Runebooks

Greetings,

I am new to this game, however, played lots of UO back in the day. It appears there are no runebooks or spells to recall, etc.. Is this something planned for the future? It was a pretty great thing to have in UO, would be sad not to see it again..

Comments

• lostpup0311lostpup0311 hartertjames@yahoo.com
    there are recall scrolls, I was watching the community round table from the first of this month, ill post the link, supreme talks about that during the video https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149225139 good to watch if your new :)
  • Right now I think you can link your "Bind Portal" spell to specific locations on the map, but I guess there are no runes nor runebooks. It is also not clear whether there will ever be one from what the developers mentioned in past roundtables.

I do think they should polish the Bind Portal spell, however. Right now when many players simultaneously open portals back to Eldeir Village, their portals superpose making it quite hard for someone to return through their own portal.
  • Not having runebooks similar to ultima online is very very disappointing may be a game breaker for some, myself included.
  • Starfire3DStarfire3D Auckland, New Zealand
    This is not Ultima Online 2.0
  • As far as I remember the developers are planning other means of fast transportation over long distances.
  • Fast travel just ruins the possibility for trade routes and good pvp.
  • This is not Ultima Online 2.0

It basically is UO2 not sure how you missed that one
  • Bryant said:

A more accurate statement is that the official Legends of Aria servers are in practice the unofficial spiritual successors of Ultima Online. And this is indisputable since the "vanilla" version of the game has not only been heavily influenced by UO, but also aims at filling the gap left by UO in the MMO genre/market. That is not to say, however, that the official LoA servers will inherit all the characteristics and systems from Ultima Online - runebooks might be out, for instance.

Now, it is also true that community servers will look very different from the "factory" or "vanilla" Legends of Aria, and that is also very welcome! In that sense Legends of Aria will likely be a very different game compared to Ultima Online. As a matter of fact, many of the community servers available at the moment have their own systems which differ significantly from the game's "vanilla" version.

• roadmasterroadmaster Calhoun, Ga.

there are recall scrolls, I was watching the community round table from the first of this month, ill post the link, supreme talks about that during the video https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149225139 good to watch if your new :)

Your link is dead ("Sorry. Unless you’ve got a time machine, that content is unavailable.")
  • We Need Rune Books. No other game that I can think of implemented a Rune Book feature like UO did. It is time.
  • Lord_GLord_G Aria
    Zag said:

Bryant said:

A more accurate statement is that the official Legends of Aria servers are in practice the unofficial spiritual successors of Ultima Online. And this is indisputable since the "vanilla" version of the game has not only been heavily influenced by UO, but also aims at filling the gap left by UO in the MMO genre/market. That is not to say, however, that the official LoA servers will inherit all the characteristics and systems from Ultima Online - runebooks might be out, for instance.

Now, it is also true that community servers will look very different from the "factory" or "vanilla" Legends of Aria, and that is also very welcome! In that sense Legends of Aria will likely be a very different game compared to Ultima Online. As a matter of fact, many of the community servers available at the moment have their own systems which differ significantly from the game's "vanilla" version.

Shroud of the Avatar is the Spiritual Successor of Ultima Online.

Sorry Charlie. Legends of Aria is not. From playing since a PVP tournement during kickstarter (or shortly after) this game has Ultima Online like elements but not the soul that made UO.

So I would call Legends of Aria is like Ultima Online. That is far as it goes.

I still play Ultima Online after 20+ years later on the official EA shards.
  • ZagZag
    edited July 9
    Read again. I said "unofficial spiritual successor". Nearly everyone here has played or continues to play UO, join the crowd. Nice to meet you, Charlie.
  • I read what you wrote the first time. Still no soul in this game to be known as an "unofficial spiritual successor".
  • ZagZag
    edited July 15
    Lord_G said:

I read what you wrote the first time. Still no soul in this game to be known as an "unofficial spiritual successor".

You are welcome to give suggestions and collaborate to make the game better, then. None of your posts in the forums have been very constructive so far.
  • Zag said:

Lord_G said:

I read what you wrote the first time. Still no soul in this game to be known as an "unofficial spiritual successor".

You are welcome to give suggestions and collaborate to make the game better, then. None of your posts in the forums have been very constructive so far.
    My positive response in supporting the idea of a in game map that another back suggested is not constructive?
  • ZagZag
    edited July 16
    Oh sorry, I don't really consider borderline incomprehensible 129 character posts as constructive well-thought constributions. As a rule of thumb, if there are tweets which are better and/or longer than your post, maybe you should not post at all. So, no. Let's hope you can do better (and with fewer grammatical mistakes) next time.
  • EdgeEdge Canada
    The pvp feel isn't even close to UO in shroud, how the hell can you say its a successor? You die, you lose only 2 random items. It looks like elder scroll online, but with worst graphic.
  • Thibout, the wiseThibout, the wise Amazon Rainforest
    Runebooks are important and the most unique feature UO has so far. It will jump LoA to the top of the heap.
  • tt1x1tt1x1 Brazil
    I believe that if they allowed us to have runebooks it wouldn't break the PvP / Commerce, but I believe it should be limited, for example, you shouldn't be allowed to mark a rune inside a dungeon , or in the middle of the bandit camp. I don't know how dificult it would be to implement that though and it might be harder than I think... but if possible, I believe it would be a great addition and not so 'game breaking' as some might consider.
  • EnzietEnziet Canada
    Some other form of travel would be nice. Recall scrolls work, but runebooks were not a good idea in my opinion. Rune bots for mining / material gathering still runs rampant today in UO. It's something I've hated about the game for years. AFK resource gathering. ugh...
  • Agreed runebooks were not good in the end. It caused more inflation in both skils and money since it was risk-free with almost no cost to gate/recall around for macroers/farmers.

People are acting UO is perfect when this part of the game is totally broken.

Travelling is much more alive and realistic in this game. I get the feeling i had as a new player in UO walking around exploring the world. I also think navigating in this game where on some maps without clear roads you could probably could get lost is a cool feature. If the world grows moongates could be a good thing to add though. Gateing/recall should only be to bound city or personal location though.