
edited April 16 in New Player Nook
ENG
Hello everybody :D
I am new in this AMAZING game witch pleases me a lot... But as all the newbies, i have a lot of questions to ask you. Can someone help me?

Ping: in a lot of areas my game lags a lot (100-150 ms, 300 sometimes), sometimes it crashes: yesterday My poor character died 2 times this way while killing lich lords. About my internet: i have got a ftts, 78 mbps download and 15-20-30 ping. I play from italy. Is it normal?

Graphics: game graphic are too large for my screen and i can't see all the buttons, especially in the character creation panel. I can't solve this problem :( help me please!

About my character:
I am building an Archer-Tamer with this skills:
100 archery
90 healing
100 taming
100 lore
100 beastmastery
60 manifestation
50 vigor
Any suggestions? What You think about it?

Comments

• SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    >Ping: in a lot of areas my game lags a lot....
    We are still in beta, and the server is in USA, while you are in Italy.
    Then tere are areas with more lag (black forest) though it has been reduced.
    And they are always doing some performance improvements.

>Graphics: game graphic are too large for my screen and i can't see all the buttons
    Yes, a bug that needs to be fixed.
  • Rahel said:

Hello everybody :D
    I am new in this AMAZING game witch pleases me a lot... But as all the newbies, i have a lot of questions to ask you. Can someone help me?

About my character:
    I am building an Archer-Tamer with this skills:
    100 archery
    90 healing
    100 taming
    100 lore
    100 beastmastery
    60 manifestation
    50 vigor
    Any suggestions? What You think about it?

First, welcome to the game - everybody likes newbies (some like to help, and others like to kill).

I am a tamer as well, and most of your skills are what I have as well.

100 Animal Taming
    100 Beastmastery
    100 Animal Lore (currently not needed, but get it anyway)

That leaves you with 300, and so many players ask me what I'm doing with those 300.

I also have 100 Healing, which isn't much difference from 90.

You only need 80 Healing and 80 Lore to resurrect your pet with bandages.

Vigor helps your damage on the bow, and also the healing bonus with bandages, you also need 80 to be able to resurrect a player (if that's important to you).

Manifestation, some say that you need at least 65 to be able to cast Resurrect, you probably need it higher but you need to have enough mana to cast it as well, and being an Archer you might not have much INT in your stats (something which you haven't mentioned).

When you eventually get GM Taming/Beastmastery you will quickly realise that you don't even really need any combat skills unless you want to gank someone, in which case using 300 skill points for pets isn't really the best thing to do.

Personally, you should look into Abilities as well, lots of players previously had 20 Heavy Armour just so they could have the Vanguard I Ability which might save your life a few times, or not?

Your build looks solid, but I would tweak it slightly to make use of Manifestation properly. Slightly lower Animal Lore and Healing, and increase Manifestation. You could even decrease Archery to increase Vigor and see which gives your weapon more damage.

Hope this helps, and gives you something to think about - I am against sharing builds because your character should be unique to you, and you should get a good unique "I made this all by myself" feeling whilst playing it. You will have a much happier time.
  • VeronicaVeronica AriaHub.org
    Zaheen said:

I am against sharing builds because your character should be unique to you, and you should get a good unique "I made this all by myself" feeling whilst playing it. You will have a much happier time.

Good advice!

I agree to disagree about sharing builds, however. Some players, especially new players who have never played UO, have no clue how to build an effective build. And I wouldn't recommend blindly copying someone else's build if that's not exactly what you want to play, it's often helpful to have other builds to compare your own to and to understand why other players build their characters the way they do. Especially if you are struggling, even more so in the case of PVP, it can help a lot to get advice on your build.

However, I would never share all of my characters builds publicly, I like to mix it up -- I have characters that built for performance/kicking butt and then I have characters that are built differently because I want them to be 'my own'. So I get where you are coming from there.

Some of the best advice you can give a new player, in my opinion, is that they should play a character that sounds good and fun to them, otherwise they may not enjoy the game that much or reach their full potential with that character if it simply doesn't interest them. That's good advice for many games not just LOA. :)
  • Yeah I didn't mean I wouldn't ever share a build, I meant it from the perspective that the person asking for it might have a different play style to me/the person sharing the build and it might not suit them at all.