Should i buy it

Hi guys, just found this game last night and, as an old UO fan, i'm very excited about it.
So was i when i made the mistake to buy a premium pack for Albion Online, which is finally a regular MMO and not a sandbox at all.

I've had so bad experiences with early access titles that never deliver what they sell (except Prison Architect and Kerbal Space Program), that i would like your opinion before pledging.

Is the game really as they sell it? It is fun? Is it possible to enjoy it without a 50+ team? It is RP friendly?

Comments

• I can assure you from the point of an old UO vet (pre-trammel Drachenfels server) that this game is much closer than Shroud of the Avatar ( gave out my account a little while after it went persistent and i feel luckier every day i see this train wreck going) and Albion will ever be.
    Now if you want you can always check the discussions in these forums plus some videos and support the honest try these devs doing.
  • UO vet here as well, and this game definitely is the closest thing you'll find to it. It's becoming a hub for UO fans like yourself and the more we can get the better to help ensure the devs continue to develop the game and preserve the special things that made uo so great. They've already made a few compromises to cater to other crowds like making half the map a huge safe zone but it could end up working out okay, we won't know till the world is populated. But you should join up for sure, maybe wait till official alpha servers are back online in a few weeks.
  • I think one of the best things you can do, OP, is head over to YouTube. Heaps of people have made videos as they play the game. Some go for aaaaaages, and show you heaps of aspects of the game so far. If it seems like fun to you, back it. If it doesn't, don't. It's a much better way of judging how it plays than people putting words on a forum.
  • BaladasBaladas UK
    edited August 2017
    "They've already made a few compromises to cater to other crowds like making half the map a huge safe zone."

What?

https://www.legendsofaria.com/forums/discussion/4300/balancing-full-pvp-loot-with-limiting-griefing#latest

August 6th

http://i.imgur.com/h23aiVw.png

That does not look like "half the map" to me unless something changed very recently.

*Edit*

I just looked at the maps and it looks like they have not finished building the world yet?

https://www.legendsofaria.com/map/

Also the image here:

https://legendsofaria.gamepedia.com/File:Celador_guard_zones.png

Seems to indicate less than half the map being "safe zone."
  • Didn't expect someone to get the measuring tape out, but point is a huge portion.

But we'll have to play it before any solid positive or negative opinions about it can be justifiably made.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    I already pointed out it is much less than half the map, but some people have very impermeable membranes around their brains, of the selective kind.
  • Thanks for the comment Sacha. Very mature.
  • Quasidius said:

Hi guys, just found this game last night and, as an old UO fan, i'm very excited about it.
    So was i when i made the mistake to buy a premium pack for Albion Online, which is finally a regular MMO and not a sandbox at all.

I've had so bad experiences with early access titles that never deliver what they sell (except Prison Architect and Kerbal Space Program), that i would like your opinion before pledging.

Is the game really as they sell it? It is fun? Is it possible to enjoy it without a 50+ team? It is RP friendly?

UO Vet here (19+ years on EA's shards). The game is not bad. It has some elements of UO in there and some elements of not-UO. To get an opinion is to visit other web sites that talk about LOA but is not owned by LOA. Then you will be able to get a full picture.

I can assure you from the point of an old UO vet (pre-trammel Drachenfels server) that this game is much closer than Shroud of the Avatar .

Thanks for bashing Shroud of the Avatar (a competitors game). I don't believe that will answer the OP's question.
  • the one big limitation i have found is believe it or not the skill level limit.. while 600 may seem like a lot it REALLY limits you... as an example lets assume you want to be a board and sword tank...

for physical attacks you have to have wo base skills
    vigor
    dueling

now you need one weapon skill... assuming you want to be proficient in all weapons you need THREE weapon skills...

assuming you want to max all of them you have now used 500 of your six hundred allowed skill points... you can now learn ONE craft at master level 8(

it is the same for spell casters just different skills

this gets even worse if you want to have a spell tosser that can also use a sword.. in that case you get ONE class of weapon.. and ONE class of spell.... no crafting at all 8(

the only other solution is to be only ok with a weapon or spell.. and work on crafting.

to make matters even worse MOST crafts require at least 2 skills in order to work on them... for example to be a good blacksmith you REALLY need to get your mining up or you won't be able to afford the supplies...

so, in short, you can be good with ONE class of weapon/spell and ONE craft... and then you have 100 skill points to spend on a random craft... alchemy etc.

