Custom content questions

Hi there,

Just pledged for the game and i've been wondering about the true capabilities of LoA when it comes to modding, so here are my questions:

- Can we make custom shaders for our worlds? I want make my own so if it rains, the terrains gets actually wet, or if it snows, the terrain becomes slowly snowy.
- How about custom postprocessing shaders? I would like to use custom bokeh DoF, lut changes and some other effects.
- Since the game is based on Unity, can we script in C#/Javascript GameComponents and expect them to work on our custom servers?
- Can I make my rule/behaviour scripts in C#/Javascript instead of using that disgusting LUA language?
- Is it posible to use custom assets such as textures, sounds or models? When are they downloaded to the client? Can i override existent textures?
- Can I mod the UI? What should I need to do that? Flash? HTML5? I would like to make a Diablo like Inventory. (no hard feeling, but i really hate the vanilla one)
- About terrain, I wonder...how big is Celador (In Unity units if posible) Is it a multi-tiled terrain or just a terrain?
- Can I use a MySQL DB for storing character information and then use it for other purposes such as displaying character sheets on a website of my own?

Probably some stuff is still in developments, but well, asking questions i always free and one of the reasons I pledged this game is because i was willing to really customize it.

Comments

• Starfire3DStarfire3D Auckland, New Zealand

+1
  • edited July 17
    It may be worth to take a look at the latest roundtable (first minutes, should be up at twitch). Supreem showed some pictures of experimental custom assets-servers and I recognised quite a bit from the unity-assets-store. I think Supreem also mentioned that Assets-Store-Packages have to be changed to work with LoA, making them compatible or something like that.

For the UI, I think Supreem said (2 Roundtables ago or something like that), that they are planning to make the UI full moddable.
  • YorlikYorlik www.arcanima.org
    edited July 17

- Can we make custom shaders for our worlds? I want make my own so if it rains, the terrains gets actually wet, or if it snows, the terrain becomes slowly snowy.

Not in the moment. LoA is currently using a system for exchanging mod data which doesn't (yet) allow custom shaders and scripts to be imported. I hope with the next iterations this will change. Custom assets are still in experimental state and not yet available to publicly playable servers. In the moment it's and an admins only feature and very new.

- How about custom postprocessing shaders? I would like to use custom bokeh DoF, lut changes and some other effects.

See above

- Since the game is based on Unity, can we script in C#/Javascript GameComponents and expect them to work on our custom servers?

See above. Server side logic is fully moddable and scripted in Lua. It has absolutely nothing to do with Unity. Only the client is built in Unity.

- Can I make my rule/behaviour scripts in C#/Javascript instead of using that disgusting LUA language?

Its possible with some hacky solutions. E.g. We can import external libraries and C# assemblies since the server is written in C#/Mono. And Lua actually is not disgusting but awesome and very well suited for the job. You can even do OOP with it, if you know how. Using C# I am not sure if you could develop in a way to just reload a script on the server for testing without a full server restart like we can do now. You'd most likely shoot yourself in the knee by not using Lua.

- Is it posible to use custom assets such as textures, sounds or models? When are they downloaded to the client? Can i override existent textures?

Yes, Yes and Yes. Not sure about texture overriding though, since we mod maps by making our own maps. You could surely hack the .asset files somehow in a non-supported legal borderline zone.

- Can I mod the UI? What should I need to do that? Flash? HTML5? I would like to make a Diablo like Inventory. (no hard feeling, but i really hate the vanilla one)

The UI is fully serverside and can be modded such, including custom graphics.
    There are 2 types of UI:
    The one we used up to now which is written in Lua and a new upcoming HTML window feature.
    Yes, you could play a Youtube video inside the game .... (I did it - it works).

- About terrain, I wonder...how big is Celador (In Unity units if posible) Is it a multi-tiled terrain or just a terrain?

CS is using WorldStreamer for Client Side map streaming. The maps can be infinitely big. Size is many thousands of Unity Units. And yes - the result is multi-tiled.

- Can I use a MySQL DB for storing character information and then use it for other purposes such as displaying character sheets on a website of my own?

Yes. We have the possibility to use LuaSQL or LuaSocket for external connections.

Cheers
    ~Yorlik
  • Well, thx for the answers ^^.

Given custom assets are still on test i hope you guys keep giving feedback on that so CS notice we want the game as modable as possible

• YorlikYorlik www.arcanima.org
    Honestly - we already have possibilities where - despite some remaining technical limitations - the real limit is your own imagination and dedication and the challenge is to create with what we already have. We already have much more possibilities to mod the game than NWN or UO ever had. What we don't yet have is simplified tools which would allow every unexperienced person to start easily. In the moment you need a developer attitude and some skill and persistence to get things done. But if you are ready to do it it's a ton of fun, at least for me it is.