Skill gain question

Does anyone else feel that the skill gain is quite fast? Which is fine, cause it means that anyone can play even casually and compete with a hard core gamer. But was that done on purpose? I was just curious if anyone felt it goes quick.

Comments

• SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    Yes it is. Skills and stats.
    I hope it gets much slower after release, but I doubt it.
  • ValianceValiance United Kingdom
    I personally feel its too fast yes. Being able to reach 80 mining, 80 Lumberjacking, 60 Blacksmithing and 60 Carpentry in 52 hours playtime seems too fast in my opinion. As well as getting enough money for a house from hunting. Needs toning down a good amount i think, does not feel like an accomplishment to me, whereas on UO, gaining skills felt like you achieved something great.
  • OmmamarOmmamar United States
    Well the game is in BETA so I expect things are set at an accelerated rate to allow testing of low medium and high skill levels in something. It would be interesting to hear from developers on the current advancement rate.
  • RhysRhys Great Lakes
    Valiance said:

I personally feel its too fast yes. Being able to reach 80 mining, 80 Lumberjacking, 60 Blacksmithing and 60 Carpentry in 52 hours playtime seems too fast in my opinion. As well as getting enough money for a house from hunting. Needs toning down a good amount i think, does not feel like an accomplishment to me, whereas on UO, gaining skills felt like you achieved something great.

52 hours seems like a pretty long time to only be at 80? Not too familiar with crafting compared to UO though, i mostly just did combat.
    52 hours for all those skills I mentioned as well as farming 1g 80s for a house fighting.
  • RhysRhys Great Lakes
    It was much faster than that in UO to reach 80 for sure. But again, that's combat skills, not sure how it was for crafting in UO.

52 hours for working people is close to a month of play. And 80 is just scratching the surface of mid-late game.
    Rhys said:

52 hours for working people is close to a month of play. And 80 is just scratching the surface of mid-late game.

Seems fine.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    Skill gain should be slower
  • MichelliaMichellia Ottawa, Ontario
    way way to fast, I understand to 50 ok, but after that should take over 200 hours to get to 100 GM level
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    I concur with this ^
  • See no reason to have extended skilling up times in a sandbox MMO. Getting levelled is just a means to an end in a game where you are meant to be creating your own end game content :)
  • InfernoInferno Devils Of Kimone
    Should take longer, lets hope it gains faster for testing purposes. That way to GM a skill means you put the time in. otherwise why not start with all your maxxed skills you select right away?
  • gwarthamgwartham Devils of Kimone
    I don't see the problem. Of course Mining and LJ are gonna quick as they are active skills, but now welcome to grind time.

And in UO, if you had the knowledge and the funds, you could make a 6xgm and working well into the 7th(resist) in about 4 days.
  • OmmamarOmmamar United States
    If I recall right the developers said they where pretty happy with the 1-80 skill progression but would likely lower the 80-100 rate. I expect it will stay the same until later in the testing process just to make it easier to test all ranges of skills and progress.
  • edited February 6
    Artificial borders will drive people away.. if it takes 3-4 month to get a skill to 100 , many will leave the game quite fast. Also it hinders to rebuild existing characters instead of making a new one.

This is often just a way to prevent players from reaching endgame content..
    And wellcome back to the theme park mmo world ;)
  • Lol havo. Ty ty
  • edited February 6
    At the last QA they talked about how they believe 1-80 is in a good spot. It may be adjusted slightly if i recall hearing correctly. Don't quote me on it, i dont want to go back and watch the live stream again. Also they said getting Grand Master in a skill will definitely take some work. One thing I did hear one of the devs say is that one of the weapon skills can basically be maxed in a days time and that it will be changed.
    Id imagine they would keep it where it's at right now though. I mean.. it's beta. Testing and reporting game breaking bugs/exploits, in my opinion, should be the biggest concern among testers. Lets pull together and make a better LoA! :wink:

• Slow it the F down.

For an average gamer (10-15 hours a week):
    1-80 should be 1-2 months
    81-100 should be an additional month

At this rate I want to be retired at 20 and from there enjoy end-life content.
    HavoKing said:

if it takes 3-4 month to get a skill to 100 , many will leave the game quite fast.

That's just an opinon, it might as weel draw people to the game. The game should be fun at 20, 80 or 100 skill level.