I understand the desire not to have super characters that can do everything.. but i would like to be able to do more than TWO things!!

one of the fun parts of UO IMHO was setting your weapon/spells aside and working on crafting ... then going back when that got boring.
  • SachaSacha [Reino de Aldor]
    @Greshnab reading your description seems quite right to me. If you want to be a grandmaster in ALL weapons then you'll be limited in other areas.
    You can be a GM warrior that master one type of weapon and still GM crafting at one profession. That's more than a Celador inhabitant should ask for :)
  • And you get multiple char slots.
  • Eddie said:

And you get multiple char slots.

Alts are bad.

Making incentive to create alts in a UO "successor" is bad.

UO vet from pre Felucca days.

Please no "forced" alts or alt based incentives.

An "alt" should be created if you want a different play style, not to supplement your main.
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    edited August 2017
    Sacrifices have to be made or finding a solid hybrid in-between. I'm not sure if CS will continue it but if you prefer one style of weapon to another you can always drop the skill and regain it at double-rate later on. Having a character that can do everything without limitations dampens relying on a community, guilds, friends for other aspects of play-styles. I don't see how alts are bad, I'll have a second toon that's a lumberjack/carpenter skills while my main will have zero crafting and that's not GMing every skill in the character I'm making.
  • edited August 2017
    How do you know if someone's alt is the pvp build And the main is the crafter? Off topic but just mentioning it haha.
    I think it's ok. If you want a grandmaster warrior he won't be able to make potions, if I want a spellsword it makes sense that they only do two things well. If you studied medicine at university it takes time, right? Can you have the same time to study law and astronomy at the same time? I hope they keep the 600, maybe 700.
  • Baladas said:

Eddie said:

Alts are bad.

An "alt" should be created if you want a different play style, not to supplement your main.
    I disagree with alts being "bad", For reasons nocturn stated. And being a "uo sucessor" the uo vets are used to alts so I don't get that either.
  • Sacha said:

@Greshnab reading your description seems quite right to me. If you want to be a grandmaster in ALL weapons then you'll be limited in other areas.
    You can be a GM warrior that master one type of weapon and still GM crafting at one profession. That's more than a Celador inhabitant should ask for :)

Sacha i disagree... assuming you max all 3 weapon classes and blocking... a weapons grand master.. you have ZERO skill points for anything else... so you can't bandage anyone.. or cook a dinner in a reasonable fashion... that is VERY limiting... and if you do a lil research into history you will find that it isn't even realistic quite a few weapons masters are capable of a LOT of other things on a better than average level...

the whole point of heroic fantasy is to run heroes... YES i can see why people want some limits... however 600 seems VERY low...
  • Community-run servers will most definitely feature rule sets without skill cap, that is probably one of the easiest modifications to set up - so no worries about that. The vanilla version that will ship with the game and run on the Citadel servers will most likely have a skill cap, though.

There will be a server for everyone, be it official or community-run. The problem is that a lot of people only think about LoA in the short-term, and that is why they try to push for their favorite play style to become the norm on the official servers. A lot of these discussions on "what is better" should actually be on the the Custom Content forum, where people could meaningfully come up with nice server concepts.
  • beater07beater07 America
    edited August 2017
    I disagree. Most people plan to play on official mainly and alternatively play on community servers. Everyone should be expressing what they'd like to see happen on their server of choice, not sit back and say nothing - giving devs no feedback on what their fans like or want.

No one will get a full 100% what they want in the end but at that point is when you decide if a community server better meets your needs.
  • ZagZag
    edited August 2017
    beater07 said:

Most people plan to play on official mainly and alternatively play on community servers.

Well, I am not sure if this is true. Until I see a statistically significant poll backing this statement I might as well believe that most people will be interested in community-run servers.
    beater07 said:

No one will get a full 100% what they want in the end but at that point is when you decide if a community server better meets your needs.

My point is that in the long run there will most certainly exist a community-run server which will feature nearly all aspects of the play style you enjoy. And if that is the case, the decision you refer to is pretty much established to favor community servers from the get go. The only caveat is that you will have to wait a little longer to see that play out.
  • Naw, I'll be playing on official with everyone else while you are trying to find the statistics you need to prove the obvious.

