Unofficial LOA Handbook + Interactive Map

edited July 22 in New Player Nook
My interactive map has a new home, along with the Player Handbook:
https://loahub.com/

Update July 22, 2018:
- ditched WordPress, installed WikiPedia. See my reply for more.
- a new map is nearly finished though I'm trying to catch up on updating the Handbook presently, so I'll only promise to have the new map up for everyone before 'headstart' begins (sooner is very likely).

Update June 15, 2018:
- new domain
- new site design
- massive update to the player handbook
- started a LOA steam group because I couldn't find an existing, public one

Comments

• SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Nice work!
  • edited March 28
    Thanks, Sacha!

Just added marker color variations and a couple more marker groups.

Edit: and thanks for the sticky! <3
    Great. It would be cool if you could color the name of each category to match the color of the markers, so it will be easier to tell what kind of marker each one is.
  • Color dots added next to the names on the legend. :)
    +1
  • BijABijA Sweden
    Looks intresting, thinkin of adding all spawns to it? and wan´t the community to give tips of where to set pins?
  • edited April 1
    BijA said:

Looks intresting, thinkin of adding all spawns to it? and wan´t the community to give tips of where to set pins?

No, I'm not adding spawns that consist of one group, like half a dozen mobs and nothing more -- there are numerous small groups of ork, goblin and cultist scattered around the map that I just don't feel are worth marking because that is not a group grind spot and it is not very efficient even for a solo player (especially for those who can AoE damage).

That said, I am in the process of adding all of the group grinding spots that I know of and it will be up later today. I've also used this out-dated map and traveled to every spot marked on that map and verified whether there was something there or not that I could add to the map. (I have verification directly from a dev that that map is out-dated, so it's not just some players opinions against another group of players opinion if it's out-dated/incorrect).

I made a copy of this map and put an X through all the spots that either didn't have anything or only had one small group of mobs which I won't be including on my map: https://i.imgur.com/xkYUYQc.png, so we can finally let that map die in peace - RIP.

The pins that I have put on the map are, for most part, very accurate as far as coordinates go. Though if you find a mistake I'd appreciate any suggested corrections.

If any thinks something should be added, just mention it and I'll either add to the map or explain why I might not want to include it.
  • edited April 1
    There's still a few spots in Black Forest that I am verifying as I typed this last post, but everything else has been double checked and verified from the old map.

Also, I X'ed out the 10-15 spots on the map that were close to Valus and Eldeir, though I assume those were supposed to be the low level cemeteries since I found nothing else in the area. I WILL be including the cemeteries on my map, even though I X'ed them out on the map because I didn't find anything else - it was just my process of elimination.
  • The map update is live now. There were a couple spots in Black Forest that are no longer, as well.
  • BijABijA Sweden
    edited April 2
    Really good work! is there any way to make it easier to see pins that are closeby? The 2 on the dread island and at the orc spawn seems rly hard to look at. You can if you zoom but this coud be a problem in the future still, maby allways put them abit to the left/right of the other marker and have the intended target between the both markers? (ofcurse tightly together)
  • Awesome!
  • BijA said:

Really good work! is there any way to make it easier to see pins that are closeby? The 2 on the dread island and at the orc spawn seems rly hard to look at. You can if you zoom but this coud be a problem in the future still, maby allways put them abit to the left/right of the other marker and have the intended target between the both markers? (ofcurse tightly together)

I hear what you saying, the thing is with stuff like the Dread and Corruption dungeon marker, they both point to the same place. The idea is that users will toggle the layers to see what they do and do not want to see. This is only tricky because the Dread is INSIDE the dungeon, so both markers need to point to the same place.

While I'm sure I can work out a better solution in the future, for now users just have to toggle layers off and on for clarity.

I'll definitely keep this in mind when it comes time to add more design elements to the map.
  • edited April 5
    All of the mine resources on the map has been updated with the recent patch changes.
  • Thanks for the map tool! I'll give it a whirl after the required break between gaming sessions called work.
  • Sanya, you should make this post a sticky...
  • Sanya, you should make this post a sticky...

