End of March Update Plan

SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
https://www.legendsofaria.com/end-of-march-update-plan/

Okay, there's the big post I've been talking about! Go, read, come back, talk amongst yourselves, ask me questions.

Comments

• John ChisumJohn Chisum Zombieland
    PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Does that mean i can go to blackwood then, or is that a serverside thing?
  • VeronicaVeronica AriaHub.org
    edited March 19
    Thanks so much for the update!

One question for now, do you plan to stream at all while at PAX? Maybe the contest? And/or the announcing of the new roadmap? Or just a hello to friends and players that can not make it to this event?
  • This looks pretty good for a non-major patch.

Will the experimental testing be for this, or will that be geared more towards whatever it is you have planned for CB2?

For the armor styling, is that looking to impact only plate armor for the now?

That HUD click/dragging looks amazing. Does that persist on logging/zoning/etc?
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

Does that mean i can go to blackwood then, or is that a serverside thing?

I don't like to promise until I've PERSONALLY tried the patch, and generally speaking, problems with a zone aren't just one issue, but I am told you should see improvement.
    Veronica said:

Thanks so much for the update!

One question for now, do you plan to stream at all while at PAX? Maybe the contest? And/or the announcing of the new roadmap? Or just a hello to friends and players that can not make it to this event?

The plan is to announce the new roadmap dates, with a standard press release. We're really not in a position to do a major push for new players, so I'm not planning anything really SEXAY.

We can't afford the kind of internet connection it would cost to stream live from the show. It's nearly two grand for the kind of connection that lets people play the game at the show ;)

We are working out a little "thank you for playing" plan for all of you who might log in during the show to make the world feel active.
    Aneuren said:

This looks pretty good for a non-major patch.

Will the experimental testing be for this, or will that be geared more towards whatever it is you have planned for CB2?

For the armor styling, is that looking to impact only plate armor for the now?

That HUD click/dragging looks amazing. Does that persist on logging/zoning/etc?

Experimental server, if it happens, will be for what I've described here plus whatever other bugs we can knock out.

The hueing is supposed to apply to all items, but, stay tuned. It just looked prettiest on plate ;)

Derek says the health bar clicky doesn't follow you into dungeons but should persist as you go from area to area in the main world.
  • Let me see some things.
    First of all, THANKS for Sanya for kept promise.
    Her style to discuss with us is a sort of magic, giving us a feeling to be stupid if we enrage for nothing, and to simplify things that are not so.
    Substantially its not so much as patch, counting the adds, but its substantially a very good patch, and more, Sanya description of all seems to give more importance to all. I'm satisfied :D

Just a doubt, but i feel to be right and sad for same reason...... different armor colors mean only an aesthetic different appeal of even a substantial or partial difference in terms of durability, armor etc?
    Meziljin said:

Let me see some things.
    First of all, THANKS for Sanya for kept promise.
    Her style to discuss with us is a sort of magic, giving us a feeling to be stupid if we enrage for nothing, and to simplify things that are not so.
    Substantially its not so much as patch, counting the adds, but its substantially a very good patch, and more, Sanya description of all seems to give more importance to all. I'm satisfied :D

Just a doubt, but i feel to be right and sad for same reason...... different armor colors mean only an aesthetic different appeal of even a substantial or partial difference in terms of durability, armor etc?

Grazie ;)

I wasn't trying to make it SOUND more important, I was trying to explain what was there and why it was there. I think it will help if you know how we think, in the long run.

Yes, hueing is primarily aesthetic. But there is a lot of conversation about what plans the team has for armor and weapons in the future. I don't have anything pinned down with a date yet, however.
  • Sanya said:

The hueing is supposed to apply to all items, but, stay tuned. It just looked prettiest on plate ;)

Derek says the health bar clicky doesn't follow you into dungeons but should persist as you go from area to area in the main world.

The reason I asked about the hueing is mostly because I believe the T4 leather chest is still bugged, and doesn't correctly fashion. What should be a success message, is instead a non-message, and results with no item (not even an invisible one). Failure messages register accordingly. I just tried on my crafter yesterday, same thing happened. So I'm excited to see what the hueing will look like, but won't be able to test it very well on T4 leather.

But the health bars, that alone is huge. For dedicated healers in groups, outstanding. Thank you for the information.
  • TinchisxTinchisx Argentina
    Hello, i'm sorry if this is already been answered but what will happen with Steam EA, it will happen next month? i'm asking since the only way i can buy the game is with steam (mostly because i can use my country currency)
    Aneuren said:

Sanya said:

The reason I asked about the hueing is mostly because I believe the T4 leather chest is still bugged, and doesn't correctly fashion. What should be a success message, is instead a non-message, and results with no item (not even an invisible one). Failure messages register accordingly. I just tried on my crafter yesterday, same thing happened. So I'm excited to see what the hueing will look like, but won't be able to test it very well on T4 leather.

