Skill gain seems to stop unpredictably?

Sir MurphySir Murphy Crossroads
edited February 8 in General Discussion
I was training on some mobs on my fresh warrior, and at about 10.4 slashing, it just stopped raising. I was gaining healing but no other combat skills. Then I left the area and went to eldeir, and I was gaining again. Can someone explain to me what determines fighting skill gain?

Comments

• nexednexed boston
    make sure you were eating food i think skill gains stop/slow down if your avatar is hungry
  • nexed said:

make sure you were eating food i think skill gains stop/slow down if your avatar is hungry

That is correct, when you are hungry in game currently you'll start seeing a couple icons on the top of your screen that indicate you are starting to lose vitality and you can not gain skills or stats.
  • I learned real fast, harvest meat, get a cooking pot, make edible food. A full character is a happy character.
  • Sir MurphySir Murphy Crossroads
    doesn't seem like this was the issue as I was still initiate and never got a hungry message?
  • nexednexed boston
    did you at least try eating
    edited February 9
    yes, that was my first thought so i ate a few bread, but didn't seem to fix anything =\
    I was wondering if it was that "vitality" mechanic, but I still have no idea what that does, how to view how much I have, or if it is even functioning.
  • edited February 9

yes, that was my first thought so i ate a few bread, but didn't seem to fix anything =\
    I was wondering if it was that "vitality" mechanic, but I still have no idea what that does, how to view how much I have, or if it is even functioning.

I think there may be a bug preventing skill ups, I just havent been able to replicate to verify or getting enough evidence to lead me to what the pattern causing it could be.

But I think you are right, there is something going on lately with my piercing skill.

PS- considering skills can be really random when they skill up, i honestly think it would be a bit complicated to replicate.
    @Grim_CS I'm not sure if you guys know anything we don't or have got reports about something similar, but just a headsup. I'll report it next time I login. i just dont know how to explain this bug in the report.
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    Be sure what you're training on is not to low of a level, and double check your debuffs.
  • OmmamarOmmamar United States
    Kade said:

Be sure what you're training on is not to low of a level, and double check your debuffs.

Hmm that is interesting. So how do you tell what level something is? And other then the effect icon that shows up in the top middle how do you see buffs/debuffs that are currently active?
  • KadeKade Citadel Team Administrator
    edited February 9
    Icons are the only way currently to see all buffs/debuffs. There's not a guaranteed way to tell if they are too easy for gains, but if you rarely miss it's a good indicator the mob is too easy.
  • OmmamarOmmamar United States
    Kade said:

Icons are the only way currently to see all buffs/debuffs. There's not a guaranteed way to tell if they are too easy for gains, but if you rarely miss it's a good indicator the mob is too easy.

Ok good to know thanks!
    My skill was 10.4 slashing and I was training on harpies, didn't go up a single point for 20+ minutes, I was an initiate, not hungry, skill was not capped/locked, had no debuffs aside from recently bandaged. Could have just been really bad luck but seems unlikely given how low my skill was? I don't have this problem at other spawns.
  • InfernoInferno Devils Of Kimone
    edited February 15
    Cant speak for everyone as far as a skill up bug.... but im going to just throw this out there as food for thought.... if your not making gains, try hitting something different. When you get gains at a decent pace stick with it, when it slows down too much then find another mob. I can say without a doubt my testing has shown there are certain mobs for certain skill level to get good gains.... this isnt rocket science or unpredictability its about going out and making it work.

Now if everyone is wanting to go from 0-100 on a training dummy belay my last.

• Did you check that your scroll bar on that skill is at 100 ?
    Try switching weapons on the dummy - your vigor should go up for any weapon once you see a raise go back to the sword
    Log out and back in also when your stuck at skills - when your back in eat then start again

I have been able to raise to 40 on the dummy in all weapons - to adjust my stats that way i want.
    hope this helps
    Inferno said:

Cant speak for everyone as far as a skill up bug.... but im going to just throw this out there as food for thought.... if your not making gains, try hitting something different. When you get gains at a decent pace stick with it, when it slows down too much then find another mob. I can say without a doubt my testing has shown there are certain mobs for certain skill level to get good gains.... this isnt rocket science or unpredictability its about going out and making it work.

Now if everyone is wanting to go from 0-100 on a training dummy belay my last.

Yeah, again, doesn't seem to be the case here. But just wanted to alert the devs to something that might not be working as designed.
  • same with fishing, after 10 points it start become REALLY hard to raise up.... but this is a test server issue i think
  • I have a crazy running theory if you think you should be gaining on what you are doing and you can't gain; drop the max skill up in that category a couple and do it a couple more times. Could just be coincidence, but seem to gain after that doing the same things.
  • edited August 4
    I have the same issue, it came about when i needed to rest in the INN and eat.

I have since eaten roughly 4 pieces of cooked fish and loads of bread, no icon rebuff is displayed. I have attempted to skill up using scrolls (Mage) that are difficulty 8 but no luck. Also tried crafting cotton items as I have just trained the skill but I am not getting any gains either.

I've also logged in and out, same problem.

Edit: I just ate loads of bread to see if it was a food issue and got a skill up. Strange. Maybe the debuff indicator is a little off.
  • Morgan said:

I have the same issue, it came about when i needed to rest in the INN and eat.

I have since eaten roughly 4 pieces of cooked fish and loads of bread, no icon rebuff is displayed. I have attempted to skill up using scrolls (Mage) that are difficulty 8 but no luck. Also tried crafting cotton items as I have just trained the skill but I am not getting any gains either.

I've also logged in and out, same problem.

Edit: I just ate loads of bread to see if it was a food issue and got a skill up. Strange. Maybe the debuff indicator is a little off.

Try typing /hunger

That will tell you how long you have before you get hungry then starving.
  • JubbinJubbin Washington State
    edited August 5
    Skill gains are based on 2-3 things.
    What your skill is - What the mobs skill is in comparison to yours - Hunger.

If you're skill is too high, you simply do not gain anymore on said mob. (The mob's skill is at least 25pts lower than yours)

If the Mob's skill is too high, you will not gain as fast as you'd hope.

Most mobs in this game are picky and require you to be within 5-10 pts of your skill level to gain efficiently.

Drakes for example with Melee gains: I was at 90 lancing and was gaining very slow on drakes. >SLOW< but still gaining. Once I hit 95.0 on lancing I was gaining at least 3x faster it seemed. like almost .4 gains per drake and I was with another person so I'm sure it could have been more gains if I were solo. But to keep the pace, I was duo with a friend.