Comments

• YorlikYorlik www.arcanima.org
    Not as moddable as LoA.
    Not interesting for me, despite my background is NWN.
    /me declines with a smile.
  • Really excited about this. :smiley:

I am really looking foward to seeing how far Beamdog and the modding community will push NWN: EE.
  • Might end up playing it again from time to time ..lol
    Some mod-options interest me though - especially the extent compared to back then ;)
  • DriakDriak Oregon, USA
    @Yorlik LoA will be more moddable? I haven't been paying too close attention, but I thought I read that Citadel was dropping a lot of their plans for modding tools? Was that not true?

That's what sold me on LoA. The moddable sandbox aspect.
  • edited March 12
    I picked it up and was in the early release group. Started playing around with it and, while its a fine thing, it ultimately drove me to dig up my NWN2 disks. The graphics are still really dated and the ares look the same.
  • DriakDriak Oregon, USA
    @loudent Initially, they weren't going to overhaul the graphics. But the community voted for it more than anything else on their Trello board, so they're doing it. They're pretty awesome like that. It's going to take some time and will be an ongoing process, but they said they'll eventually have all of the textures redone.

Here's a glimpse at what they've got. Looks pretty good:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/march-9-livestream-recap.html
  • edited March 13
    Driak said:

It's going to take some time and will be an ongoing process, but they said they'll eventually have all of the textures redone.

I´m glad they made this decision and changed their initial plan some months ago.
    Can´t wait to play in Full-HD with the new textures.. no eye-cancer, Yes! ;)

Also interesting:
    "The development branch of Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition on Steam got a new patch this week. Build 8163, among other fixes, makes possible to play the Premium Modules in Multiplayer."
    "New content for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition will come as separate modules. We’re investigating requests for new content in the Original Campaign of Neverwinter Nights but don’t have a solution currently."
    "The issue of UI scaling freely on any resolution hasn’t been resolved yet as we are discussing possible approaches to it. UI refactor will happen further down the line."
  • Where NWN excells at is being a very user friendly and time efficient experience for world building. It is easier to work with in many regards, but more restrictive in what you can do in terms of modding.

Legends of Aria is a completely different beast when it comes to modability. Especially in terms of code based mods. You can edit or even replace almost everything of the official ruleset, and create completely new systems.

Neverwinter Nights with it's heavily hard coded ruleset does not even come close. What has become easier with NWN: EE is adding things like custom classes and spells. But even with Beamdog removing an amount of hard coded restrictions, you can not change NWN to be anything but 3rd edition D&D. A lot of custom system mods for NWN (crafting, farming, death, etc.) will always be restricted in how far you can go.
  • SanyaSanya Inside your computer Administrator
    They are doing a wonderful thing. People should try both, figure out what feels best, and enjoy themselves.

Obviously they're ready for primetime very soon and we are not, so in my personal opinion, no one even has to choose. Play it (I certainly will, I've got a ten year old who needs to be introduced to NWN). As with any game that relates to sandbox gaming, come back here after you've put in some time, and share what you love and don't love. That's how competition makes games better for everyone.
  • DriakDriak Oregon, USA
    @Pharaun Thanks for the explanation. That sheds some light on it. :)

@Sanya That's an awesome attitude to have toward competing games. Good on ya! :)