But the health bars, that alone is huge. For dedicated healers in groups, outstanding. Thank you for the information.
    You're welcome, and I'm sorry about the bug. Please keep reporting it? I'll nudge from this end, but there's no substitute for submitting a bug report.
    Tinchisx said:

Hello, i'm sorry if this is already been answered but what will happen with Steam EA, it will happen next month? i'm asking since the only way i can buy the game is with steam (mostly because i can use my country currency)

I am so sorry, but I'm afraid it's unlikely. We only get one shot at capturing a good audience on Steam, and if we tried it next month, we'd be reviewed into the dirt.
  • Anyway custom assets can be opened up to the general player base for those of us who are banking on LoA as a platform as opposed to the vanilla game? I mean pre alpha has been over for a long time, if not giving players the toolset and everything now at least letting players play on servers that are already utilizing custom assets.
    edited March 20

Anyway custom assets can be opened up to the general player base for those of us who are banking on LoA as a platform as opposed to the vanilla game? I mean pre alpha has been over for a long time, if not giving players the toolset and everything now at least letting players play on servers that are already utilizing custom assets.

That's one of those questions that won't be answerable without a long internal conversation, and I won't have an opinion until I've lurked and talked with more admins and seen the gameplan for really usable tools.

Sorry I can't answer you yet :/
  • Thanks Sanya,
    I like the Hues, differentiating the basic character look will offer guild colors which will help in the pvp chaos. I was more expecting a rundown of the various changes coming in CB2 but I don't mind surprises. The health bar is a definite plus, will I be able to cast Heal/Cure/Ebolt etc and target this vs the actual player?
    I heard the crafters are going to be real happy, I see nothing about crafting, except the hues, should we expect Dyes for the alchemist stamina/mana potions, Fabrication T4-T5 implemented with monsters dropping the materials, as of right now the only way you can get these items is treasure hunting, Its a little unbalanced with Heavy Armor being craftable up to T5 and cloth and leather at T3...?
  • I'm going to say something that surely will generate discussion:
    Why not relate aesthetic things only by-payment? i'm going to prefer that dye tubes should be under cosmetic shop, while pure metal colors in game mechanics... this because game need a cash flow and more because in this way there is not a real personification, just a bunch of colors that put in ridiculous fights (what guarantee you that that guy in gold coat is real your guild friend?) because i think guild will want to have a personal and "unique" dress code, giving more lore, recognizable players and more.

Personally i would pay for a specific dye tube linked to a guild dress. I'm sure now i will be lynched lol
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Thanks Sanya.
    Another questio about the "hueing".
    I understand that now all models have maps (texture, normal, bump) that separate 2 different "hueing" areas, in this particular case applied to metal and leather areas, but that could be applied differently? for example, to apply different hue to the the top and bottom part of a beetle, or rocks with two tones?
    Or will this ever only apply to armor (maybe cloth? weapons?)
  • edited March 20
    Meziljin said:

Personally i would pay for a specific dye tube linked to a guild dress. I'm sure now i will be lynched lol

I feel like lynchings for suggestions like that might be more commonplace in communities which skew a lot younger, with less disposable income that they want to spend on their hobbies than a bunch of ex-UO nerds. :) That's not to say that everyone will agree, but hopefully we'll be a bit more chill about explaining why.

I actually agree though. Having dye tubs with basic Middle Ages peasant-type colours should probably be commonplace and accessible like they were in UO, because having some control over things like shirts and robes is quite key to having a world that feels alive. The fewer clones running around the better.

Things like royal colours could be very high end craftables and/or fall under the realm of purchaseable cosmetics. Treasures from the old times like the true black/white dye tubs and the rest of their ilk were functionally purchased with real money as veteran rewards even in old UO. Way before the era of horse armor and season passes. I don't see anything egregious in allowing people to short cut the waiting and support the game when they choose to for things like this. :)

Especially given that in this specific example, the purchase is able to be given back to the community. People who choose to support the game can do it and have the convenience of owning one and they can choose to allow others to use them as they would like. They might end up somewhat rare, if they're priced relative to how the old UO vet rewards were, but if you lurk in a large city for too long you'll find someone willing to help you for a tip or a favor. I did an awful lot of true black dyeing for people back in the day. :)

Thanks Sanya,
    I like the Hues, differentiating the basic character look will offer guild colors which will help in the pvp chaos. I was more expecting a rundown of the various changes coming in CB2 but I don't mind surprises. The health bar is a definite plus, will I be able to cast Heal/Cure/Ebolt etc and target this vs the actual player?
    I heard the crafters are going to be real happy, I see nothing about crafting, except the hues, should we expect Dyes for the alchemist stamina/mana potions, Fabrication T4-T5 implemented with monsters dropping the materials, as of right now the only way you can get these items is treasure hunting, Its a little unbalanced with Heavy Armor being craftable up to T5 and cloth and leather at T3...?

You should expect nothing that I haven't outlined here. This is the basis for coloring things, the system on which we'll build other color-related things.

As for a crafting system overhaul, I've heard chat about needing to do it, but it's going to take all our effort to get this patch up and rock solid before the first week in April. So I can't make promises as to when you'll see these (necessary) changes.