I think it's already sticky as an announcement, I guess that's how they sticky posts here. But I thank you for the vote nonetheless! :blush:
  • Love the map. question regarding the monsters/dungeons. What does the "level" in those mean?
  • edited April 10
    grooby said:

Love the map. question regarding the monsters/dungeons. What does the "level" in those mean?

The skill level you want to be at to have effective skill gains, is really what it's there for.

You could also use it as a very general estimate of how challenging the NPC's will be for you though better/worse gear and having (or not having, in the case of dungeons) group partners may skew your rate of challenge quite a bit.
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    I spent all four days at PAX telling players if they really wanted to know more about the game, they needed to check out the Unofficial Player Handbook and Veronica's map.
  • Sanya said:

I spent all four days at PAX telling players if they really wanted to know more about the game, they needed to check out the Unofficial Player Handbook and Veronica's map.

Aww, thank you! <3

This has been one of the best communities and games I've had the pleasure in being creative with, so I definitely plan to stick around! In fact, Hook and I have a new member in our creative team and we plan to launch another Legends of Aria project soon. :)

Along with many others, I am so excited, for the game, the community, the CS team, all of it!
  • Veronica said:

grooby said:

Love the map. question regarding the monsters/dungeons. What does the "level" in those mean?

The skill level you want to be at to have effective skill gains, is really what it's there for.

You could also use it as a very general estimate of how challenging the NPC's will be for you though better/worse gear and having (or not having, in the case of dungeons) group partners may skew your rate of challenge quite a bit.
    so Bandit of 25-45, does that mean I need to have slash of 25 to 45?
  • edited April 10
    grooby said:

so Bandit of 25-45, does that mean I need to have slash of 25 to 45?

In that case, it would simply mean that your characters weapon skill should be adequate enough to challenge those mobs.

However, if you are lacking healing skills, have no armor, and you are still using your starter weapon, you may still find in this case that it is too difficult until you improve some, or all, of those things as well.

Think of it as general suggestions on the different NPC's one may raise their skill on, rather than a 'leveling guide' for those specific levels because the difficulty will vary, based on ones skill as a player, the quality of your characters weapons and armor, if you are solo or grouped up with friends, if your connection to the server is poor, ones choice of skills, etc, etc.

So, if your weapon skill is 25-45, you could test the 25-45 area and see how you fair. If it's too hard, check out an area with a lower skill range, like 20-30. On the other hand, if you find it too easy, you might want try out something harder, like a level 35-50 skill range.

One of the great things about this game is that it is a sandbox that allows you to go at your own pace, on your own schedule and you're never locked into the general skill and gear choices that you might make on your journey. If something doesn't feel right to YOU, you can try something different - be it skills, gear, armor, or different types of NPC's to fight!
  • can we contribute to this map? would love to add the res stone on the map too.
  • edited April 15
    grooby said:

can we contribute to this map? would love to add the res stone on the map too.

I think that is an interesting thought! I'm not sure how many res stones there are to be honest, but there might be quite a few? Do we really think it would be handy info to put all of the res stones on the map? It sounds like a good idea to me, at first thought. I'll consider adding it based on feedback I get for it.

As for contributing to the map, this can be done in a couple different ways:

1. you can use this map to mark locations and send me updates of your copy, that way I can add the markers on the map.

2. if you know javascript and html, that opens up more options for contribution & teamwork, therefore you should contact me directly to discuss ideas and potential (either direct message me here on the forums or on Discord: 'veronica#3306').

Thanks for the feedback!
  • This is so helpful - thank you!! I can never even read the map they have in game because it's so low resolution.

Adding resurrection stones may be overkill, especially since when you die, your map points you to the nearest one anyways.
  • Kendall said:

This is so helpful - thank you!! I can never even read the map they have in game because it's so low resolution.

Adding resurrection stones may be overkill, especially since when you die, your map points you to the nearest one anyways.

Good point on the res stones, Kendall! :)
  • wow thank you! was about to make my own map lol
  • Question is it possible to use the cords of the /where commando to see the location on your map?
    PS:. I'm always lost :neutral:
  • DrLabel said:

Question is it possible to use the cords of the /where commando to see the location on your map?

Here, watch this:
  • edited April 25
    Andree said:

DrLabel said:

Question is it possible to use the cords of the /where commando to see the location on your map?

Here, watch this:
    Tks