Have fun with that.
  • ZagZag
    edited August 2017
    Wow, your arguments dried up faster than I thought. Have fun living with your fabricated facts - it is trendy these days to disregard the facts entirely. ;)

But anyway, I would recommend the purchase @Quasidius . The game might not be exactly what you want at the moment, but it definitely has a lot of potential. Community servers in particular will probably become the most fun ones to play in the future, and you will most likely find one that fits your play style.
  • DominusDominus I always start my day with a Special K, for breakfast.
    Zag said:

beater07 said:

Most people plan to play on official mainly and alternatively play on community servers.

Well, I am not sure if this is true. Until I see a statistically significant poll backing this statement I might as well believe that most people will be interested in community-run servers.
    Nah, from a marketing perspective the community servers have to overcome awareness, herd mentality, trust issues, switching costs and progenitor status (the fact the official servers will always be the first to have new expansions) in roughly that order. And unless a community server has a genius marketer that knows how to bypass those 5 major filters, or CS completely drops the ball, it's never going to happen.

In fact I'll do one better than a poll, whilst skewing the numbers heavily in your favour to tempt you.

I'm willing to take bets on the average online players, on the Official Server, being a minimum 3 times larger than the largest english community server, once it's up permanently (no more wipes), with expansions planned, at any time frame you choose after 3 months. How about it?

@Quasidius
    If you liked UO you'll like this when it's done, it's already better than Albion IMO, and there's already some RP players.
  • Tell me that story again once "Marketing" becomes a science capable of consistently making reliable predictions. Again, these anecdotes are a nice exercise in hypothesis-building, but at the moment there is nothing but a mix of bias and wishful thinking backing them up. I could write an essay on how these filters will naturally select community servers with a more dedicated and professional staff, as well as better quality in-game content. In addition, even if these filters eliminate 99% of all community servers, there will still be 10 reliable community servers in 1000 attempts - notice also that this number of attempts can be reached with a very small fraction (~1.0%) of the population of a below-average MMO with ~100,000 subscribers. And 10 community servers is, well, 10 times the number of official servers. Anyway, that is why I said the numbers matter.

As for the bet.. Sure, I bet all of @beater07 's money you are right. :tongue:

• So Zag.....you playing on official?
  • A/
    Eddie said:

Baladas said:

Eddie said:

Alts are bad.

I disagree with alts being "bad", For reasons nocturn stated. And being a "uo sucessor" the uo vets are used to alts so I don't get that either.
    Alts remove lots of player trading from the market.

Say I am a GM swordsman, spent 600 points all on fighting skills. I want to get me a nice sword to use. I can either a) Buy from a player or b) Make an alt and make my own sword. c) Have enough skills for my main to make it and become a swordsman who sells GM swords (increase skill cap). This mitigates the need for an alt who can craft everything for the main as the money from sword sales can go towards buying armour.

Balancing the "alt" mentality is difficult and I am not sure how they may deal with it to be honest.
    @Zag Oh lets do it for fun, I'm confident enough in my prediction to cover anything from £1 - £1000, Whatever you can afford really, I'll let you pick the dates to your advantage too. We can use an escrow service to make sure neither of us can back out.

And if anyone else wants to take some easy money from me, you can join in too. msg me!
  • NocturnNocturn Arch-Necromancer
    My money is on Dominus and the Official server. (No offense to the community servers of course)
  • ZagZag
    edited August 2017
    I appreciate the invitation, but I will have to decline. If we ever run into each other in-game 10 years from now you can tell me whether or not you were right. I probably won't remember you anyway. I suggest you invest this money in LoA/Citadel instead, either through pledges or donations - that is a much smarter move which would benefit us all, and not just someone's ego.
    @Zag Honestly I want to see community servers succeed, and I advertise the ones I think are good to anyone I believe would be interested.

But you can't go around making claims you're not willing to back, and I enjoy risky things anyways.

I mean you could make a £1000 bet, buy 25 accounts and convince 25 more people to boost the numbers to 50.. and the official servers would need 151 players online average. (which is more than they've had previously). and when you win, you'd break even.. then sell the accounts and make whatever profit you could from them.

And I couldn't do the same since I'd have to buy 3 for your 1.
    --
    (Hell, you might even be able to fudge the numbers with the right community admin.)

The odds are heavily stacked in your favor currently. This really is a no risk deal for you.

• ZagZag
    edited August 2017
    If you really have the money to spare, then click below and post the receipt here.

The community will appreciate it! And you get to design your own house - I promise to buy one in-game.