One of the things I like about this company's history is that for the past few years, they've been taking things one patch at a time. That's the only way to roll and still have a company from year to year. Dream big in conversation, sure, but actual workflow is lay one brick, then the next.
    Meziljin said:

I'm going to say something that surely will generate discussion:
    Why not relate aesthetic things only by-payment? i'm going to prefer that dye tubes should be under cosmetic shop, while pure metal colors in game mechanics... this because game need a cash flow and more because in this way there is not a real personification, just a bunch of colors that put in ridiculous fights (what guarantee you that that guy in gold coat is real your guild friend?) because i think guild will want to have a personal and "unique" dress code, giving more lore, recognizable players and more.

Interesting idea :)

I think, though, that most color functionality belongs in the base game to help the world feel more real. Of course, on our server, the wild colors will be somewhat rare. Community servers will probably be more...colorful.

I won't rule out the idea of us selling a REALLY special or rare color combination in our future shop, but generally speaking, I think this is a necessary addition to the game.
    Sacha said:

Thanks Sanya.
    Another questio about the "hueing".
    I understand that now all models have maps (texture, normal, bump) that separate 2 different "hueing" areas, in this particular case applied to metal and leather areas, but that could be applied differently? for example, to apply different hue to the the top and bottom part of a beetle, or rocks with two tones?
    Or will this ever only apply to armor (maybe cloth? weapons?)

Goodness. I don't know. I've asked one of the designers.

There will be a bit of a delay getting answers - we're having a sloppy winter storm here, very wet rain falling on top of accumulated sleet, and the person I've asked is heading home to work from there.
    Raitasar said:

Meziljin said:

I feel like lynchings for suggestions like that might be more commonplace in communities which skew a lot younger, with less disposable income that they want to spend on their hobbies than a bunch of ex-UO nerds. :) That's not to say that everyone will agree, but hopefully we'll be a bit more chill about explaining why.

I actually agree though. Having dye tubs with basic Middle Ages peasant-type colours should probably be commonplace and accessible like they were in UO, because having some control over things like shirts and robes is quite key to having a world that feels alive. The fewer clones running around the better.

Things like royal colours could be very high end craftables and/or fall under the realm of purchaseable cosmetics. Treasures from the old times like the true black/white dye tubs and the rest of their ilk were functionally purchased with real money as veteran rewards even in old UO. Way before the era of horse armor and season passes. I don't see anything egregious in allowing people to short cut the waiting and support the game when they choose to for things like this. :)

Especially given that in this specific example, the purchase is able to be given back to the community. People who choose to support the game can do it and have the convenience of owning one and they can choose to allow others to use them as they would like. They might end up somewhat rare, if they're priced relative to how the old UO vet rewards were, but if you lurk in a large city for too long you'll find someone willing to help you for a tip or a favor. I did an awful lot of true black dyeing for people back in the day. :)
    I think you're thinking along our lines (at least right now, things do change at this stage). Close enough that I feel like I should check my webcam and make sure you're not patched in ;)
  • Sanya said:

Anyway custom assets can be opened up to the general player base for those of us who are banking on LoA as a platform as opposed to the vanilla game? I mean pre alpha has been over for a long time, if not giving players the toolset and everything now at least letting players play on servers that are already utilizing custom assets.

That's one of those questions that won't be answerable without a long internal conversation, and I won't have an opinion until I've lurked and talked with more admins and seen the gameplan for really usable tools.

Sorry I can't answer you yet :/
    Thank you :) All I am asking for is that the conversation be had.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Sanya said:

Thx Sanya

Sacha said:

Sanya said:

Thx Sanya

The answer was the system is extremely flexible, but that we only have it plugged into armor right now. So...TBD ;)
  • Have you guys thought about doing a soft release on a platform like GOG than doing a launch on STEAM?
  • Hi Sanya, Any chance for those that already have characters to get a new hairdoo/Beard without having to make a new character?

Have you guys thought about doing a soft release on a platform like GOG than doing a launch on STEAM?

Everything is on the table right now, up to and including publishing deals with companies that appreciate what we're trying to do, here.

Hi Sanya, Any chance for those that already have characters to get a new hairdoo/Beard without having to make a new character?

Dunno. I'll go ask :)
  • MordMord St. Paul Minnesota
    Sanya said:

Raitasar said:

Meziljin said:

I think you're thinking along our lines (at least right now, things do change at this stage). Close enough that I feel like I should check my webcam and make sure you're not patched in ;)
    There is a very thin line being walked here and it is the one of micro-transactions. It's a mixed bag, right? Early UO could of made lots of money on items being bought/sold on external sites like Ebay. Instead they did everything they could to quash the outside-the-game sale of items. Current games like Guildwars 2 are pretty much held together by profiting from those micro-transactions.

My point is this; its a slippery slope once you go down that road and one that should be thought out carefully. Once you pick a direction (pay-to-play or micro-transactions) it is pretty much an irreversible course. Diablo 3 went so far as to make items have real world value and people could purchase/sell for real money. Everyone hated it. Why one instance works and the others doesn't is anyone's guess. Making items of high demand purchase able is good for the game's short term financial future, but at what cost to the long run?