• If crafting skills will be too easy to lvl up until 100, then there will be no reason in buying items from other players. Why? If you can GM all crafting skills in a month or so?
  • Proven fact in the MMO industry. Even UO needed powerhours and the like to keep players ingame.
    Very few games were successful with 2-3 months skill leveling - games like EVE where the main focus was trading.
  • Well it shouldn't be too easy too :) But now I can't tell that skills are gaining too fast! Maybe until 70, then you will see a massive slow-down. Lumberjacking, mining, fishing - are all easy skills :D Try to GM tailoring or Blacksmithing xD Even carpentry is pain from 80-100 (probably easiest crafting skill).
    edited February 6
    Fast speed gains = no economy if everyone can simply and quickly make all crafters they need themselves, no economy makes it purely a little pve / pvp game, no point in having crafters/vendors/housing. Also Gwartham sure you could do that in UO, but not for years and years after it was released. UO Prime time was when all crafters, fighters, mages had a place in the world, not when everyone could do everything themselves.
  • Valiance said:

Fast speed gains = no economy if everyone can simply and quickly make all crafters they need themselves, no economy makes it purely a little pve / pvp game, no point in having crafters/vendors/housing. Also Gwartham sure you could do that in UO, but not for years and years after it was released. UO Prime time was when all crafters, fighters, mages had a place in the world, not when everyone could do everything themselves.

+1. I Agree here. Make skill gains too fast and it will ruin player-driven economy.
  • edited February 6
    Personally I think 1-2 month to max a skill is nowhere near "fast"..

Fully Player-driven economy does not work. At some point you're forced to have a second support-char or pay insane prices. Without vendors buying raw materials and items for fair prices, it will not work.
    All games had this problem.. that's why UO economy was not fully player-driven.
    If you are already GM you can pay insane prices. What else would you want your money for?
  • AckrillAckrill Russia, Moscow
    edited February 10
    I thinks, when there will be more "milestones" on the "way of blacksmith" so gaining skills can be slowed down. For ex: if you can reach 2 "milestones" like "can craft iron" and "can craft gold", you should get every in 24 hours - iron (50points), then add 24 hours - gold (at 100points). So 100 skillpoints = these 2 "milestones". This way 100 skillpoints = 48 hours of gaining skills. If we add 3rd milestone (or more) the time will increase and you will gain "new things" and "33, 66, and 100" - are their needed points. You can achieve 100 points in 72hours.
  • Origami_TsunamiOrigami_Tsunami Detroit
    edited February 10
    Many people in this thread seem to be forgetting a number of things that re-contextualize crafting in this game versus a number of other mmos.

First, items are extremely impermanent. They can be broken and lost through a number of methods. This wouldn't be that big a deal if you could just craft a new one, however

Second, the success rate and number of resources required in the production of high end items makes crafting them even at GM (100.0), a chore. This means that even with a crafter, you will need to spend hours gathering items in order to remake things. Many carpentry items for example, take 200 of a given resource to ATTEMPT to craft. The success rate on said item can be unbearably low. Have fun.

Third, gains are quicker at lower levels, both by the rate at which you get gains, and also the easy access to nodes. Getting to 80 in the crafting skills doesn't take an absurd amount of time, but 80-100 is slow, and requires gathering in locations outside of town / freman mines.

Fourth, a character can only have 6 skills. While this allows people to max a lot of crafting now, this will become much more difficult as skills are introduced. Once there is a range of possible accompanying skills, like tinkering, poisoning, barding etc -- making decisions on how to get them all into a character that works for you becomes a bit trickier.
  • edited February 10
    @Origami_Tsunami absolutely!
    /signed

@Ackrill not sure the devs want that.. but it might be much better than what we have now.
    Crafting got so many changes.. it´s not even funny.. and we´re still far away from a working system like UO had it

@Sacha well, If items were almost unbreakable - true. But regarding
    .. cost of quality items versus use
    sorry, but that does not work. Next problem is that you won´t get any T4/T5 equip unless you know those few GM Smiths personally.. works on RP servers.. but not on PVP ones..
    especially bad if you killed some of their alts/twinks or as a "RED" ;)
    Additionally, you will concentrate pvp in a few big guilds - so you need just 2-3 gm-crafters
  • I like to work for my progression in a game, so it really feels like I accomplished something when I reach max level, max skill, max crafting profession, etc.

If I doesn't matter to me to delete a max level character and start over -- progression is way too easy in my opinion.